Pirates next in Union's crosshairs?

sakata_catching

Trinidad posted that there was, in the CBA. That's why the union has the right to institute a "floor" but mgmt can't arbitrarily institute a ceiling. It will have to be negotiated in the next CBA. When is that btw?

And Drungo's right, as always, about the 150 range. Especially that it most likely affects only the Yankees. I can see a chance that mgmt would bring it to the table. Not baseball, but the Yankees are out of control now. I could see a lot of owners pushing for it.

If management did decide to go to the mat over this... it could cause another work stoppage, which neither side wants. So it's not very likely. Now IF the union does go after another team, Pirates or whomever, all bets are off.

I got that part. But according to Frobby's post the Marlins spent $36.8 million on payroll last season. Did they receive more than that in revenue sharing? That seems hard to believe, unless revenue sharing also includes money received from league-wide TV deals, MLBEI, MLBTV.com, etc. I thought in MLB terms that revenue sharing referred only to money that teams liked the Yankees were taxed for high payrolls, that was then distributed to teams with lesser revenues.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got that part. But according to Frobby's post the Marlins spent $36.8 million on payroll last season. Did they receive more than that in revenue sharing? That seems hard to believe' date=' unless revenue sharing also includes money received from league-wide TV deals, MLBEI, MLBTV.com, etc. I thought in MLB terms that revenue sharing referred only to money that teams liked the Yankees were taxed for high payrolls, that was then distributed to teams with lesser revenues.[/quote']

They certainly didn't receive more than that last year. I don't know the exact figure but it most CERTAINLY didn't match their payroll!

Still, it scared them. They gave JJ a sweet deal. All the Uggla/whoever else trade talk is dead. They were forced to do what they NEEDED to do... to justify the rest of MLB to send them all that money. ;)

They certainly didn't receive more than that last year. I don't know the exact figure but it most CERTAINLY didn't match their payroll!

Still, it scared them. They gave JJ a sweet deal. All the Uggla/whoever else trade talk is dead. They were forced to do what they NEEDED to do... to justify the rest of MLB to send them all that money. ;)

Post. Post. Post!

I HATE 4am! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

The Orioles have to be among the teams being discussed. Our payroll now, compared with our payroll a few years ago, and the profits this team pulls in can't be ignored. Not to mention the division we play in.

I hope the union targets the Orioles next.

I hope that Angelos tells them to go fly a kite.

If revenues in this league were properly shared and schedules were balanced and there was no interleague play (i.e., if everyone started the race from the same starting line, subject to the ineptitude of ownership/management) then the Yankee$ wouldn't be pissing and moaning all the time about what other teams were doing with "our money" and the union would have no cause to worry about payroll...because everyone would have an equal chance at the brass ring and an equal incentive to try and win. Until that day comes I think Jeffrey Loria is a complete freakin' genius and that every team not named Yankee$, Red $ox, Cubs, Angels or Dodgers should be run almost exactly like the Marlins.

I totally agree.

Archived