Trembley to be fired today?

Pedro Cerrano

Maybe Samuel can be our Ozzie Guillen. In all seriousness, until this is offical I am not putting much stock into it. What is the point in making a change if you refuse to reorganize yourself from the top down.

Change to just stir up things. We are averaging a run a game lately. We shall see if this comes to fruition. I have some doubts.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious, JTrea, what do you do for a living, and have you ever fired anyone who you thought was giving their best effort?

I think Andy MacPhail knew that Trembley was putting his heart and soul into managing this team, and wanted to give him every possible chance to pull the team out of it. You know what? If he waited too long for that reason, I can live with it.

The difference is people that get fired where I work don't get their full salary for the rest of the year.

Trembley will be paid quite well to get to sit on the beach in Florida.

Baseball is a business, this season was about evaluating the manager wins and losses, and the results weren't there early in the season - bottom line. So unless MacPhail lied to all the fans last year, he had to make this move. And he should have made it much earlier because there might have been a slight chance a manager change might have made some difference.

The difference is people that get fired where I work don't get their full salary for the rest of the year.

Baseball is a business, this season was about evaluating the manager wins and losses, and the results weren't there early in the season - bottom line. So unless MacPhail lied to all the fans last year, he had to make this move. And he should have made it much earlier because there might have been a slight chance a manager change might have made some difference.

Way to not answer the question: the question is, have you ever been in a position where you - personally - had to fire someone you know was doing everything they could to succeed?

Baseball is a business, this season was about evaluating the manager wins and losses, and the results weren't there early in the season - bottom line. So unless MacPhail lied to all the fans last year, he had to make this move. And he should have made it much earlier because there might have been a slight chance a manager change might have made some difference.[/QUOT

But whatever business your in ,its no fun being fired. It;s also tough to tell someone your services with the company are no longer needed. Some people get a nice severance package when they get let go in other fields as well.

Way to not answer the question: the question is, have you ever been in a position where you - personally - had to fire someone you know was doing everything they could to succeed?

No, I haven't thankfully. And believe me I do feel bad for Trembley, but the bottom line is that baseball is a business that demands results and MacPhail did say Trembley would be evaluated on wins and losses.

Bowden put it best - you either have to fire yourself as a GM or you have to fire the manager.

Personally I think it should be a dual firing. MacPhail should fire Trembley and then resign himself and admit that his plan is a failure and he's leaving for the good of the franchise.

Baseball is a business, this season was about evaluating the manager wins and losses, and the results weren't there early in the season - bottom line. So unless MacPhail lied to all the fans last year, he had to make this move. And he should have made it much earlier because there might have been a slight chance a manager change might have made some difference.[/QUOT

But whatever business your in ,its no fun being fired. It;s also tough to tell someone your services with the company are no longer needed. Some people get a nice severance package when they get let go in other fields as well.

Not to mention that it is bad enough when your co-workers and friends murmur about the fact that you lost your job... Can you imagine doing this in front of millions of people who will then proceed to either pity you, crucify you or engage in mass schadenfreude because "you made a lot of money and can go sit on the beach in florida," even though in fact your lifelong dream just came to a public, humiliating end resulting from your complete failure -- even though you tried your hardest and were dealt a lousy friggin hand, and as you look back at it you realize that this is MLB, you were up against the Yankees and the Sox and you were set up to fail.

Why am I not surprised that anyone who isn't on board with your timeline is branded a liar?

In all honesty, unless a guy has been a manager, you can't really tell how good a manager he will be by what he did as a coach. One thing about Samuel, he seems like a fiery guy, and I'm ready for that after a lengthy string of low-key managers.
True Perlozzo was a great 3aB coach and a lousy manager, Samuel was a lousy 3B coach so he must be a great manager. I don't know I don't see any evidence of Samuel being very bright, but there have been a lot of successful managers who fit that descripition. I think the main part of the job is relating to the players. I don't think Dave had the right temperment for this group of guys, but I don't think Samuel does either.

Just curious, JTrea, what do you do for a living, and have you ever fired anyone who you thought was giving their best effort?

I think Andy MacPhail knew that Trembley was putting his heart and soul into managing this team, and wanted to give him every possible chance to pull the team out of it. You know what? If he waited too long for that reason, I can live with it.

I'm not going to engage with the negative nellies on this topic. Needless to say, I think this is a fabulous post which makes a fabulous point.

I wish Trembley the best. While I do agree that a move is needed, I'm not going to quibble over the fact that he was provided a puncher's chance to turn things around. He didn't, so it's time to move on.

I wish Juan Samuel the best, and hope that the O's take an entirely new coaching direction after this season.

I was at last night's 9-1 loss. Going to the ballpark, any ballpark, is always a good experience for me, but I've never been so demoralized, doscouraged and downright disturbed at an Orioles game in my life --and I attended about 50 of them in 1988!

Change is, and has been, overdue in the Orioles manager's office. I remain a staunch supporter of Andy MacPhail, but my respect for his decision making diminishes daily as this circus drags on and on. Get it over with already.

Archived