Trey Hillman to manage the Royals

Boy Howdy

From that link:

Hillman then became a very popular figure in Japan, leading the Ham Fighters from a stretch of dismal campaigns to a composite 351-324 mark (.520 winning percentage) over five seasons, going to the post-season on three occasions, including a Japan Series title in 2006. His efforts were rewarded when he was named the 2006 Japan "Sportsman of the Year" by the 2006 Foreign Sportswriters of Japan.

I'm not sure, but I think maybe they goofed. I don't think the team is named the Nippon "Ham Fighters". I think it's named the "Nippon Ham" Fighters. They don't name their teams after cities or states, they name them after companies. And this team is owned by Nippon Ham, and their nickname is the "Fighters".

What would a "Ham Fighter" be anyway? A turkey? An asparagus? Or maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Maybe a "Ham Fighter" would be "a ham who fights". Like William Shatner duking it out with a Klingon...

From that link:

I'm not sure, but I think maybe they goofed. I don't think the team is named the Nippon "Ham Fighters". I think it's named the "Nippon Ham" Fighters. They don't name their teams after cities or states, they name them after companies. And this team is owned by Nippon Ham, and their nickname is the "Fighters".

What would a "Ham Fighter" be anyway? A turkey? An asparagus? Or maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Maybe a "Ham Fighter" would be "a ham who fights". Like William Shatner duking it out with a Klingon...

I can confirm that it is the "Nippon-Ham" Fighters. That's still a better name than the Hiroshima Carp or the Tokyo Yakult Swallows.

With this post, sir, you've solved one of the lingering mysteries of my baseball life.

While I may sleep better tonight, I'm a little sad that the long wondering is over.

With this post, sir, you've solved one of the lingering mysteries of my baseball life.

While I may sleep better tonight, I'm a little sad that the long wondering is over.

Well, you could wonder why another company would name their baseball team the Carp (The guy in the picture appears to be pondering that very thing ;-)

Archived