At What Point Will The O's Farm System Turn Out a Game Changing Prospect?

soxhotcorner14

After reading an article from one of the Sun beat reporters; they brought up a point as to when the O's will have a guy that can actually hit come out of their farm system?

Well, I'm taking it a step further. At which point will the O's turn out a player that is a game changer? When are they going to turn out that Mark Texiera, Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay, Ryan Howard, or Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun's of the world?

There never seems to be any blue chippers that come out of this farm system. They only seem to turn out serviceable players.

Now I know there are a few exceptions, but not at the rate of other organizations. Why are other organizations having better success at turning out franchise players?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading an article from one of the Sun beat reporters; they brought up a point as to when the O's will have a guy that can actually hit come out of their farm system?

Well, I'm taking it a step further. At which point will the O's turn out a player that is a game changer? When are they going to turn out that Mark Texiera, Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay, Ryan Howard, or Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun's of the world?

There never seems to be any blue chippers that come out of this farm system. They only seem to turn out serviceable players.

Now I know there are a few exceptions, but not at the rate of other organizations. Why are other organizations having better success at turning out franchise players?

Most believe/hope that Matusz and Weiters are franchise players drafted and "developed" in the last few years.

Most believe/hope that Matusz and Weiters are franchise players drafted and "developed" in the last few years.

I think Matusz will be the real deal after he get's a solid year in the bigs. I'm not totally sold on Wieters just yet. For all the hype, he just hasn't turned that corner yet. Not saying he won't be a good-great ballplayer. Just hasn't had that stretch of play where you say.. here he comes... know what I mean?

I think Matusz will be the real deal after he get's a solid year in the bigs. I'm not totally sold on Wieters just yet. For all the hype, he just hasn't turned that corner yet. Not saying he won't be a good-great ballplayer. Just hasn't had that stretch of play where you say.. here he comes... know what I mean?

Joe Mauer didn't really turn it on until his 3rd season. Wieters will hit a hot streak soon.

The Trea's of the world are probably spot on with this issue. You have to be willing to get the premium talent at the top of the draft, int'l signings, etc.

It would be great if one of our not-top-10 picks would turn into a monster. Maybe an Ohlman type, or other high schooler with good upside, would be a candidate.

Quit drafting second-line talent in order to save money.

I hope they go all-out in a couple of weeks. Quit trying to get by on the cheap (and BTW, spending a few extra hundred thousand on "above slot" talent in the 8th round isn't what I'm talking about).

The Trea's of the world are probably spot on with this issue. You have to be willing to get the premium talent at the top of the draft, int'l signings, etc.

It would be great if one of our not-top-10 picks would turn into a monster. Maybe an Ohlman type, or other high schooler with good upside, would be a candidate.

Agreed. I would say that this has been one of the biggest problems in our scouting and player development. If a team is going to seriously compete, it is going to have to find strong players in the later rounds at least occassionally. It just doesn't happen for us.

Matusz looks like the real deal - he could be your Halladay. But remember, Halladay took 3 years before he really hit his stride - he was even demoted in his 3rd year I believed.

Wieters has the pedigree. Whether he pans out to be a superstar, who knows? For some it takes longer. Like someone mentioned, Mauer was good, not great in his first full season. Same with Johnny Bench and Jorge Posada.

Other guys like Reimold and Josh Bell have the potential to be average to slightly above-average players for their positions.

It sucks, but more patience is required.

I know how you feel. I had hoped for more instant success from Mr. Wieters. There are still 124 games to play this year, plenty of time for him to turn it on in the way he did for the last month of last year. But we really do need to develop a hitter who isn't good, but great. And greatness usually shows pretty early.

Even when you look at our minor leagues, you never really see anyone tearing it up. The Braves seem like they have this type of player almost every 2-3 years.

I will say Wieters lit it up.. but all of our other prospects have good, not great seasons where you say.. this guy is the real deal and you can pencil him in the 3 hole in his 2nd or 3rd year.

Markakis to me is a number 5 hitter. I still to this day don't understand why the FO doesn't get him protection in the 3 and 4 slot and hit him where he belongs.

Quit drafting second-line talent in order to save money.

I hope they go all-out in a couple of weeks. Quit trying to get by on the cheap (and BTW, spending a few extra hundred thousand on "above slot" talent in the 8th round isn't what I'm talking about).

Just utterly ridiculous and not true under the Jordan regime. Say what you want about their ability to draft, but their lack of success with drafting hitters has nothing to do with money.

I'm not just pinpointing Jordan's drafts btw.. I'm talking about all the regimes.. None of them turn out any studs. You'd think the O's would have someone by now after Ripken retired.

There is just no excuse why there aren't better ballplayers in this organization.

And I'm not expecting McPhail and Jordan to pull a rabbit out of the hat in 3 years of drafting.. but they're gonna have to hit on something here soon.

Archived