Rendon Wins BA's College POY

He will look good in the Pirates organization.

I agree. I am going to be so pissed when the O's pull off their late August 10 game winning streak and it costs us this kid. I can see it happening. A new manager comes in. Jones relaxes. Roberts is healthy. Wieters hits a few bombs. Arrieta and Matusz dominate. There will be pies in the face and dancing on the Hangout. Then next year we draft some HS pitcher with a straight as an arrow fast ball.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. If Rendon demonstrates SS ability, what does that do to his draft profile?:scratchchinhmm:

He'd have to show ML SS ability -- he's certainly capable of playing it at the college level given his hands and arm strength. Can't really go higher than best position player, so I think it maybe tacks $$ onto his bonus, but that's it.

He'd have to show ML SS ability -- he's certainly capable of playing it at the college level given his hands and arm strength. Can't really go higher than best position player, so I think it maybe tacks $$ onto his bonus, but that's it.

Right, I was thinking if he showed ML SS ability. In terms of draft profile, I meant how he would be considered relative to previous #1s if he projected to take that bat to the big leagues as a SS. I'd think he would be in pretty select class.

Right, I was thinking if he showed ML SS ability. In terms of draft profile, I meant how he would be considered relative to previous #1s if he projected to take that bat to the big leagues as a SS. I'd think he would be in pretty select class.

Yeah. I mean, I don't see him as a ML SS. His range isn't great and his side to side movements are stronger when he's reacting than when he's angling on a ball. He charges REALLY well -- he's a stud 3B and that's where he ends up, I think. Profiles similarly to Longoria (who was a very solid SS at LBSU).

Hypothetically if he were able to play average ML defense at SS I'd basically see him as another late-90s to early 2000s Nomar Garciaparra.

Yeah. I mean, I don't see him as a ML SS. His range isn't great and his side to side movements are stronger when he's reacting than when he's angling on a ball. He charges REALLY well -- he's a stud 3B and that's where he ends up, I think. Profiles similarly to Longoria (who was a very solid SS at LBSU).

Hypothetically if he were able to play average ML defense at SS I'd basically see him as another late-90s to early 2000s Nomar Garciaparra.

I agree. He should and will end up at 3b.

If they do, I'm done. And I'm not kidding.

No player in the draft is better than Rendon.

Perhaps I'll start advocating Cole for the 1st pick. :laughlol:

Rendon is the early favorite, but it is premature to say no player in the draft is better than Rendon. Gerrit Cole is an absolute stud. I agree with your recent point that Rendon should be the O's choice barring major injury or a very dissapointing junior season.

Rendon is the early favorite, but it is premature to say no player in the draft is better than Rendon. Gerrit Cole is an absolute stud. I agree with your recent point that Rendon should be the O's choice barring major injury or a very dissapointing junior season.

Then again, North Dakota phenom, Sil Opkram, may have something to say about who goes #1. :)

Yeah, taking everything into account, it's tough to argue that as of today there is a better fit for BAL than Rendon. Depending on how the summer goes, he could be the easy favorite for #1 overall or one of the college arms could jump ahead. Should be an entertaining Cape season and month or so with Team USA.

One more reason we should keep open the possibility of shutting down some of our better-performing young pitchers "to keep their innings down." I'll take 15 late-season 5-inning starts by Hendrickson and Uehara and the #1 pick in the draft, please. :D

Archived