Kaleb Cowart, 3B/RHP, Georgia HS

Should Jameson Taillon be gone before the O's pick at #3 on Monday (meaning the Pirates took him), I would love to see the O's surprise everyone and take Kaleb Cowart. Cowart is a power-hitting, switch-hitting 3B & hard throwing RHP from a high school in Georgia and just won the Gatorade National HS Baseball Player of the Year award.

As we know, Matt Hobgood won that award last year as well (among a couple others) and the list of winners beyond that is very impressive, in terms of players who ended up becoming productive, successful major leaguers.

Cowart apparently is seen as a tough sign and is due to attend Florida State. However, if Taillon is picked #2 by the Pirates, I think Cowart is just as worthy of being the #3 pick as Machado, who I happen to think is a little overrated. Machado shot up the board only this year while Cowart has been highly ranked by several publications for a couple years. I'd have to think he would sign for #3 money rather than attend Florida State. The question is, how tough of a sign is he really and how does he compare to other players available at #3?

Am I missing something or shouldn't this guy be ranked in the top 5 of the draft this year as a power-hitting, switch-hitting 3B who has been compared to Chipper Jones and comes from the historically baseball rich state of Georgia? Can any of our draft experts chime in?

Should Jameson Taillon be gone before the O's pick at #3 on Monday (meaning the Pirates took him), I would love to see the O's surprise everyone and take Kaleb Cowart. Cowart is a power-hitting, switch-hitting 3B & hard throwing RHP from a high school in Georgia and just won the Gatorade National HS Baseball Player of the Year award.

As we know, Matt Hobgood won that award last year as well (among a couple others) and the list of winners beyond that is very impressive, in terms of players who ended up becoming productive, successful major leaguers.

Cowart apparently is seen as a tough sign and is due to attend Florida State. However, if Taillon is picked #2 by the Pirates, I think Cowart is just as worthy of being the #3 pick as Machado, who I happen to think is a little overrated. Machado shot up the board only this year while Cowart has been highly ranked by several publications for a couple years. I'd have to think he would sign for #3 money rather than attend Florida State. The question is, how tough of a sign is he really and how does he compare to other players available at #3?

Am I missing something or shouldn't this guy be ranked in the top 5 of the draft this year as a power-hitting, switch-hitting 3B who has been compared to Chipper Jones and comes from the historically baseball rich state of Georgia? Can any of our draft experts chime in?

I didn't think his power was THAT legit? Regardless, he's a good prospect, but you are looking at the difference between a 5 tool SS and a possible 5 tool 3B. Personally, I like Castellanos more, his swing is beautiful, he has good power, and I believe he is more polished of a hitter than Cowart is but I could be wrong.

I think it was Cowart who was reported to have touched 100 MPH when throwing from RF....In some showcase earlier this year...Tremendous arm....Though oiff the mound I believe he is more low 90's touching higher....

I like Nick Castellanos alot better. If you ask me he should get consideration if Tallion is off the board. My persoanl list of picks for the O's would be. All indications are that the O's are going to be serious players on the INT market. We had serious interest in Sano and are looking for a SS now according to Law. It just so happens that 4 of the top 10 INT. guys are SS. Draft Tallion and sign Steilon Peguero or Roughned Odor.

1.Harper

2.Tallion

3.Whitson

4.Nick Castellanos

5.Josh Sale

6.Austin Wilson

I like Nick Castellanos alot better. If you ask me he should get consideration if Tallion is off the board. My persoanl list of picks for the O's would be. All indications are that the O's are going to be serious players on the INT market. We had serious interest in Sano and are looking for a SS now according to Law. It just so happens that 4 of the top 10 INT. guys are SS. Draft Tallion and sign Steilon Peguero or Roughned Odor.

1.Harper

2.Tallion

3.Whitson

4.Nick Castellanos

5.Josh Sale

6.Austin Wilson

That name, my friends, is cash money.

Archived