Duke vs Maryland

Sports Guy

Kind of like most every season. A disciplined, good shooting, very well-coached team that struggles when they run into big, athletic teams.

(That's not meant to be a knock. Most teams struggle against teams like that.)

Duke would have been able to go deeper had guys not left early over the last few years...I know a lot of schools can say that and I am not trying to make it seem like Duke is the only one...But think about Duke this year if Henderson stayed and EWill didn't transfer...Hell, even if Ewill didn't transfer, they would be a lot better IMO.

Next year, they lose Thomas and Scheyer...But it looks like Singler will come back and they aren't likely to lose anyone else unless an unexpected transfer happens. So, you add a very solid freshman class(that could get better if Ross committs to Duke) to an already experienced Duke team and they are going to be a top team next year.

They have seemingly been one player away...And it is a guy that can just take over a game when he wants...Henderson was that guy last year but there wasn't enough around him.

If this team had that type of player, they would be a final 4 team...but they don't...So, it is going to come down to matchups.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duke just killed a very talented and big UNC front line on the offensive boards...They had like 23 or so.

MD is going to have to be better than that...although Duke did get a lot of boards off of the 1000 UNC blocked shots and their guys going for blocks..May not be the issue with MD.

Duke would have been able to go deeper had guys not left early over the last few years...I know a lot of schools can say that and I am not trying to make it seem like Duke is the only one...But think about Duke this year if Henderson stayed and EWill didn't transfer...Hell, even if Ewill didn't transfer, they would be a lot better IMO.

Almost every top program can make that argument. If players don't leave early, UNC probably doesn't lose a game. Unfortunately, that's just the way college bball is now...and I think it takes a away a lot of the intrigue.

Yes I am a "homer" isnt this a Maryland Basketball board?

I believe seeing most home games since 1985 and ACC tournements, 2 Final Fours live helps make you a true fan. People who watch the games on TV, maybe go to one game if they are lucky can call me a "homer" all they want.

For all the people who think Thomas is the bomb, looks like he is out. Hurt his leg against NC, papers down there reporting that.

Singler and Smith the key, control them and 2 of Hayes,vasquez and Milbourn have a good game along with Williams playing like he has Terps win.

As I meant before, no team is as bad as they look, see terps/W&M , Terps/Clemson or Duke/Gtown or even Gtown/SFlorida. It is college students playing and who knows what is going on in there lives that can affect there game. How did you feel if you were having girl trouble in school? Or had a tough week with your studies?

Yes, I went to college but stll cannot write, sorry. I was a math major.

Almost every top program can make that argument. If players don't leave early, UNC probably doesn't lose a game. Unfortunately, that's just the way college bball is now...and I think it takes a away a lot of the intrigue.

Think of what we will have with the way players leave early now, and a 96 team tournament. That will be really nice for the game...

For all the people who think Thomas is the bomb, looks like he is out. Hurt his leg against NC, papers down there reporting that.

Doubtful, but not ruled out is what I see.

DURHAM, N.C. - Duke forward Lance Thomas is doubtful for Saturday's game against Maryland with what team officials say is a severely bruised bone in his right knee.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bal-terpsduke0211,0,1053244.story

In what way is Mason Plumlee undoubtedly more talented than Jordan Williams?
He's certainly more athletic, which is mostly what is showing up right now. I don't think his skills are at the same levels as Jordan's right now, but he can do things physically that Jordan just can't even come close to.

Sort of a Chris Wilcox v Lonny Baxter comparison. Plumlee may end up being more of a Corey Maggette type who leaves Duke before becoming a great college basketball player because of that great talent.

He's certainly more athletic, which is mostly what is showing up right now. I don't think his skills are at the same levels as Jordan's right now, but he can do things physically that Jordan just can't even come close to.

Sort of a Chris Wilcox v Lonny Baxter comparison. Plumlee may end up being more of a Corey Maggette type who leaves Duke before becoming a great college basketball player because of that great talent.

Plumlee has a better overall basketball skill set..Ball handling, shooting, etc...The difference is he isn't asked to do much now, so Jordan Williams looks more impressive.

As far as Thomas...That will be a big loss to Duke in this game...His defense and hustle plays are huge pluses for them..Kind of like MD losing Mosely. The one thing I am hoping to see is Mason Plumlee getting more time and doing a lot more with Thomas out.

Plumlee has a better overall basketball skill set..Ball handling, shooting, etc...The difference is he isn't asked to do much now, so Jordan Williams looks more impressive.
Maybe his overall skillset is better, but being better overall doesn't mean a lot if you can't do the things you're asked to do really well. Not saying Plumlee won't become a great player if he stays long enough, but Jordan's better now because he makes more of an impact with the skills he's got than Plumlee does with the skills he has, even if he does possess a wider range of skills than Williams.

I don't buy the "not asked to do much now" argument. If he could do those things so well, he'd do them. He's got a ton of talent and potential, but saying he can already do all those things, but its just that K doesn't ask him to is a cop out, IMO. Why would they be holding him back when having him do things he's capable of would make them a better team? They obviously wouldn't, is the answer. He has the potential to be a great all-around player, but he doesn't do those things well enough right now to be considered a great all-around player.

Maybe his overall skillset is better, but being better overall doesn't mean a lot if you can't do the things you're asked to do really well. Not saying Plumlee won't become a great player if he stays long enough, but Jordan's better now because he makes more of an impact with the skills he's got than Plumlee does with the skills he has, even if he does possess a wider range of skills than Williams.

I don't buy the "not asked to do much now" argument. If he could do those things so well, he'd do them. He's got a ton of talent and potential, but saying he can already do all those things, but its just that K doesn't ask him to is a cop out, IMO. Why would they be holding him back when having him do things he's capable of would make them a better team? They obviously wouldn't, is the answer. He has the potential to be a great all-around player, but he doesn't do those things well enough right now to be considered a great all-around player.

Well, when you have 3 players that are giving you 50-60 points a game, your role as a scorer and things like that are going to be more in the role player type.

Mason does need to do more for Duke to go deep in the tourney.

I agree that not everything can be done well right now...I never suggested any differently, so not sure why you are even mentioning this.

That being said, I go back to my original point and that is that he is the most talented/gifted player in this game..and Jordan Williams isn't #2 on that list. Guys like Greivis, Smith, Singler, Milbourne are all more talented than Williams at this point.

Archived