What kind of MLB game would you prefer to see?

JTrea81

What kind of MLB game would you prefer to see?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of MLB game would you prefer to see?

• Pitching duel
    • Slugfest
    • Balanced game
    • Other (explain below)

Based on the thread where I said MLB needs to pick up the offense, I'm curious to see what kind of game people would prefer to go see if they had a choice. There are some that seem to think the return of the dominant pitcher and regression of offenses is good for the game while others think the lack of offense is going to hurt baseball.

So what do you think?

Personally I think a slugfest is much more entertaining for fans. A pitching duel is usually a quick boring game IMO to the casual fan.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd prefer balanced, as I think when you have a slugfest, it almost cheapens the feeling when you score, if that makes sense. I like games that are like 4-3 or so..meaning the pitching was solid, but it wasn't 1-2-3 every inning.

If I had to choose between a slugfest and pitching duel, I'd definitely take slugfest. Everyone loves homers!

I should have put an age correlation to this poll as well, because I wonder if folks that were first following baseball during the steroid era were used to the slugfest games, and the HR chases, and now that that seems to be gone, the game just doesn't seem to hold as much value considering the offense is depressed.

While those that are older and remember the Year of the Pitcher of 1968, may be relieved to have the game returning to how they used to remember it.

I just wonder if the fans 35 years old and younger will be put off by the lack of offense because they only really remember the game when hitting thrived.

I should have put an age correlation to this poll as well, because I wonder if folks that were first following baseball during the steroid era were used to the slugfest games, and the HR chases, and now that that seems to be gone, the game just doesn't seem to hold as much value considering the offense is depressed.

While those that are older and remember the Year of the Pitcher of 1968, may be relieved to have the game returning to how they used to remember it.

I just wonder if the fans 35 years old and younger will be put off by the lack of offense because they only really remember the game when hitting thrived.

I'm younger than you are, and I enjoy watching a pitchers duel over a slugfest. Of course, I didn't start watching during the steroid era. The first season that I remember was 1986, especially the WS.

I'm 18 and started really getting into baseball in the first half of 2005 (which is why Roberts is my favorite player), but I'd love to see less offense overall. I wish I could have watched baseball in the 60's.

1968 + 36= 2004, I would think someone would have to be over 50 to really remember the year of the pitcher.

Give me a nice, crisp, pitcher's duel 5 days a week and twice on sunday.

Balanced, pitching duel, slugfest.

Or you can swap the order of the pitching duel for the balanced game depending on who is pitching.

I think the more casual fan would tend to go for the slugfest...I think people who truly understand the game would go for a balanced game or a duel first.

Last nights game was just about perfect. I'd much rather watch that than a slugfest.

Well, I'm not 35 anymore (since I turned 36 a few hours ago) and I voted for pitchers duel.

I'd much rather watch a well pitched game that goes 1-0, 2-1 than a 9-11 slugfest. I like games where if feels like every pitch, every at bat matters.

Balanced, pitching duel, slugfest.

Or you can swap the order of the pitching duel for the balanced game depending on who is pitching.

I think the more casual fan would tend to go for the slugfest...I think people who truly understand the game would go for a balanced game or a duel first.

Last nights game was just about perfect. I'd much rather watch that than a slugfest.

Last two nights. Even tho we lost Wednesday, I watched all nine innings for a change.

Archived