Actions Speak Louder than Words

SilentJames

I feel like it made Andy Macphail look better then people think actually. It showed how bad things were before he got here and showed the things that he's done since to put us into a better spot moving forward. He has brought some good tools to better organize things throughout the organization which will only help in the following years. I feel better about our future now then i did before reading the article.

I agree to an extent. The one thing that confuses me is why AM takes the amateur draft spending as a positive, when we are spending less than the Red Sox despite our having top 5 picks every year. When we are getting killed in international spending, dwarfed in major league payroll, and marginally outspent on the draft, where exactly are we getting the edge in terms of investments?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The most disappointing thing to hear about AM is that he trusts so few people in the organization. I wonder if this is because of Angelos' croonies, or this is just the way he works. You've got to think that he needs to hire someone else to help with the process.

Because a lot of the people in this organization are leftovers from past regimes. And as you can see, a lot of people were always in Angelos's ear trying to get a leg up all the time.

I don't blame AM for this type of management style when an organization has been corrupt for so long. You have to find out who is with you and and who is not.. and it's going to take time to weed the suckers out. As you see with Dave Stockstill. The guy to me sounds like a complete incompetent joke but still holds a job in the O's organization for some bogus reason. I'm sure AM isn't counting on anything productive from this guy, but has to deal with him for obvious reasons. So you reassign him to a part of the org that is not as critical.. and since the O's blow at the international part of the business.. That's where you bury someone.

I feel like it made Andy Macphail look better then people think actually. It showed how bad things were before he got here and showed the things that he's done since to put us into a better spot moving forward. He has brought some good tools to better organize things throughout the organization which will only help in the following years. I feel better about our future now then i did before reading the article.

You will possibly get killed for saying that but I sort of agree. Based on Tony's recent attitude/opinion/whatever towards AM, I sorta felt like this piece would be very damning specifically towards AM. To Tony's credit (maybe his sit down with AM brought him back from the ledge a little) I think it didn't paint AM in a bad light. Much of the criticism in the article is the same criticism the anti-AM crowd spouts day to day here (speed and FAs). To me this piece is much more damning to Angelos than it is AM. There are certainly some barbs but really how can you be 3 years into your "plan" have the worst record in baseball and not be subject to barbs.. Sounds like in some of the organizational personnel decisions AM's hands tied.

Typical Angelos...Man that guy is a horrible baseball owner.

There has been recent instability in Venezuela that has screwed some things up for teams not already there.

For what is worth the Orioles used to have a Ven, Summer League team and apparently only seven MLB teams have VSL affiliates. And two teams cooperating is not unheard of.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "instability"?

I always assumed we got Moss to fill the hole Ponson left in the rotation with an at-least-mediocre arm, similar to how we took back Mora for Bordick (though that one turned out a lot better), and that we probably didn't have any other options from the Giants.

Guess I should have known better.

We finally have MacPhail on record saying he had no intention of paying Mark Teixeira $180 million. He had no desire to do what it would take as it conflicted with his "self-interest."

Basically what we've learned is that MacPhail has no intentions of bringing premium talent to Baltimore, nor does he have the desire to make a major effort in international scouting.

Bottom line is that this article paints MacPhail as what he is - a cheap, conservative GM who is hell bent on following a model yet refusing to do what made that model successful.

Basically as long as Andy MacPhail is in charge, the Orioles will never win.

You will possibly get killed for saying that but I sort of agree. Based on Tony's recent attitude/opinion/whatever towards AM, I sorta felt like this piece would be very damning specifically towards AM. To Tony's credit (maybe his sit down with AM brought him back from the ledge a little) I think it didn't paint AM in a bad light. Much of the criticism in the article is the same criticism the anti-AM crowd spouts day to day here (speed and FAs). To me this piece is much more damning to Angelos than it is AM. There are certainly some barbs but really how can you be 3 years into your "plan" have the worst record in baseball and not be subject to barbs.. Sounds like in some of the organizational personnel decisions AM's hands tied.

Typical Angelos...Man that guy is a horrible baseball owner.

I agree, Macphail might not be the guy to put us over the edge into contention because his inability on the personnel side just as he had issues with this in chicago but he is the type of guy that can get a rebuild done and get the organization back on the right track. People this year for some reason just lost all patience because it's been 3 years. A rebuild does not happen over night. Sure there have been hiccups this year but i still feel that we are on the right track and are much improved talent wise then a few years ago.

Because a lot of the people in this organization are leftovers from past regimes. And as you can see, a lot of people were always in Angelos's ear trying to get a leg up all the time.

I don't blame AM for this type of management style when an organization has been corrupt for so long. You have to find out who is with you and and who is not.. and it's going to take time to weed the suckers out. As you see with Dave Stockstill. The guy to me sounds like a complete incompetent joke but still holds a job in the O's organization for some bogus reason. I'm sure AM isn't counting on anything productive from this guy, but has to deal with him for obvious reasons. So you reassign him to a part of the org that is not as critical.. and since the O's blow at the international part of the business.. That's where you bury someone.

Yeah, I get why he did it. But, if you don't trust the people around you, I think you have to bring in folks from outside that you do trust. That way you're not hamstring, and it makes it easier to bury the people like Dave Stockstill who are only a drain on the team.

I agree to an extent. The one thing that confuses me is why AM takes the amateur draft spending as a positive, when we are spending less than the Red Sox despite our having top 5 picks every year. When we are getting killed in international spending, dwarfed in major league payroll, and marginally outspent on the draft, where exactly are we getting the edge in terms of investments?

That's my big question as well. If he's for building through the draft and spending through the draft then he needs to do the same internationally for talent that can be very similar to the rule 4 draft.

We finally have MacPhail on record saying he had no intention of paying Mark Teixeira $180 million. He had no desire to do what it would take as it conflicted with his "self-interest."

Basically what we've learned is that MacPhail has no intentions of bringing premium talent to Baltimore, nor does he have the desire to make a major effort in international scouting.

Bottom line is that this article paints MacPhail as what he is - a cheap, conservative GM who is hell bent on following a model yet refusing to do what made that model successful.

That's not what I got out of it at all.. I think you're trying to build a house before laying the foundation with this assertation.

What we have is you ignoring every other fact in the piece and only singling those out because you are hell bent on having Macphail removed. It's always the same tune with you no matter what.

Archived