Delgado was at Ruth SteakHouse tonight!!

Dundalk Luvs Os

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Delgado was outspoken about Vieques (sp.?) as well, but he was also vehemently opposed to the Iraq debacle.

"I think it's the stupidest war ever,'' the Blue Jays' power-hitting first baseman told the Toronto Star earlier this month after someone finally noticed that whenever "God Bless America'' was played in major league ballparks, Delgado would disappear until the song was over.

I think you're right about the 7th inning stretch part, though. Appreciate the correction.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5482059/

I find the playing of God Bless America in the 7th inning stretch to be insulting to my intelligence. I'm an American and I love my country. I'm glad to recognize our National Anthem before the game as it is a chance to show respect for the sacrifice that so many have given and are giving to protect our way of life and our core beliefs. But the second time around is so arbitrary and forced patriotism it makes me sick. Imagine going to the theatre and having two political anthems played, one before the play and one at intermission. We're accustomed to it in baseball so it doesn't seem so bizarre, but it really is. So when I heard Delgado was blowing off God Bless America, I couldn't have cared less. He's not even American! How pompous is it for us to be insulted that a foreign player doesn't choose to honor two daily doses of our country's self recognition. If a player won't honor our National Anthem, for all they are profiting and the opportunity they are getting from our country, I say deport the bum...NOW. Second time around, he can sit in the dugout and scratch himself.....I could care less.

I find the playing of God Bless America in the 7th inning stretch to be insulting to my intelligence. I'm an American and I love my country. I'm glad to recognize our National Anthem before the game as it is a chance to show respect for the sacrifice that so many have given and are giving to protect our way of life and our core beliefs. But the second time around is so arbitrary and forced patriotism it makes me sick. Imagine going to the theatre and having two political anthems played, one before the play and one at intermission. We're accustomed to it in baseball so it doesn't seem so bizarre, but it really is. So when I heard Delgado was blowing off God Bless America, I couldn't have cared less. He's not even American! How pompous is it for us to be insulted that a foreign player doesn't choose to honor two daily doses of our country's self recognition. If a player won't honor our National Anthem, for all they are profiting and the opportunity they are getting from our country, I say deport the bum...NOW. Second time around, he can sit in the dugout and scratch himself.....I could care less.

I'd get rid of the National Anthem too. It only became tradition during WW II and then with the Cold War. People go to the ballpark to drink beer, eat hot dogs and watch baseball. Nobody cares about troops engaged in wars of imperial aggression around the globe. Next.

Amen, let's not get it all political and shut down. It's gonna get moved soon enough and die a lonely fate in a subforum no one ever ventures into.

The mods should allow a general thread on baseball and politics, because it's foolish, IMO, to think that you can separate the two. But I agree that my last post should be the end of it so this thread doesn't die.

Archived