I met Matt Hobgood tonite!

Snutchy

What a night!

A friend from work called me today. She told me she met a really cool girl at the mall the other day and that her boyfriend pitches for the Shorebirds. Well that girl just happened to be Stephanie, Matt Hobgood's girlfriend. Stephanie was gracious enough to invite us to the game tonite and we got to watch Matt pitch.

This kid is a BEAST. 7 innins of 2 hit ball. 6 K's and I think 1 walk. He is very deceptive to the plate. He didn't hit 90 all night long, but his fastball has movement and he hides the ball real well. Location is key for him.

I wound up catching a foul ball.

After the game I wen't down to the tunnel where the guys exit the field. I was able to grab Bordick's and Devereau's signatures on my foul ball. What a treat. Ryan Minor also gave me the lineup card he used in the dugout.

Once outside, we wen't with Stephanie and pulled Matt's truck up to the backdoor where he would be coming out. This kid has a great ride. Brand new F350, black, and twenty some inch wheels. Oh, and this thing is jacked up by like 6 inches. Def illegal in MD. Lol. But he has California tags so he can prob get away with it.

Matt came out and signed by his name on the lineup card that Ryan Minor gave me. What an awesome dude. I got to talk baseball with him for a bit and got a couple pics with him. Im waiting on Stephanie to email me with them so I can post them.

I did ask Matt if he has ever heard of the hangout. "Yep! I've looked at it. My uncle posts on there."

What a great guy.

To Matt's uncle, you guys raised him right. Great kid.

Oh yea, and I'm going out to dinner with him within the next few weeks. I will gladly show him around Salisbury.

Sorry for the rant folks. Im just excited. I feel like a teenager again.

You picked a good night to meet him. He must have been pretty pumped after having his best outing as a pro.

He was. He signed alot of autographs for kids who didnt know who he was lol.

He is good. Real good. He is very modest about it too. And his girl is as sweet and nice as can be. Oh and she puts Amber Theoharris to shame lol

What a night!

A friend from work called me today. She told me she met a really cool girl at the mall the other day and that her boyfriend pitches for the Shorebirds. Well that girl just happened to be Stephanie, Matt Hobgood's girlfriend. Stephanie was gracious enough to invite us to the game tonite and we got to watch Matt pitch.

This kid is a BEAST. 7 innins of 2 hit ball. 6 K's and I think 1 walk. He is very deceptive to the plate. He didn't hit 90 all night long, but his fastball has movement and he hides the ball real well. Location is key for him.

After the game I wen't down to the tunnel where the guys exit the field. I was able to grab Bordick's and Devereau's signatures on my foul ball. What a treat. Ryan Minor also gave me the lineup card he used in the dugout.

Once outside, we wen't with Stephanie and pulled Matt's truck up to the backdoor where he would be coming out. This kid has a great ride. Brand new F350, black, and twenty some inch wheels. Oh, and this thing is jacked up by like 6 inches. Def illegal in MD. Lol. But he has California tags so he can prob get away with it.

Matt came out and signed by his name on the lineup card that Ryan Minor gave me. What an awesome dude. I got to talk baseball with him for a bit and got a couple pics with him. Im waiting on Stephanie to email me with them so I can post them.

I did ask Matt if he has ever heard of the hangout. "Yep! I've looked at it. My uncle posts on there."

What a great guy.

Oh yea, and I'm going out to dinner with him within the next few weeks. I will gladly show him around Salisbury.

What a treat for you Snutch,

I have had the pleasure over that past few years to have met and talked to many of the young guys going thru Bowie. Yes, it is a good time when you get to do this and even more so, if and when they make the parent team and do good. I have never really gone out to dinner with them and their girl friend or wife, but I have had dinner with them at the Baysox after some games. As I am with a group called the Bowie Baysox Booster Club. We always have dinner for them on Sundays after the game. I have seen them out and about after some games too. It is always fun to see them away from the field.

What a night!

What a great guy.

He sounds dreamy! :hearts: .... :D

Rat! I bet he cancels. ;):P

Hehehe...uh, 'congrats' Snutchy? :D

One thing I find constantly in the O's minor league system are good guys. I try to convey that while remaining objective, but I guess I sometimes I fall to one side or the other.

It's nice to hear fans perceive the same things I see. It kind of reinforces it for me.

As far as Hobgood's concerned...I talked to his mother for quite awhile in Sarasota this spring and it comes as no surprise to hear your story.

One thing I find constantly in the O's minor league system are good guys. I try to convey that while remaining objective, but I guess I sometimes I fall to one side or the other.

I completely agree with you. Over the past 3+ seasons in the minors, I've never had a problem with a single player. The only guy who refused to talk on the record, about anything baseball, was Luis Jimenez. Even still, Luis and I would routinely chat around the batting cage and I found he was a genuinely good guy. Hilarious, really.

I remember walking to the press box before a game in Harrisburg two years ago and I heard a voice call my name from another direction. I turned around and Luis, then a member of the Senators, was sitting outside the Harrisburg clubhouse with a big smile on his face. He walked over, rubbed my head, told me I needed a haircut and asked me what I had been up to away from the park. I always appreciated that even a guy who preferred not to talk with the media after a game was still nice enough to treat me like a person.

I try to tell people that, at the very, very least, this organization can pride themselves on signing both quality ballplayers and quality people.

Im really happy we got him instead of Ackley, seems like a real good person.

And people shouldn't worry about his velocity, he will gain some miles and will keep that HEAVY fastball, just let him get his first full pro season under his belt.

What a night!

What a great guy.

Next thing you know, he'll be asking you to drive him to the airport. ;)

Archived