Orioles Minor League Free Agents

Crazysilver03

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at what point do you become a minor league free agent?

Is it three options? How does this differ for guys drafted out of HS vs college players. Thanks in advance.

A player can become a minor league free agent if they have accumulated six years of service time in the minors. A year is defined as more than 50 games or a specific amount of innings. This is in place so players like Arrieta and Wieters, players who didnt play or players who only played a few games after being drafted, dont lose a year of service time. Technically, next year will be their first year.

A player can be delayed minor league free agency if the player is added to the 40 man roster. A player on the 40 man roster has 3 option years, for which they can be sent to the minors back and forth for 3 years without being exposed to waivers. And it just doesnt have to be 3 options in 3 years. You can have a year where you dont use an option. You could use the options in the players 1st, 2nd, and 4th year in the majors, for example. But if the player has accumulated 5+ years of major league service, the options become null and void if they havent all be used.

Also, a player that is added to the 40 man roster within their 1st 3 years in the pro leagues will be granted a 4th option year, a la Jeff Fiorentino.

A player who signed a minor league contract at the age of 18 or younger has 5 minor league seasons before they are eligible to be selected in the Rule V draft, and 19+ year olds have 4 years.

Finally, a player who is on the 40 man and is outrighted to the minors, must remain with the organization if it is their first time being outrighted off the roster AND they werent claimed on waivers AND they wont have accumulated six years of minor league service. If any of those conditions arent met, then the player can file for free agency.

There are a few fringe prospects about whom I've been hoping to find an update. I don't know their health status or their contract status.

Two of them were left off an otherwise excellent post from the original poster.

Ryan Keefer was outrighted to Norfolk when the O's signed Trachsel in February '07. He had Tommy John surgery in the '06-'07 off-season.

Brian Finch was outrighted in December '06. As a member of the Baysox, he went on the DL in late June. This is confusing since he hadn't pitched a single inning. In August, he pitched a handful of innings for the GCL Orioles (rehab assignment, I assume).

Cory Morris was also outrighted off the 40-man in December '06. He spent three days in the majors in April '06, but never got into a game. He was placed on the DL (Baysox) in April '07 with a right elbow strain. He did not pitch in '07.

Does anyone know whether we can expect these guys to be back in the organization in '08? Thanks in advance.

There are a few fringe prospects about whom I've been hoping to find an update. I don't know their health status or their contract status.

Two of them were left off an otherwise excellent post from the original poster.

Ryan Keefer was outrighted to Norfolk when the O's signed Trachsel in February '07. He had Tommy John surgery in the '06-'07 off-season.

Brian Finch was outrighted in December '06. As a member of the Baysox, he went on the DL in late June. This is confusing since he hadn't pitched a single inning. In August, he pitched a handful of innings for the GCL Orioles (rehab assignment, I assume).

Cory Morris was also outrighted off the 40-man in December '06. He spent three days in the majors in April '06, but never got into a game. He was placed on the DL (Baysox) in April '07 with a right elbow strain. He did not pitch in '07.

Does anyone know whether we can expect these guys to be back in the organization in '08? Thanks in advance.

First, I want to say thank you, since I was the original poster.

Second, hopefully your updates:

I had forgotten about Ryan Keefer having the chance to become a free agent. Keefer has 7 years of minor league experience, so he can technically become a free agent but I would assume he would return with the Orioles. I sure hope so because he looked like a very promising relief prospect in 2006.

Brian Finch was added to the 40 man roster after 3 years in the minors so he would be protected from the Rule V. Now, after only getting in 7 games covering 9 innings this past year, he still remains at 4 years of total minor league service, so he will remain under the Orioles control for two more years (until free agency) while being exposed to the Rule V draft, thought I doubt he would be taken. He still has 2 option years remaining if he was ever added back to the 40 man.

Cory Morris missed the majority of the year and I cant remember the injury nor find any posts on it here on the minors board. If I remember correctly, he will miss the beginning of the 2008 season. Morris has the six years of minor league service to become a free agent, but in the same case of Ryan Keefer, I doubt he would leave since he has to prove he is healthy.

I will add Morris and Keefer to the free agents list, but I am nearly 99% sure they will remain baby Baltimore Orioles for 2008.

I am taking a stab at who the minor league free agents for the Orioles will be. This obviously doesnt include any players the Orioles may release this offseason.

