Lugo Traded to O's

BillySmith

What's interesting about this move is that the O's backup infielder choice was exactly the opposite of their backup catcher choice. Lugo is a veteran who can offer something with the bat but whose defense has deteriorated, while Andino offers less with the bat but is younger and has better defensive tools. You can substitute "Moeller" for "Lugo" and "Tatum" for "Andino" in the previous sentence without changing another word, yet the O's went for Lugo and Tatum.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What'd Andino do yesterday?

Isn't Lugo the one who beat his wife a few years ago? It's a shame blueberryale isn't around anymore...the right side of the O's infield would be great for her with Lugo's domestic disputes and Luke Scott's penchant for firearms.

Yes, he hit her and slammed her head into the car hood. She was hospitalized. As for the "domestic disputes" comment - please don't make it sound like domestic violence is just like an argument. People get killed.

Also, please don't equate Luke Scott's guns with Lugo's crime. Scott is legal and though I don't agree with concealed weapons, I understand the importance guns have in rural communities and that owning guns is a constitutional right, though the State does have rights to regulate.

For the second year in a row, a number of players spend spring training battling for the "back-up middle infielder" role on this team, just to have someone new brought in at the last minute before opening day.

Last year, that guy was Andino (costing Chris Gomez, Jolbert Cabrera and Donnie Murphy a job). This year, Andino gets replaced by Lugo.

Also, I'm with some other posters in that I didn't see yesterday's game. What did Andino do that classifies as "hot dogging" it and upsetting management?

For the second year in a row, a number of players spend spring training battling for the "back-up middle infielder" role on this team, just to have someone new brought in at the last minute before opening day.

Last year, that guy was Andino (costing Chris Gomez, Jolbert Cabrera and Donnie Murphy a job). This year, Andino gets replaced by Lugo.

Also, I'm with some other posters in that I didn't see yesterday's game. What did Andino do that classifies as "hot dogging" it and upsetting management?

I don't know if the hot dogging it is what cost him, but it may have been the final straw. After making a nice play to backhand a ball, he looked out into LF to say "look at me" pumped his glove a couple of times and then non-chalantly threw the ball way too high. It was also his second error of the game. If you make an error the inning before you certainly don't hot dog it when you make a decent play the next inning, and especially when you're the backup middle IF hanging on by a strand.

Yes, he hit her and slammed her head into the car hood. She was hospitalized. As for the "domestic disputes" comment - please don't make it sound like domestic violence is just like an argument. People get killed.

Also, please don't equate Luke Scott's guns with Lugo's crime. Scott is legal and though I don't agree with concealed weapons, I understand the importance guns have in rural communities and that owning guns is a constitutional right, though the State does have rights to regulate.

It's not just an argument, I didn't treat it as such. Clearly you don't remember BBA and her hysterics about not employing people with these issues. While I'm not thrilled about it either, I do recognize that Lugo went to counseling and has made efforts to put it behind him.

Guns aren't a bad thing, I go hunting all the time :) Again, it was BBA and her hysterics about Luke Scott riding around town with a gun in his car and having it accidentally go off and shoot an innocent bystander. Clearly she didn't know what a safety was for.

I guess this is a likely addition of a fractional win for the 2010 O's. I am somewhat concerned with Lugo's defense, at both middle infield spots. As a hitter he's probably a bit better than Andino, but their projected performances by the major systems are actually pretty close.

I have to think there's a pretty good chance Andino clears waivers and ends up in Norfolk. Which could mean the Scott Moore experiment at short will be brief, or at least part-time.

I guess this is a likely addition of a fractional win for the 2010 O's. I am somewhat concerned with Lugo's defense, at both middle infield spots. As a hitter he's probably a bit better than Andino, but their projected performances by the major systems are actually pretty close.

I have to think there's a pretty good chance Andino clears waivers and ends up in Norfolk. Which could mean the Scott Moore experiment at short will be brief, or at least part-time.

I think it's a better chance Andino is just released or traded.

They wouldn't make a major announcement about Moore playing SS like that in the Sun and then just give Andino the job IMO.

One game wouldn't be enough to replace a player like Andino IMO, my guess is that this has been brewing for a bit behind the scenes.

What's interesting about this move is that the O's backup infielder choice was exactly the opposite of their backup catcher choice. Lugo is a veteran who can offer something with the bat but whose defense has deteriorated, while Andino offers less with the bat but is younger and has better defensive tools. You can substitute "Moeller" for "Lugo" and "Tatum" for "Andino" in the previous sentence without changing another word, yet the O's went for Lugo and Tatum.

This isn't even close.

First off Andino's defense was shaky during spring training.

Also Tatum is younger, and maybe they're looking to have a backup catcher in the fold for a few years.

Plus Lugo will play more than Tatum. More starts, plus more pinch hitting possibilities.

This just in. Chad Moeller stinks. Tatum is the backup catcher. BIG DEAL. I mean we're talking BACKUP catcher. Someone that's going to play once a week. I don't know what everyone is making a big deal about.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/03/julio-lugo-not-comfortable-with-red-sox-last-season.html

Hope he did not get too comfortable with the Cards.

I'm here [with St. Louis] and happy," Lugo said. "And that's all that matters."

According to the Boston Herald, Julio Lugo was "not comfortable" with the Red Sox last season, but he is happy to be a member of the 2010 Cardinals.

This isn't even close.

First off Andino's defense was shaky during spring training.

Also Tatum is younger, and maybe they're looking to have a backup catcher in the fold for a few years.

Plus Lugo will play more than Tatum. More starts, plus more pinch hitting possibilities.

This just in. Chad Moeller stinks. Tatum is the backup catcher. BIG DEAL. I mean we're talking BACKUP catcher. Someone that's going to play once a week. I don't know what everyone is making a big deal about.

The backup catcher not playing more is a bad thing for this team in this situation.

If Wieters plays more than 120 games at catcher, you are risking injury and fatigue with him for upcoming seasons, when we will really need him. Unlike other catchers, he is tall like Mauer and could be more prone to injury and fatigue because of his size.

We want a backup catcher that will get in 40-50 games. Any less and you are likely talking a less effective Matt Wieters.

It is so vital for the Orioles not to do anything to reduce the potency of Wieters' bat as they've made it clear he is a franchise player.

Archived