Sun: O's swap Wolf for Fox

Moose Milligan

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm not seeing it... but why is everyone excited about this move? Doesn't look like hes' done much in the bigs. Maybe I'm missing something.. Can someone please fill me in.

Thanks.

Because the Os gave up nothing and upgraded their 1B. They got a guy with nice power shown in the minors who projects to be at least decent production in the big leagues...which is well beyond the gaping hole they currently have at 1B. Not a big move for most teams, but a nice upgrade for this one.

Maybe I'm not seeing it... but why is everyone excited about this move? Doesn't look like hes' done much in the bigs. Maybe I'm missing something.. Can someone please fill me in.

Thanks.

It's the most exciting thing to happen in some time... that just goes to show you the sad state of affairs. :D

Plus Fox appears to be a solid resrve type who can at least be better than Atkins in the interim.

Thanks.

MacPhail has made a major move. He jumped at the chance to get a former Cub. MacPhial is showing he can interview managers and make player moves. He is the man of the hour.

It's the most exciting thing to happen in some time... that just goes to show you the sad state of affairs. :D

Plus Fox appears to be a solid resrve type who can at least be better than Atkins in the interim.

And last year he was hitting .409 with 17 homers at AAA. Hit 11 dingers in Chicago. He's worth a flier for sure.

By the way, I think Fox has a real chance to be the new Floyd Rayford. Plays the corners, or at least can stand there, catches in a pinch, has some power, body type won't remind anyone of Brandon Fahey. He just needs an appropriate breakfast cereal-themed nickname.

After he has been on this team for a few weeks, Shredded Wheat may be appropriate. ;)

Let's not forget the A's were trying to convert him to catcher as well.

I wonder if this might mean Wieters might be going down to AAA, with Tatum as the full time catcher and Fox as the backup.

It would explain why Atkins would still be on the roster.

Bergy up, Wieters down would be my prediction...

I'd honestly rather release Montanez and keep Atkins. Yes, you read that right. Don't get me wrong, Atkins needed to go two months ago, but Montanez needed to go before him. He rots on the bench worse than Pie did last year, and he adds nothing to the team. How he's still taking up space is beyond me.

Agree on all counts! :clap3:

Don't want to be negative but anyone else find it ironic after the year MacPhail's had that he's picked Billy Beane to be a trading partner? What's the chance Beane gave up a guy with starting ability for a middle reliever?

Let's not forget the A's were trying to convert him to catcher as well.

I wonder if this might mean Wieters might be going down to AAA, with Tatum as the full time catcher and Fox as the backup.

It would explain why Atkins would still be on the roster.

Bergy up, Wieters down would be my prediction...

I seriously doubt it.

Because the Os gave up nothing and upgraded their 1B. They got a guy with nice power shown in the minors who projects to be at least decent production in the big leagues...which is well beyond the gaping hole they currently have at 1B. Not a big move for most teams, but a nice upgrade for this one.

They gave up nothing, but they didn't really upgrade first base. The O's may get lucky and the guy gets hot for a few weeks, but this is basically shuffling the deck chairs. Not a bad move, but barely note worthy.

I am glad they got Fox but I am not convinced he is going to be some big upgrade over Atkins.

Its a move they should have made but it really boggles my mind that they do this and not go after the better player in Conor Jackson.

Fox has some very ugly peripheral batting stats and Jackson was a better candidate to "break out".

I am glad they got Fox but I am not convinced he is going to be some big upgrade over Atkins.

Its a move they should have made but it really boggles my mind that they do this and not go after the better player in Conor Jackson.

Fox has some very ugly peripheral batting stats and Jackson was a better candidate to "break out".

I agree with most of your logic here, I'm just not sure we get Jackson for Wolf. I'm not sure who an equivalent type guy for the O's minor system would have been a match to Demel.

Sacramento is where Demel, 24, was 2-0 with a 1.26 ERA and six saves in 22 games this year. The right-handed pitcher -- drafted by the A's in the third round in 2007 -- is expected to join the D-backs in Boston on Wednesday and immediately join a struggling Arizona bullpen.

A third round pick from 2007 for the O's would have been closest to Bascom. I'm just not sure we had a pitcher like this in our system that could immediately be plugged into Arizona's bullpen. Clearly they were looking for and desperately need the help.

I agree with most of your logic here, I'm just not sure we get Jackson for Wolf. I'm not sure who an equivalent type guy for the O's minor system would have been a match to Demel.

A third round pick from 2007 for the O's would have been closest to Bascom. I'm just not sure we had a pitcher like this in our system that could immediately be plugged into Arizona's bullpen. Clearly they were looking for and desperately need the help.

Ehh, I am sure we could have come up with something...Maybe needing to send 2 players or something like that.

Archived