Pie continues to impress

ChaosLex

Perhaps lost in the Pie/Jones/Reimold/Markakis/Scott OF/1B/DH situation is the fact that the Orioles have an abundance of immensely talented young players....something we should be elated about instead of arguing where they will play. Unlike some others here, I am willing to suggest that the Orioles will find a way to maximize the situation to the benefit of the team.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that Reimold is recovering from foot surgery, and really hasn't tested himself outdoors, is all the more reason why Pie should get more reps in LF and Reimold more at DH.

It is hard for anyone not to agree with this line of thinking. Reimold's value is in his bat and much of Pie's value is in his glove. There shouldn't be a huge drop in the lineup if Reimold serves as the DH and Pie serves as the LF. The biggest issue is that Reimold and Scott would need to split at bats. The more I think about our 5 outfielders that could start for most of the teams in baseball the more I start to think that at bats are going to be hard to come by if someone doesn't go down with an injury. Scott is making something like $4M this season. If he gets hot before the All-Star break I try to move him for something, because if his salary next season is in the $7M range, then I would rather spend that money on someone else. Maybe trade in Scott and Atkins along with their $10M combined salary and get a real first baseman! ;)

One cannot help but wonder if perhaps Pie is indeed a budding superstar every bit as much as Adam Jones? If so, they really really, need to get Reimold to switch to first base and if he can't maybe even consider moving Markakis to first base as he is left handed and athletic enough to make the switch I believe.

Moving Markakis to 1st when he has given no reason for it is completely illogical and borderline moronic. 1st base is where outfielders go when they cannot play defense, or their defense is gone. Markakis is nowhere near that point.

I will still take Markakis for overall potential. However, Pie showed plenty of power last year. 9 HR in 252 AB. I have little doubt that he could be a 20-25 HR guy if he played every day.

Frobby, "potential" to me is something that hasn't yet happened, but could. In baseball, it would be an unrealized ceiling.

Do you believe that Markakis has significantly more in him than he has showed already? His 09 makes me wonder whether 08 is close to the best we can expect. I hasten to add that I would be happy with another seven or eight seasons at his 08 level, maybe a slight bump up for a career year.

But significantly better than he was in 08? I have my doubts.

Woah now guys, lets not get too excited over this. It's just spring training. If Pie produces in his superoutfieldsub capacity, then his playing time will increase. However, he hasn't played a game yet this season, and looked absolutely atrocious at the onset of last year. A few months of good ball does not a budding superstar make.

Woohoo for depth in the outfield! :)

The Orioles could have had such a simple solution had they not signed Atkins and just handed first to Scott.

It is just BP BUT I want to hear that his swing still looks right...That his improved swing mechanics are still there.

Normally a solution would be an answer to a problem... I don't see a problem with having a lot of talented players.

Normally a solution would be an answer to a problem... I don't see a problem with having a lot of talented players.

I agree 100%. Having too many talented players has not been a problem here. We could have given away Scott but based on guys like Branyan, Damaon, Blalock staying on the free agent market until ST there was no demand for Luke.

As for Felix, he will get his chance, BP against a coach is just for getting timing and swing down.

Woah now guys, lets not get too excited over this. It's just spring training. If Pie produces in his superoutfieldsub capacity, then his playing time will increase. However, he hasn't played a game yet this season, and looked absolutely atrocious at the onset of last year. A few months of good ball does not a budding superstar make.

Woohoo for depth in the outfield! :)

Sure, I'm psyched for the outfield depth but I think Pie is a bit more than just "depth" in the outfield. I'm not putting words in your mouth, but I'm on board with those who think that Pie might have just as much superstar potential as Jones.

Hearing these reports about how Pie is tearing it up is music to my ears. For some reason, I've just rooted hard for the guy ever since he was left for dead following last year's start. He just seems so coachable and responsive to Crow's teachings. He was downright awesome to watch toward the end of the year last year.

Even if both Pie and AJ reach their ceilings, it's an enviable situation to be in!

Frobby, "potential" to me is something that hasn't yet happened, but could. In baseball, it would be an unrealized ceiling.

Do you believe that Markakis has significantly more in him than he has showed already? His 09 makes me wonder whether 08 is close to the best we can expect. I hasten to add that I would be happy with another seven or eight seasons at his 08 level, maybe a slight bump up for a career year.

But significantly better than he was in 08? I have my doubts.

What I mean is that I think Markakis will be the best of the three. I think Nick can have some .950 OPS seasons as he adds power. 1.000 OPS may be a stretch.

Sounds like you are the one that is pigeon-holed by this post. Why not see what this season brings first before being such a downer. Then you can have at the, "I told you so's" late in the season and sound like a champion.

I don't think so. Then again, I'm not the one running this organization. What I will guarantee you is that there will not be ONE day this summer where we see this lineup, despite it being our best players on the field all at once.

Roberts - 2b

Markakis - RF

Wieters - C

Reimold - DH

Jones - LF

Tejada - 3b

Atkins - 1b

Izturis - SS

Pie - CF

If this happens even once, I'll shut up.

Moving Markakis to first is such a waste of his arm...the man continually has good showings in outfield assists year after year. I would have no problem with Reimold making the switch, however.

Yea, as a general rule of thumb you usually play your best outfielders in the outfield. Since the O's outfielders rank like this:

1. Pie

2. Jones

3. Markakis

4. Scott

5. Reimold

... you'd think that Scott or Reimold would get the reps at another position if it's necessary.

I don't think so. Then again, I'm not the one running this organization. What I will guarantee you is that there will not be ONE day this summer where we see this lineup, despite it being our best players on the field all at once.

Roberts - 2b

Markakis - RF

Wieters - C

Reimold - DH

Jones - LF

Tejada - 3b

Atkins - 1b

Izturis - SS

Pie - CF

You are right, you will never see Pie batting 9th behind Izturis because it doesn't make sense to have a batter as weak as Izturis hitting ahead of a pretty good hitter like Pie.

I also agree you won't seen Jones in LF with Pie in CF unless something really drastic happens.

Roberts - 2b

Markakis - RF

Wieters - C

Reimold - DH

Jones - LF

Tejada - 3b

Atkins - 1b

Izturis - SS

Pie - CF

It's still premature to conclude that Pie is a better fielder than Jones.

Pie's defensive work in CF last year was better than Jones' in 2009, obviously, but I think Jones' work in 2008 was better than Pie's defense last year. Jones clearly should be given every chance to prove last year's poor defensive year was a fluke. If in July or August he's still playing at about his level of last year, then you make the move. But its clearly the right move to give Jones the CF job to start the year.

Archived