O's add Catonsville SS - Glynn Davis

Being a poor defender is tied to many areas. Is the guy not setting his feet before her throws? Is he hurrying his throws? Is he not keeping his glove on the ground? Is he trying to back-hand too many balls?

For me, I would look at. What kind of range does the guy have? Is his arm above average? Can he charge a ball quickly and throw across his body? How does he look when back handing a ball in the hole?

The Orioles of all teams wouldn't have signed the guy if he didn't have any ability.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He played in 10 games this summer -- fewer than 40 plate appearances. More likely, BAL has been following him throughout the spring (and earlier) -- had a very strong spring for Community College of Baltimore County - Catonsville. Honestly, he fits in with BAL's focus on HS/JuCo kids and I wouldn't get crazy pumped for him. I don't know a ton about him, but the general profile for someone in his position would be moderate upside and low-probability. Certainly encouraging that he has performed well at the JuCo level and in what is usually a second tier summer league.

But he wasn't an under-the-radar kid, so it does say SOMETHING that he went undrafted. He was first team 2010 NJCAA Division II Baseball All-Region and a 2010 NJCAA Division II Baseball All-American nominee.

If Terry Rooney of UCF picked him up from a MD Juco, he must be a talent. Rooney was the top assistant at LSU, and recruiting coordinator, before he took the job at UCF. With all the talent he could have here in this state, he took Davis. That says something.

Nice to see some of the story related to this. As you can see, some players just fall through the cracks. It is impossible for scouts to know everybody in their area. Good job by the Orioles to beat the bushes and turn over every rock in their backyard.

If Terry Rooney of UCF picked him up from a MD Juco, he must be a talent. Rooney was the top assistant at LSU, and recruiting coordinator, before he took the job at UCF. With all the talent he could have here in this state, he took Davis. That says something.

While these statements are true, it is worth noting that CCBC head coach Dan Blue is an alum of UCF and has connections there.

Saw Davis take BP and behind Givens and Machado, he was probably the best guy. Has a nice setup and his swing looks pretty compact. He'll be interesting to watch next spring.

Thanks for passing that along Tony. Good stuff!

Any idea what position he may end up?

BA mentions Davis in their top 10 prospects of the Cal Ripken Collegiate League. Unfortunately it's behind a pay wall and I don't have a subscription.

Considering that there are 9 other players listed in the article, I feel okay posting the paragraph about Davis, who they rated as the #1 prospect in the Cal Ripken Collegiate League. Here's what they say about Davis:

1. Glynn Davis, of/1b, Youse's Orioles (SIGNED: Orioles)

Davis went undrafted after his sophomore year at Catonsville (Md.) CC, but he signed with the Orioles after going 16-for-37 (.432) with two homers in a brief Ripken League stint. Davis' best tool is his speed—he has been clocked between 6.3 and 6.4 seconds in the 60-yard dash, making him a true 80 runner on the 20-80 scale. He has a good feel for using his speed on the basepaths, helping him go 6-for-6 in stolen base attempts this summer. He played shortstop this spring at Catonsville but will move to center field in pro ball. He shows average arm strength from the outfield. Davis' lean, 6-foot-2, 170-pound frame has projection, and his quick hands generate plus bat speed. The ball jumps off his bat when he connects from an upright stance, producing hard line drives to the gaps and occasional loft power. He likes the ball up in the zone and keeps his hands inside the ball well. His above-average hand-eye coordination should help him improve his pitch recognition as he sees more offspeed stuff in pro ball.

His name is Glynn Davis? :laughlol:

Glad they went out and got some more talent. I wonder why they didn't use a late round pick on him if they felt he was a 10ish round talent.

If he develops, we could move him for Pat Harnisch, Stiv Finley, & Kirk Schilling.

Archived