Taillon to Pirates per KLaw Mock 6-4-10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've suspected all along that the Pirates would end up taking Tallion. Granted, it's not a concensus but the overwhelming feeling has been that Harper and Tallion are clearly the two best talents in the draft. We've also heard the Pirates saying they would take the best talent. I know there were rumors of them not taking a HS arm and being linked to other players but as long as the Pirates are being honest about BPA it seems was only a matter of time until they came around on Tallion.

This. Furthermore, I don't understand why with two games left last year, we made any effort to win. We lose those two games and we get the #2 overall pick. What good came out of winning those last two games? Seriously? We didn't have a 100-loss season? So what. If the Pirates take Taillon and he turns into the stud I think he will be, and our guy doesn't even compare I'm going to be pissed. There is no reason we shouldn't have just re-signed Adam Eaton to pitch those last two games last season.

Because they're professionals with integrity and self-respect, as well as respect for the game.

The O's inability to develop HS position players makes this even worse.

This.

I believe that given the proper nurturing, Machado could certainly become an All-Star caliber SS/2B. However, given our track record, he'll more than likely be a bust, IMO.

We might as well just draft Pomeranz (or a lesser prep arm) and hope for the best. *sigh*

Guys you really shouldn't get to attached to any guy in this draft. I always figured that the top rated pitcher would go second even when the mocks had him slipping to us.

The O's are famous for being just good enough to miss out on difference making players in the draft. Tampa built there team with number 1 and number 2 pics. Plus we don't know how good either Machado or Tallion are going to be so don't get to upset.

I still hope the Orioles will wind up taking Zack Cox at #3. Machado while he's a talent just is too much of a risk given our system and how poor it is developing HS bats.

What gives you hope that we could develop a college bat?

I'm not trying to be snarky this time around, just asking an honest question. At this point, I don't think the Orioles are good at developing much of anything.

Keith Law is not a source you can book it. Regardless of who is available the team will still have an excellent shot at improving itself regardless of whether or not it's Taillon, Pomeranz or Machado etc...

What gives you hope that we could develop a college bat?

I'm not trying to be snarky this time around, just asking an honest question. At this point, I don't think the Orioles are good at developing much of anything.

If a hitter already has a good idea of the strike zone when he comes into the organization, there's less of a chance that we can screw him up. Markakis and Brian Roberts already had a good idea of the strike zone when we drafted them, for instance.

Christian Colon and Zach Cox both have good plate discipline numbers.

I still hope the Orioles will wind up taking Zack Cox at #3. Machado while he's a talent just is too much of a risk given our system and how poor it is developing HS bats.

Why? Because he's the best of a REALLY poor crop of college bats? What happens when you take Rendon next year? And don't give me that use him as a trade piece crap because until he proves something in the ML no one is going to give up a package that would make it worth losing a year of development with a player that is going to be leaps and bounds better than Cox later.

I don't know what you are picturing Cox to be...but you should really take a long look at Chad Tracy and wonder if you'd draft him over Josh Beckett. (God I hate using comps to try to make a point)

Keith Law is not a source you can book it. Regardless of who is available the team will still have an excellent shot at improving itself regardless of whether or not it's Taillon, Pomeranz or Machado etc...

Well...actually, if Law still says this on Sunday you should worry. He has a lot of contacts and has a talent for hearing who people are taking early, as seen with Sanchez who was TOTALLY out of left field last year.

Archived