Eaton and Atkins

NewMarketSean

But what about the decision making behind the signing?

I agree that neither is a big deal in the scheme of things...But the thought process of thinking it was a good idea is the problem I have.

I also have a problem with how quickly AM pounced on them and how much he was seemingly targeting them.

HOW can you seriously complain about the thought process behind bringing in a 5th starter in a rotation that included Guthrie, Uehara, Simon, and Hendrickson? We were never supposed to compete last year. He wanted someone with a decent injury history that could give us some innings, that's about it.

I'll admit, he jumped the gun a bit on Atkins (probably thinking that Tejada would sign somewhere else)...but, at the time of the signing he was a 1-year placeholder for Bell. Is that such a bad thought process to have with a market that was very thin at 3rd base? I think not...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you serious? You think any of these GMs havent made mistakes?

You are wrong.

And if these are the two biggest mistakes since he has been here. He has done a hell of a job.

Are you talking about the same Billy Beane who has fielded a sub .500 team the last 3 years?

Funny how Eric Chavez is making 12.5 million this year.

Ben Sheets at 10 million?

How about Pat Burrell? Not a mistake?

That is with little to no research.

I wouldn't go quite that far. He moves pretty slowly, so he hasn't made a ton of moves. How many great FA signings has he made? How many good ones? I'm not so sure that his FA% is really all that good. I think AM is still seen as terrific because of the Bedard deal - which was good. But I'm not sure he's as terrific as many make him out to be.

Eaton was a bad move, but everyone knew that he was a placeholder for something bigger and grander. Everyone knew that he was only going to be in the rotation until Bergesen/Matusz/Tillman showed they were ready to be in the big leagues, at which point he was gone. Never was there any doubt about this, at least I hope. Now, I do have an issue with the idea, at least what was out there, that the Orioles had their eyes on Eaton before he was released. If that's true then it never made any sense, and I have to ask what was so fascinating about Adam Eaton.

The Atkins signing is more disheartening however, given that he got far more money than Eaton did, and this has more of the feel of a reclamation project. This is probably the case that a lot of major league teams go through when they say, "We can fix what's been ailing __________, and we're confident in our ability to do it." Atkins is a stop gap, but at the same time I don't think he is. I'm sure the Orioles wouldn't waste any time sending him to the waiver wire, or at least the bench, if Snyder starts hitting at AAA, or Bell and they decide to bring him up. But this one would have more disappointment associated with it.

I think the Atkins deal meant more and had more intention to it, and so far the best of intentions has failed. Maybe he turns it around, and maybe he sticks around as a respectable bench guy. But still, that's a lot of money to pay a bench guy.

Let's not forget about Steve Trachsel who we re-signed to a minor league deal in 2008 but told him he had a spot in the rotation.

2008 was a throwaway, development year. MacPhail TOLD all of us that there was going to be short term pain.

We're still waiting to see if that short term pain leads to long term gain, but let's not pretend like the man promised us steak and provided gruel.

HOW can you seriously complain about the thought process behind bringing in a 5th starter in a rotation that included Guthrie, Uehara, Simon, and Hendrickson? We were never supposed to compete last year. He wanted someone with a decent injury history that could give us some innings, that's about it.

I'll admit, he jumped the gun a bit on Atkins (probably thinking that Tejada would sign somewhere else)...but, at the time of the signing he was a 1-year placeholder for Bell. Is that such a bad thought process to have with a market that was very thin at 3rd base? I think not...

There were better options to target for a SP that involved spending more money.

Our targets were Looper, Redding and Eaton.

All three don't have ML jobs this season.

I wouldn't go quite that far. He moves pretty slowly, so he hasn't made a ton of moves. How many great FA signings has he made? How many good ones? I'm not so sure that his FA% is really all that good. I think AM is still seen as terrific because of the Bedard deal - which was good. But I'm not sure he's as terrific as many make him out to be.

He has come out time and time again and said he wasn't going to go after top end FAs before it was time.

Felix Pie was a good grab, Wiggington was good for the role we want him in. Izzy has done a fine job for the salary. Tejada is a good pickup in context.

Millwood has been a great pickup trade wise.

His plan has been the same the whole time, he hasn't moved away from that, which is rebuilding. This is something that people have complained about since MacPhail took over. They wanted someone to stick to the plan. He is sticking to the plan. It doesn't make any sense to blow things up right now because slowly but surely it is coming together.

Hell, Koji was a good grab as well. He has been injuried, but he has pitched well when he has been called upon. He should be fantastic in the bullpen.

Eaton isn't a big deal, as there weren't really any better and cheaper options at the time.

Atkins was at least a substantial mistake. He's not a long-term deal that flopped, for sure, but he also doesn't have the potential upside of the guy who is signed to a long-term deal. There were plenty of guys that were as good as Atkins who were available at the same time that were much cheaper. Also, there were guys far better and with more upside than Atkins that were available for the same or similar money. Hell, there were probably guys better than Atkins available for cheaper.

There is still some sound logic that can be used to defend the Eaton signing, considering what he was brought in to do and how he was a guy they expected to cut before June. Atkins, on the other hand, is completely and utterly indefensible, IMO. There is no rational argument that can be made that isn't based on Terry Crowley's magic ability to turn him back into a reliable hitter, a basis that is pretty damn weak, IMO.

Not saying you're wrong, I was just trying to recall the list. I know LaRoche is one, but I believe he signed a two year deal. Nick Johnson is another. My recollection is we could have had him early while the Yanks and Damon were doing their "song and dance," not sure we could have gotten him cheaply after Yanks got involved. Glaus is another one I remember, but with his injury history and PEDs rumors didn't make him all that attractive. Are there others I'm missing? I could be wrong, but don't recall anyone that I would have wanted to give mulitple years to. Atkins was not a good signing but it's only a one year deal, so I'm not that bothered by it.

2008 was a throwaway, development year. MacPhail TOLD all of us that there was going to be short term pain.

We're still waiting to see if that short term pain leads to long term gain, but let's not pretend like the man promised us steak and provided gruel.

He could have spent more money and had the team have a better quality product on the field during the rebuilding. The Orioles didn't have to field an AAA-AAAA squad.

In order for the Os to get the players right now that could be difference makers, they will have to severly overpay. And that is with guys like Beltre, LaRoche, Nick Johnson.

Not for guys like Holliday, Burnett, Tex. Those guys wouldn't have signed here yet no matter the price tag.

Eaton was an emergency placeholder on a minor league deal and Atkins is a one year deal. He's also basically a placeholder. If you think those are "big" blunders, then more power to ya.

How'd you like Alfonso Soriano with 5 years, $90 million remaining on his albatross?

What he said.....neither are big blunders IMO. Eaton which many here do not want to recognize was nothing more than a flier. He was at best a place holder. He pitched a grand total of 41 innings. Hardly a big blunder.

Things are not looking good for Atkins but he is a one year shot. He is a hot streak away from having people change their minds on him. For an example see Ty Wigginton. Whether he can provide that is a matter of doubt.

Every GM makes mistakes. Even message board GM's.

Would Friedman make these kinds of signings? Bill Smith? Billy Beane?

These were moves that were destined to fail. I don't see other GM's of teams similar to the Orioles in payroll/market size, etc... making these kind of no-reward signings.

Pat Burrell.....nuff said. Every GM makes mistakes.

The other thing I would add here is that IIRC AM obtained Hughes for Zaun. At the time, most were down on this move. Obviously, the jury is still out on Hughes, but that may turn out to have been a decent move. When BRob comes back, a Hughes/Wiggy tag team at first could be a solid offensive combination.

Archived