LA Angels

Wild Bill

Geez, a guy who is on track to hit 40HRs and 110 RBIs is "borderline offensively" wish we had three or four more "average" guys like that.

Bill, if Gibbons hits 35 HRs with 100 RBI, I will buy you a beer.

I look at career statistics. Maybe he has improved. Who knows?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is only average or borderline when it help in the context of their post. Gibbons is putting up AS numbers so far this year.

He's hitting a lot of hr's, but lets not carried away. AS corner OF's usually have OPS' over .900, Jay's is .848. His OBP is a pitiful .310.

Is Wild Bill a reporter? I've noticed no one has asked for a source so maybe it's commonly known that he/she is involved in the baseball biz (?).

Wild Bill is not a reporter that we know of, but he has built up a tremendous amount of street cred on these boards. He told us several hours in advance that Lee Mazilli had been canned. When people doubted, he said keep watching the t.v. When the news broke a few hours later, he immediately became ligit.

I think it is extremely unlikely the Angels trade Santana and especially Lackey for Gibbons.

Yeah, me too as I said earlier, I'm just surprised some don't think that's a good return for Gibbons.

Interesting. Gibbons's high contact style of hitting does fit in with the Angels.

I wonder if they want Jay for 1B since Vlad's got RF covered.

IIRC, the Angels were trying to sign Lackey long term this spring, and they couldn't get anything done. He's the guy I'd be jazzed about.

Santana would be okay, but Jay's a decent player in his own right.

I bet we're interested in Nick Adenhart, who's 6-1, 1.90 ERA/0.93 WHIP in with a 54/10 K/BB in 50 IP so far this year in low A.

Could they be dangling Jered Weaver?

You would think the Orioles are looking for a starter right now.

He will never be a high OB guy but he is hitting more then HR's. He is hitting for extra bases and driving in runs. I am not a true stat guy but I would like to see is stats now compared to other RF's at this point.

How about this unlikely trade:

Angels get:

Gibbons

R Lopez

J Lopez

Orioles get:

Lackey or Santana

Kotchman

Alfonzo

Works for me, although the word unlikely does rain true. We both agree that it's very unlikely they trade Lackey or Santana for Gibbons, and on top of that I don't think they'd trade Kotchman and Alfonzo for Javy and Rodrigo.

I think it is extremely unlikely the Angels trade Santana and especially Lackey for Gibbons.

You are right SG but throw in Matos also or maybe Javy. Look at the LAA outfield, a disaster right now except for Vlad. LAA is rich in pitching, bullpen and starters. Kotchman/Mathis are terrible. Anderson/Erstad are hurt, they need offense, why they want Gibbons. O's are demanding quality pitching for Gibbons and whoever, and may get it. The deal is close.

Works for me, although the word unlikely does rain true. We both agree that it's very unlikely they trade Lackey or Santana for Gibbons, and on top of that I don't think they'd trade Kotchman and Alfonzo for Javy and Rodrigo.

I do think that is unlikely, in fact i will even say HIGHLY unlikely.

BUT, if WB is correct and they are looking to deal him to the Angels for a starter, who could we be lookign at?

Unlikely the Angels are trading Colon. No way we would want JEff Weaver and i would hope we would not trade Jay for Escobar.

So, that leaves LAckey and Santana.

Also, if they do want Jay to play first, make sense that Kotchman could be available.

Maybe the pitcher is Escobar and really, Escobar and Kotchman for Lopez, LOpez and Gibbons is a fair deal as well. Maybe it is not a 1 for 1.

You are right SG but throw in Matos also or maybe Javy. Look at the LAA outfield, a disaster right now except for Vlad. LAA is rich in pitching, bullpen and starters. Kotchman/Mathis are terrible. Anderson/Erstad are hurt, they need offense, why they want Gibbons. O's are demanding quality pitching for Gibbons and whoever, and may get it. The deal is close.

Wouldn't be surprised if Escobar was being discussed instead of Lackey/Santana.

Archived