Lugo Traded to O's

BillySmith

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup!

EWWWW:puke::down:

cindysoesntluvhim:mad:

Lugo was found not guilty of misdemeanor assault after his wife stated that she had exaggerated the story;

This is the stuff that never gets reported after some sensationalist CRAP journalism. :angryfire:

It's in either the 8th or 9th inning. Palmer lays into him pretty good.

I believe it was the 8th inning. I may be wrong but I believe the word that Palmer used was pathetic. If you listen to it, Hunter was going on about how players had to finish strong and cited the case of Jeff Reboulet thinking he had made the team, some years back, only to be cut when Jose Morban was claimed. I thought it listening to Hunter that he knew something and now that Lugo is an Oriole, I am pretty sure someone tipped him.

This is the stuff that never gets reported after some sensationalist CRAP journalism. :angryfire:

Maybe, or maybe she may have also had second thoughts about getting her husband in trouble. You probably don't make up that your head was slammed into the hood of a car if it didn't happen.

Maybe, or maybe she may have also had second thoughts about getting her husband in trouble. You probably don't make up that your head was slammed into the hood of a car if it didn't happen.

Maybe. Who knows?

Not. Guilty.

Maybe. Who knows?

Not. Guilty.

The assault allegedly happened Wednesday afternoon as Mabel Lugo, 25, was driving her husband to the ballpark for the game. She told officers she tried to discuss ongoing marital problems with him, but he didn't want to talk about it and started to turn up the radio, police reports show. Lugo's wife told police that when she tried to turn the volume down, her husband punched her in the mouth, causing her to hit the back of her head on the window.

She told police she almost lost control of the car as they were traveling in the 3800 block of the Eastex Freeway. When the couple reached the stadium, Lugo got out of the car and began taking his wife's house key off the keychain, police reports show. She objected, she said, before he grabbed her hair and slammed her against the vehicle. Lugo's wife told officers she didn't want to make a "big scene" inside the stadium because of his position. She drove a few blocks away, to the 1500 block of Preston near La Branch, and called police around 3 p.m.

When officers arrived, they found her sitting in a 2002 GMC Denali. She was crying and spoke little English, so they called a Spanish-speaking officer to help translate. Police noticed a slight lump on her forehead, bruising to her face and blood on her lip, a report states.

After initially turning down medical attention, she was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Joseph Hospital, where she was treated and released. She told police she was willing to prosecute because it wasn't her husband's first domestic assault, police reports show.

Police consulted the Harris County district attorney's office about charges and obtained an arrest warrant before taking Lugo into custody at Minute Maid Park around 10:45 p.m.

At trial, she said she hit herself in the head with the truck so bad she was hospitalized. You can see why the jury had to find him innocent when she changed her story the day of the trial, but it's pretty obvious what actually happened.

At trial, she said she hit herself in the head with the truck so bad she was hospitalized. You can see why the jury had to find him innocent when she changed her story the day of the trial, but it's pretty obvious what actually happened.

I don't want people to think I'm a monster. And I don't want to hijack this thread so this is the LAST I say on it...

If someone is found Guilty of an offense, that follows them for the rest of their life. Shouldn't a Not Guilty verdict have the same legal weight?

:scratchchinhmm:

Just because she said she exaggerated it doesn't mean she did. Domestic violence isn't just physical, it's psychological. And even if she did exaggerate at first, he did assault her and she did have to go hospital to have her injuries taken care of.

I'm willing to overlook a lot of things about professional athletes. I don't think they should be role models. But people who assault other people that aren't physically capable of defending themselves is something I have a lot of trouble with.

I don't want people to think I'm a monster. And I don't want to hijack this thread so this is the LAST I say on it...

If someone is found Guilty of an offense, that follows them for the rest of their life. Shouldn't a Not Guilty verdict have the same legal weight?

It does have the same legal weight, but as fans, we want players of good character. Hitting your wife (most likely) makes the legal finding irrelevant. While there certainly is the possibility that she made it up and he truly is an innocent victim, history and statistics show that she probably changed her story. It would be a complete non-issue for a lesser offense (see Lincecum pot possession).

Edited to add that you are most certainly not a monster for bringing this up. I think it's a valid point and that sometimes reputations get irreversibly tarnished by a false accusation, but I think most people don't think her initial story was false.

Like OJ? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Just because she said she exaggerated it doesn't mean she did. Domestic violence isn't just physical, it's psychological. And even if she did exaggerate at first, he did assault her and she did have to go hospital to have her injuries taken care of.

I'm willing to overlook a lot of things about professional athletes. I don't think they should be role models. But people who assault other people that aren't physically capable of defending themselves is something I have a lot of trouble with.

I have no tolerance for spousal abuse. I also believe that it all too often goes unreported, and that many times the alleged victim "recants" for a variety of reasons. It is also probable that in a scenario such as was reported elsewhere in this thread that when it came to the attention of the police that it was not the first such incident. From what I have heard from multiple sources, this kind of behavior does not stop without some kind of intervention.

Having said all that, as was noted elsewhere in the thread, Lugo was acquited of the charges. Legally that means "not guilty", whether he was in fact guilty or not of the accusations. That should entitle him to get on with his life and career - as long as he does indeed live his life without abusing his wife physically, verbally, emotionally, or any other way. If he should be abusive to his wife I'd have no problem if some of his teammates committed the baseball equivalent of "fragging", whatever that may be, and let him know that a real man doesn't beat up women. It may be that Lugo's experience with the legal system was enough of a wake-up call to cause him to change his treatment of his wife - I have no idea, but I certainly hope that is the case, more for her sake than for his.

This incident was seven years ago. I certainly hope that Lugo is more mature in his domestic life as well as his professional life than he was in 2003. I am more concerned that he may not be too happy being a reserve on the Orioles if he wasn't going to be happy with his playing time with the Cardinals. This could be disruptive in the clubhouse as well as domestically.

I definitely don't condone domestic violence, or any kind of violence, but yes, that kind of stuff gets made up all the time, and sometimes innocent people suffer as a result.

Archived