Orioles draft thread

Sports Guy

10th round pick is: Emeel Salem, CF, U of Alabama Tuscaloosa.

Skinny: Salem made as much of a jump as any draft-eligible player in the league, proving a quick study on the field and off. He was an academic all-American and the only player to be a unanimous choice as all-SEC. He's a throwback player, going all out all the time. He is a wiz in center field, tracking down balls in the alleys as well as those scorched over his head, and has a fringe-average arm that plays up because of its accuracy. He needs to get stronger, but he makes consistent contact with the top half of the ball and sticks to his game: spraying balls to both alleys and taking advantage of his 70 speed on the 20-80 scale. He needs to work counts more effectively to profile as a leadoff hitter in pro ball. He has well-below-average power and a thin frame that means he probably won't develop much more. He has played his way into the draft's first day, and could be taken as high as the sixth to ninth round.

BTW, gotta run for about an hour. I will post more when I get back. Thanks in advance for the rep points. :P

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12th round pick - Brandon Tripp, CF, Cal. St. Fullerton

Three of the toolsiest Titans should go next, even though only one, outfielder Brandon Tripp, was performing this spring. Tripp swings and misses a lot, negating his above-average raw power. He's athletic enough to repeat his funky swing and to play an average center field, and figures to go somewhere between the 10th and 15th rounds.

Man, if I had known the Orioles were going to draft the entire Titan team I would have gone and watch them play.;)

Just got in, so I'm just now hearing the draft results, but I went to undergrad at Clemson, and watched Jason Berken Play for several years, so I thought I'd give a little insight: He's got pretty good stuff, a fastball that sits in the low nineties, and a decent slider and changeup. He's adept at changing speeds and has a good feel for when to throw the changeup. His biggest attribute, by far, though is his makeup. He's an absolutely terrific young man and a leader. He was even named team captain by his teammates while he was sitting out the year due to said Tommy John surgery. I absolutely love this pick where it was made.

Just got in, so I'm just now hearing the draft results, but I went to undergrad at Clemson, and watched Jason Berken Play for several years, so I thought I'd give a little insight: He's got pretty good stuff, a fastball that sits in the low nineties, and a decent slider and changeup. He's adept at changing speeds and has a good feel for when to throw the fastball. His biggest attribute, by far, though is his makeup. He's an absolutely terrific young man and a leader. He was even named team captain by his teammates while he was sitting out the year due to said Tommy John surgery. I absolutely love this pick where it was made.

Thanks for the inside scoop on Berken. I really, really like this pick as well. I think down the line Berken may be the biggest surprise for us from this draft.

Thanks for the inside scoop on Berken. I really, really like this pick as well. I think down the line Berken may be the biggest surprise for us from this draft.

Excellent work Bro!!!

As always you come up big on draft day. Say hello to the family for me.

10th round pick is: Emeel Salem, CF, U of Alabama Tuscaloosa.

Skinny: Salem made as much of a jump as any draft-eligible player in the league, proving a quick study on the field and off. He was an academic all-American and the only player to be a unanimous choice as all-SEC. He's a throwback player, going all out all the time. He is a wiz in center field, tracking down balls in the alleys as well as those scorched over his head, and has a fringe-average arm that plays up because of its accuracy. He needs to get stronger, but he makes consistent contact with the top half of the ball and sticks to his game: spraying balls to both alleys and taking advantage of his 70 speed on the 20-80 scale. He needs to work counts more effectively to profile as a leadoff hitter in pro ball. He has well-below-average power and a thin frame that means he probably won't develop much more. He has played his way into the draft's first day, and could be taken as high as the sixth to ninth round.

BTW, gotta run for about an hour. I will post more when I get back. Thanks in advance for the rep points. :P

Been watching Emeel play some this season. I can say that he goes all out all the time. I don't know if that means he'll be any good, but he's fast, all over the place in the outfield, and gets on base pretty well. My friend here thinks he won't leave school though b/c he has a 3.9 and wants to graduate. I figure he can graduate later as he's played himself into a pretty good draft position.

Doesn't sound very promising. I'd have to say I'm disappointed with this pick. 23? Geez! I didn't see this guy listed on the 200 prospects by BA, unless I missed it somewhere. Who said it was good value?

His birthday is in December. He'll be 22 all of this season. Looks like a Brian Roberts type but he didn't look that fast in his video.

Blake is a great kid who lead a very good Titan team in BA and OBP. He's a work-a-holic who's nickname is "Rat." He's a SS who will likely project as a utility guy in the Bigs.

12th round pick - Brandon Tripp, CF, Cal. St. Fullerton

Man, if I had known the Orioles were going to draft the entire Titan team I would have gone and watch them play.;)

You should be so lucky! :)

Brandon has a bunch of raw power. I see him more as a corner OF guy.

Been watching Emeel play some this season. I can say that he goes all out all the time. I don't know if that means he'll be any good, but he's fast, all over the place in the outfield, and gets on base pretty well. My friend here thinks he won't leave school though b/c he has a 3.9 and wants to graduate. I figure he can graduate later as he's played himself into a pretty good draft position.

Thanks for the scoop. Emeel can always take classes during the offseason and graduate. I seriously doubt that will effect whether or not he signs. He sounds like a Juan Pierre type of player. Hopefully his OBP will be a bit better.

Archived