When (If EVER) Will The Orioles Get a Hitter Like This?

Old#5fan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honest question, why do you hate Nick Markakis?

I certainly don't hate or even dislike him. I do hate the overating of him here which is absurdly wrong. He doesn't produce runs yet gets every excuse in the book here. Heck Jose Bautista is hitting 236 but has 18 homers and 42 rbi's. I would take him any day. This team needs someone to drive in runs and Markakis is more of a get on base type guy who needs a Vlad hitting behind him then we might have something. It really isn't his fault that MacPhail hasn't got a true big bat for this team.

For their careers, Nick has an OPS of 836..Young 801.

Nick's career OBP is 370..Young's is 350.

Nick's career slugging is 467..Young 451.

Young's career BA is 303...Nick's is 298.

Nick is better than Young and Young has had the hitters priviledge of playing in the AL's version of Coors field for much of his career.

Young is having a better year this year, with the bat right now...I stress the words right now because Nick's OPS today is better than Young's OPS was on June 8..Yes, that's right, just a few days ago. YOung's OPS has jumped 50 points since then.

So, its very easy to start threads like this when you actually ignore facts and don't look at how things really were.

So please, just stop now...You have already been made to look really poor in this thread and the deeper you dig the hole, the dumber you are going to look.

Oh and Nick is hitting 300 and has 21 RBIs...But let me guess, Thorne told you those stats this morning and you just went with it, right? :rolleyes:

Nick is an outfielder and Young is an infielder that plays shortstop or third. Both are solid players, I would trade Nick Markakis for more prospects, because the Orioles are not close to their competition IMO.

The point I was making is the Orioles could have had Vlad and most teams that are competitive have better top hitters than Markakis. He's not the top hitter on a good team.

There was ZERO chance Vlad was going to sign with the Orioles. The cities makeup does not suit him, just like it didn't suit him back in 2004 when he was a free agnet. In 2004, the Orioles had the only offer on the table for him for over a month...

Imagine just how good Markakis would be with a normal/healthy Roberts hitting #1, Nick #2, and a serious REAL #3 behind him. I think he could hit .330...

I think not have B-Rob has affected the whole team...Nick's RBIs would be higher if he was there.

I certainly don't hate or even dislike him. I do hate the overating of him here which is absurdly wrong. He doesn't produce runs yet gets every excuse in the book here. Heck Jose Bautista is hitting 236 but has 18 homers and 42 rbi's. I would take him any day. This team needs someone to drive in runs and Markakis is more of a get on base type guy who needs a Vlad hitting behind him then we might have something. It really isn't his fault that MacPhail hasn't got a true big bat for this team.

In 4 full seasons, he has driven in 100 runs twice and been in the 90s as well.

To say he doesn't drive in runs is an absurd comment.

He isn't driving them in thus far this year...That would be the correct comment. I realize you don't understand the difference between the 2 but the rest of the board does.

Michael Young is one of the best overall and clutch hitters I have seen in over 40 years of following baseball so please go somwhere and take a nap. Even so, he pales in comparison to Vlad which everone chooses to ignore which was the point of this thread. If indded you are truly are old enough to recall Brooks Robinson and follow the game and were totally honest you would have to agree. Your tripe gets old.:rolleyes:

Brooks wouldn't want to be used this way. You should be ashamed of yourself. I'm very impressed by the points made in the responses to your reckless post and hope you will consider them wisely and refrain from future, undeserved attacks on the performance of Nick Markakis--a player the O's are very fortunate to have developed and signed up to a long-term contract.

He isn't driving them in thus far this year...That would be the correct comment. I realize you don't understand the difference between the 2 but the rest of the board does.

Is someone I've got monkeylisted (old#5fan) because of his Internet troll-like behavior complaining that Markakis isn't driving in runs this year? Perhaps that has something to do with his spending the season batting mostly behind Jones, Tejada, Lugo, and/or Patterson, with respective on base percentages of .290, .304, .255, and .315? I can't read his postings (thank God!), but I'm sure he's an honorable man, and I'm sure he researched these very stats so as not to post in ignorance and has finally begun to realize there's a connection between RBI's and the on base percentage of people hitting in front of you. Maybe he even noticed the connection between Tejada's Oriole record 150 RBI's in 2004 and having players batting in front of him like Mora (.419), Roberts (.344), Hairston (.378), and Newhan (.361)? Of course he did.

Addendum added ~5 minutes later: With runners in scoring position, Markakis has the highest batting average (.308) and OPS (.845) on the Orioles this year. Tejada, the guy who was supposed to hit much better with runners in scoring position, is hitting .222 in that situation with an OPS of .631. But let's not let facts get in the way of biases built up over 40 years of non-observational baseball experience.

It's hard to drive in runs when nobody gets on base in front of you... Judging a hitter by RBI's is just plain ridiculous.

Sorry I will take Young any day. He's even had clutch winning hits in Allstar games, which BTW, if Markakis is so great how come he has appeared in ZERO All-star games so far? Just because he is the best hitter on the Orioles doesn't mean he's better than true all-star players who have not only played in multiple All-star games have had game winning hits. Get back to me whenever Markakis even shows up on the field in an All-star game much less does something noteworthy. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!:laughlol:

You only need to be great for 2- 3 months to be an All-Star. So you are way overrating the All-Star tag. And if you would take just 30 sec. and look at all the stats that have been provided to you, you would see that Markakis is head and shoulders better than Young.

You only need to be great for 2- 3 months to be an All-Star. So you are way overrating the All-Star tag. And if you would take just 30 sec. and look at all the stats that have been provided to you, you would see that Markakis is head and shoulders better than Young.

Give it up. His agenda doesn't permit intelligent discourse.

And as for his All-Star tripe, his boy Adam Jones was an All-Star last year. How's that working out for the O's?

It's hard to drive in runs when nobody gets on base in front of you... Judging a hitter by RBI's is just plain ridiculous.

Ever hear of a home run? Tony Batista was a lousy hitter but routinely drove in 90 runs because 30 of his hits were homers. If Markakis had 10-12 more homers right now he would have close to what a good rbi man should have and whoever was or was not on base ahead of him would be essentially moot.

Markakis is not an elite right fielder which is highly evident as he never beats out anyone for the All-star squad - not even his own teammates!! Young is an elite infielder and does beat out his competitiors and is a multiple All-star. If you cannot see the logic that Young is better there is no point of discussing. Young stands out among his peers, Markakis doesn't and that is a fact (at least at this point in his career unless something drastically changes).

Tony Batista used to drive in 90 runs per year as an Oriole. So what? That isn't anything exceptional. He also did it mainly with the homer which does't require people always being on base ahead of him, which is the predominant excuse why Markakis has so few rbi. Yet the fact he has a paltry 3 homers is conveniently overlooked.

I certainly don't hate or even dislike him. I do hate the overating of him here which is absurdly wrong. He doesn't produce runs yet gets every excuse in the book here.

Markakis had 112 RBI in 2007 and 101 last year. He's hitting well with runners in scoring position this year, but there aren't a lot of opportunities for him. It's simply not true that he hasn't produced runs here, except this year.

Archived