Pie continues to impress

ChaosLex

He was at .789 last year. He was 24 years old, and he's barely had 500 major league AB. I'd bet on him being .800-.850 vs. RHP this year.

People seem to be forgetting how great his August was compared to September. He had wRC of 33 runs last year. 14.7 came in August. Nearly 50% of his wRC came in the month of August where he had 25% of his PA.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, that .616 OPS in July and that .685 in Sept/Oct were really impressive. Pie was molten hot in August last season, no one is denying that. I just think some of us need to see more before handing him a starting job.

With Jones' and Reimold's injury histories I fully expect Pie to get enough at bats this season so that the team has a good grasp on what he is as a player by the end of the season.

Good, fair post.

Why should they be? You don't seem to consider Reimold's injuries with respect to his fielding or hitting last season.

What? What a horribly uneducated post.

I have said several times that I think Reimold's defense is better than we saw last year and I have never said anything about his offense other than it is probably premature to expect an 875+ OPS, which so many are.

Please, get your facts straight.

As far as Pie's injuries..Of course they should be considered when discussing what he did for one month.

He went 6-28 with 6 walks in the first 8 games of the month...He then missed some time due to a back issue and went 11-41 when he go back...he also had some leg issues...of course, none as bad as the one that ended his season early.

But yes, it is very obvious that if you look at one month's worth of data and the player was hurt for most of that month, that you have to take that into account.

Felix Pie is like a Rorschach test: people see what they want to see. Personally, I think he's got what it takes, plus some extra, but I agree that he has to prove that. The only thing about him that surprises me is what a lightning rod he's been around here. Usually that happens when a player speaks to the media and says something that's not a Crash Davis cliche, but Pie hasn't said beans. The crapping on him started before he even showed up. Some folks were taking last year's visa issue as evidence of him being a lazy slacker who doesn't give a damn. Then, when he misplayed a couple balls while he was getting used to LF, some folks were ready to lynch the guy. Not sure why he attracts so much negative opinion based on not-much, but he certainly does. 'Makes me root for him even more than I would do anyway.

People seem to be forgetting how great his August was compared to September. He had wRC of 33 runs last year. 14.7 came in August. Nearly 50% of his wRC came in the month of August where he had 25% of his PA.

I haven't forgotten anything. Players have hot streaks and cold streaks. Overall, Pie had a .763 OPS and that's what matters most. I expect him to do better this year, just like I expected Jones to do better last year, just like I expect Wieters to do better this year. That expectation could turn out to be wrong, I fully acknowledge that. But the fact that Pie got to camp early, seems comfortable socially and has looked good in BP gives him a big leg up on last year.

Moving Markakis to 1st when he has given no reason for it is completely illogical and borderline moronic. 1st base is where outfielders go when they cannot play defense, or their defense is gone. Markakis is nowhere near that point.

I only said it as a last resort type measure and also only due to the fact we have a surplus of good outfielders and a lack of good firstbasemen.

What? What a horribly uneducated post.

I have said several times that I think Reimold's defense is better than we saw last year and I have never said anything about his offense other than it is probably premature to expect an 875+ OPS, which so many are.

Please, get your facts straight.

As far as Pie's injuries..Of course they should be considered when discussing what he did for one month.

He went 6-28 with 6 walks in the first 8 games of the month...He then missed some time due to a back issue and went 11-41 when he go back...he also had some leg issues...of course, none as bad as the one that ended his season early.

But yes, it is very obvious that if you look at one month's worth of data and the player was hurt for most of that month, that you have to take that into account.

Yea, I was serious about discounting Pie's injuries :rolleyes:

What I don't hear from you, with all of you talk about Pie improving at the major league level as a hitter and suffering from injury is that Reimold, with his obvious athleticism, could very well, if healthy, end up as an average or even above average left fielder. You seem very eager to take a young, althletic young man and take him out of the outfield.

Last year Reimold did more the Pie did to earn a starting position in the outfield. However enamared you are with Pie's tools you should be able to realise that.

What I mean is that I think Markakis will be the best of the three. I think Nick can have some .950 OPS seasons as he adds power. 1.000 OPS may be a stretch.

I think Markakis has the least power potential of Jones and Pie. I have no doubt if all three are regulars or starters both Jones and Pie will hit more homers than NM. None whatsoever.

I think Markakis has the least power potential of Jones and Pie. I have no doubt if all three are regulars or starters both Jones and Pie will hit more homers than NM. None whatsoever.

Jones yes, Pie maybe. But that's just homers. Nick hits for higher average and he hits a lot more doubles (Nick has been in the mid to high 40s, Jones in the low 20s). Overall, Nick has been and will remain the best hitter of the three in my humble opinion.

Archived