O's add Catonsville SS - Glynn Davis

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
something tells me this might be a waste of money. If this kid is a top 10 rd talent how did EVERY other team miss on him?

I suppose it was a waste of money for the Dodgers to have drafted Mike Piazza in the 62nd round in 1988(he would have been undrafted if the draft then was limited to 50 rounds). Mike Bordick was a complete waste because the A's signed him as an undrafted free agent. There have been numerous other players that were signed as undrafted free agents that went on to have solid Major League careers. We want the Orioles to pursue talent where ever available. Why would you be critical of them when they do so?:confused:

I suppose it was a waist of money for the Dodgers to have drafted Mike Piazza in the 62nd round in 1988(he would have been undrafted if the draft then was limited to 50 rounds). Mike Bordick was a complete waste because the A's signed him as an undrafted free agent. There have been numerous other players that were signed as undrafted free agents that went on to have solid Major League careers. We want the Orioles to pursue talent where ever available. Why would you be critical of them when they do so?:confused:

Although the above guys were passed over by every other team, they were not paid top 10 $. This is what raises the question of why another team did not take a chance on him in the late rounds if he has that much upside (Yes, I know round 10 picks rarely pan out).

Has anyone seen this guy play since he is local?

Although the above guys were passed over by every other team, they were not paid top 10 $. This is what raises the question of why another team did not take a chance on him in the late rounds if he has that much upside (Yes, I know round 10 picks rarely pan out).

Has anyone seen this guy play since he is local?

The article says"They gave him a bonus that was the equivalent to what some top ten round picks got in this past draft." Numerous top 10 round draft picks received anywhere from $20,000 to $35,000. This may be all he got. All in all it is likely not a huge gamble at all. Reading the article, it does seem like the guy has some legitimate talent(at least speed). People fall through the cracks all the time. Each year there are numerous first round draft picks from colleges who were not drafted out of high school(sometimes due to high bonus demands-sometimes for other reasons). It is impossible for scouts to know about everyone. Perhaps he told scouts he was committed to going to college and changed his mind like teenagers are known to do. Evidently someone thought highly enough of him to put him on the scout team, the Orioles were impressed and signed him.

Also what does "some top ten picks" really mean?

I mean obviously closer to the 10 spot. But this could be equivalent to the cheapest paid top 10 player too. Not that I'm sure how much that amount is either.

Bywater got paid less than our overslot picks after. What's a normal slotted 10th round pick supposed to get? I assume that's what he's talking about.

And even if it's 50-100k aren't people on these boards always clamoring for us to take more talent and pay for it?

Even if he got 100k I really don't see any harms in the Orioles going after players they think have talent and paying for it. Or am I missing something?

Maybe teams did not know he was draft eligible, or he had a college commitment, or he was a late bloomer. Either way I'm glad we got him, we are really loading up on the SS prospects, With the logjam at SS at Delmarva and Aberdeen (I see Narron playing there next year) I see him playing Bluefield. The speed sounds very exciting hopefully he can be a good lead off type guy.

People always want this team to spend more money, and now we are. If the scouts feel he deserves ten round money then lets give it to him either way I'm glad to have him in the system.

One of my very good friends played with him and said his defense is the worst part of his game and doesn't see him sticking at SS for long. He also said he had a real good summer and thats why teams started looking to sign him.

Good players fly under the radar and get overlooked all the time. And although a few players who played at Catonsville CC have been signed -- I remember a couple off the top of my hear, Jeff Nelson years back, and last year, Mike Flacco -- it isn't exactly a ML prospect hot bed. I'm just happy to see the Orioles sign another local guy.

Archived