Lugo Traded to O's

BillySmith

With Andino gone, I hope someone else is trained on how to correctly "pie" a player during a post-game interview. That was the role he was best at on this team.

Also, I usually don't enjoy spreading any negativity, but reading Lugo's Wikipedia page, a few things stood out from his past.

In 2007:

Lugo was brought on to bat leadoff, but was moved by manager Terry Francona to the bottom part of the order primarily due to his inability to consistently get on base. From June 15 to July 3 Lugo went 0-33 from the plate. Since 1996, only one other Major League player with more than 250 at bats 80 games into the season has had a lower batting average: Greg Vaughn, .163 for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 2002.

And in 2008:

As of July 5, Lugo had committed 16 errors, which not only led all big-league players, but was also nearly one-third of the 50 errors made by the Red Sox as a team.

I know he'll be a back-up for us, but I hope his bat and glove are adequate. He's also 34 years old. I'd love to see Turner or Moore push him out at some point this season.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I listened to the game on the radio but had it recording in my DVR. Knowing the outcome, I decided it wasn't worth watching.

But, now I'm so curious about the Andino hot dog and the Palmer bash, I don't know what to do with myself.

It's in either the 8th or 9th inning. Palmer lays into him pretty good.

This move doesn't excite me, but if it's on the cheap and someone else is footing the bill then I'm fine with it. Lugo's bat isn't good, but off the bench I can deal with it, and he can play multiple positions. I believe that Andino was looking at a better offensive performance this season, but if his defense, which was one of his few strengths last season, is as bad as being reported and his attitude sucks then I think that's enough for me to bring in someone else. Not to say that Lugo is Mr. Perfect, as he's got a past. But since this is a cheap deal then I can live with it.

The backup catcher not playing more is a bad thing for this team in this situation.

If Wieters plays more than 120 games at catcher, you are risking injury and fatigue with him for upcoming seasons, when we will really need him. Unlike other catchers, he is tall like Mauer and could be more prone to injury and fatigue because of his size.

We want a backup catcher that will get in 40-50 games. Any less and you are likely talking a less effective Matt Wieters.

It is so vital for the Orioles not to do anything to reduce the potency of Wieters' bat as they've made it clear he is a franchise player.

Ok then play him more. But I'd rather have a .240 hitting catcher with better defense then a .258 hitting catcher with worse defense.

Original point still stands. Lugo will play more than Tatum. You're not pinch hitting someone to bring in Tatum/Moeller

Roch also had a tidbit in the comments ...

Roch, what do you think about the move, do you think this was more about sending a message or more about upgrading? Will the guys in the clubhouse be as upset Andino is moving on as they were with the Moeller news ? Thanks and keep up the great work.

------------------------------------------

I'll comment later. Just found out about it after arriving here. But I don't expect the same reaction as the Moeller news. - Roch

This isn't even close.

First off Andino's defense was shaky during spring training.

Also Tatum is younger, and maybe they're looking to have a backup catcher in the fold for a few years.

Plus Lugo will play more than Tatum. More starts, plus more pinch hitting possibilities.

This just in. Chad Moeller stinks. Tatum is the backup catcher. BIG DEAL. I mean we're talking BACKUP catcher. Someone that's going to play once a week. I don't know what everyone is making a big deal about.

Well...

(1) Andino had a bad spring defensively but he was outstanding last year.

(2) Chad Moeller certainly did not stink last year. Maybe his skills have deteroriated defensively over the offseason; his bat certainly looked good this spring.

(3) On this team, a backup catcher could easily play more than a utility infielder, barring injury. A backup catcher is guaranteed to start 1-2 games per week. A utility infielder might go 2 weeks without a start, if the regulars are healthy.

Finally, to be clear, I don't necessarily disagree with either decision the O's have made--I just thought it was interesting that they went with the offensive-minded veteran in one case and the younger gloveman in the other case. Maybe intanglibles/clubhouse chemistry were important in the decision to release Andino, but it's interesting that they weren't enough to save Moeller.

Well...

(1) Andino had a bad spring defensively but he was outstanding last year.

(2) Chad Moeller certainly did not stink last year. Maybe his skills have deteroriated defensively over the offseason; his bat certainly looked good this spring.

(3) On this team, a backup catcher could easily play more than a utility infielder, barring injury. A backup catcher is guaranteed to start 1-2 games per week. A utility infielder might go 2 weeks without a start, if the regulars are healthy.

Finally, to be clear, I don't necessarily disagree with either decision the O's have made--I just thought it was interesting that they went with the offensive-minded veteran in one case and the younger gloveman in the other case. Maybe intanglibles/clubhouse chemistry were important in the decision to release Andino, but it's interesting that they weren't enough to save Moeller.

Lugo could easily get 2 starts a week. Once at SS and once at 2B.

Plus, he could easily come in as a pinch runner for someone late in a game. Or even possibly pinch hit.

Archived