These are players with 6+ years of minor league experience

Catcher:

Alberto Castillo (Norfolk)

J.R. House (Norfolk)

Ryan Hubele (Norfolk)

Gustavo Molina (Norfolk)

Eli Whiteside (Bowie)

Infielder:

Bryan Bass (Bowie)

Mike Cervenak (Norfolk)

Cesar Crespo (Norfolk)

Bo Hart (Norfolk)

Luis Jiminez (Bowie)

Pete Maestrales (Frederick)

Oscar Salazar (Bowie)

Terry Tiffee (Norfolk)

Eider Torres (Norfolk)

Outfielder:

Matt Cepicky (Bowie)

Jason Dubois (Norfolk)

Kennard Jones (Frederick)

Jon Knott (Norfolk)

Luis Montanez (Bowie)

Arturo Rivas (Frederick)

Bubba Trammell (Aberdeen)

Ruddy Yan (Bowie)

Pitcher:

Oscar Alvarez (Bowie)

Craig Anderson (Norfolk)

Rob Bell (Norfolk)

Francis Beltran (Norfolk)

Rosman Garcia (Bowie)

Steve Green (Norfolk)

Beau Hale (Bowie) (retired)

Ryan Keefer (Bowie) ?

Rommie Lewis (Bowie)

Nick McCurdy (Bowie)

Andy Mitchell (Norfolk)

Cory Morris (Bowie) ?

Carlos Perez (Bowie)

Sendy Rleal (Bowie)

Orlando Roman (Bowie)

Felix Romero (Bowie)

Sean Tracey (Norfolk) ?

Tim Kester (Norfolk)

Victor Moreno (Norfolk)

Richard Salazar (Norfolk) ?

The players with ? have 5.? years of service and I am not sure if they qualify for 6 years or not.

Baltimore Orioles (33)

Righthanders: Derek Barrows, Francis Beltran, Rosman Garcia, Steve Green, Beau Hale, Tim Kester, Andy Mitchell, Victor Moreno, Cory Morris, Sendy Rleal, Orlando Roman, Felix Romero

Lefthanders: Oscar Alvarez, Carlos Perez, Richard Salazar, Chris Waters

Catchers: Gustavo Molina, Eli Whiteside

First baseman: Luis Jimenez

Second basemen: Cesar Crespo, Pete Maestrales

Third basemen: Bryan Bass, Mike Cervenak, Doug Reinhardt, Terry Tiffee

Shortstops: Bo Hart, Oscar Salazar

Outfielders: Matt Cepicky, Jason Dubois, Jason Fransz, Luis Montanez, Arturo Rivas, Ruddy Yan

Baseball America

I wasnt too far off.

Baltimore Orioles

Signed: OF Luis Mateo

October 30th

Baltimore Orioles

Signed: RHP Ryan Keefer, LHP Craig Anderson, OF Chris Amador, OF Kennard Jones

Acquired: RHP Jake Renshaw from Cubs for future considerations

November 6th

Minor league free agency is now open to everyone. It is nice to see us re-sign Keefer, Anderson, Amador, and Jones.

The Baseball America site didn't say this...at least I didn't see it...but does anyone know how long Keefer is signed for? I assume it's only a year-long contract.

I have only ever seen one (Hee Sop Choi) signed to two-year minor league contract.

Almost all contracts are for one year. It would be a safe assumption on this part that Keefer signed a one year deal. Though if he proves himself healthy, he will probably see himself on the Orioles 25/40 man roster before the end of next season.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=669

Baltimore Orioles

Signed: LHP Chris Waters, C Omir Santos

Minnesota Twins

Signed: C Eli Whiteside, OF Jon Knott

Knott, 29, has carved out a career as a minor league slugger, hitting .270/.354/.515 in 477 Triple-A games in the Padres and Orioles systems. He signed as a nondrafted free agent from Mississippi State in 2001.

Washington Nationals

Signed: RHP Tristan Crawford, RHP Steven Shell, 1B Luis Jimenez, 3B Yurendell De Caster, OF Jason Dubois

So we have lost C Eli Whiteside, OF Jon Knott, 1B Luis Jiminez, and OF Jason Dubois.

Bleh.

Why'd they bring back Waters? He'll be 27 next year and, I'd assume, still in Bowie. Nothing against him ... just that his numbers didn't exactly scream out, "wow, we've gotta keep this guy". I'd think they would be able to get a guy that's at least equal, if not better, and probably a year or two younger in MiL FA.

Why'd they bring back Waters? He'll be 27 next year and, I'd assume, still in Bowie. Nothing against him ... just that his numbers didn't exactly scream out, "wow, we've gotta keep this guy". I'd think they would be able to get a guy that's at least equal, if not better, and probably a year or two younger in MiL FA.

Waters can fill out the rotation admirably in Bowie or Norfolk. I don't think they should spend resources (time and energy, so to speak) looking for a filler from outside the organization when they have one that did as well (over three consecutive decent years, now) as Waters.

I think he'll start in Norfolk since the Bowie rotaton looks crowded. And I don't think it'll hinder them at all from scouring the MiL FA list for legit prospects.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=673#more-673

Los Angeles Dodgers

Signed: 3B Terry Tiffee

The switch-hitting Tiffee, 28, joins his third organization in three years. A 26th-round pick of the Twins in 1999, Tiffee has established himself at the Triple-A level, hitting .279/.320/.431 over the past four seasons for Rochester and Norfolk. Playing in Las Vegas’ Cashman Field and in the Pacific Coast League, in general, should do wonders for his power numbers.

Archived