TiredofLosing20

I do think the Orioles and some of the fans need to get out of that "wait another year" mentality.

But that mentality doesn't have to be in the form of "trade dumb package of players for 1 year option".

That's where my issues lie.

So, for right now, unless we can pick up a 3+ year guy, we shoud be going out and making smart decisions...Jumping on guys that have had a good recent history but perhaps just one bad year is a good thing..especially if they don't cost you a draft pick or much in the way of a trade.

I would like add Beltre this offseason but I don't think his addition is a realistic one. I think mark Reynolds is realistic. I think Hardy and DLee are realistic.

Give me those 3 guys and I will be happy...I would like more than that(the Willingham idea is interesting) but I think that would be a solid start.

Then, once the trade deadline comes around, we can see where we are at and make some moves or just wait until the offseason and try to get AGon or Fielder at that point.

Lee, Hardy and Reynolds would be an excellent offseason. However, I'm not so sure that the Twins and Diamondbacks will just give away Hardy and Reynolds. Do we have enough chips to acquire both?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lee, Hardy and Reynolds would be an excellent offseason. However, I'm not so sure that the Twins and Diamondbacks will just give away Hardy and Reynolds. Do we have enough chips to acquire both?

First of all, we absolutely have enough to trade for both of them...and another player or 2.

Reynolds won't cost much in a trade.

Hardy is headed down the non tender road IMO.

The Twins, unless they are dealing Cuddyer or Morneau and don't pick up Kubel's option, owe a lot of money to just a few handful of players next year.

I can easily see them going with a guy like Trevor Plouffe at SS and just kind of go from there...Or, if they find a vet for a few million to sign but Hardy will be a lot more expensive.

They may tender him to trade him but if teams know they have to trade him, they are only going to get so much for him.

I wouldn't count on Lee and Hardy to be available. There are a number of teams with a need for a 1B, and al are more attractive destinations than the O's, except maybe the Gnats. I doubt Hardy will be non tendered, so basically you are trading for one year of him. How much are you willing to give up for him?

Then you miust not believe in the heliocentric theory of the solar system either. We got .625 OPS at 1B, .668 at 3B, and .549 at SS. Are you tellihg me you don't think Hardy, Lee, and Reynolds wouldn't be much of an improvement? :rolleyestf:

sure some marginal improvement. not enough to compete with the Yanks, Socks, or even Rays.

When your talent is rock bottom like 1B ..you can improve by accident.

The Twins, unless they are dealing Cuddyer or Morneau and don't pick up Kubel's option, owe a lot of money to just a few handful of players next year.

I have a man-crush on this guy. If there's any chance he's healthy and attainable (both big ifs), I'd love for the O's to make a run at him.

Then I GREATLY question your knowledge and ability to evaluate a player.

Sure and I yours!

Now batting clean up for the Orioled Pena & his .190 batting average. Reynolds and stats comparable to 2009. And the non tendered candidate JJ Hardy. My point is no ,more stop gaps... None of these guys are star players.

The difference between Izzy & Hardy is about .13 point in batting average & 15 extra base hits over a season. I doubt Hardy's defense is equivalent to Izzy's.

Sure and I yours!

Now batting clean up for the Orioled Pena & his .190 batting average. Reynolds and stats comparable to 2009. And the non tendered candidate JJ Hardy. My point is no ,more stop gaps... None of these guys are star players.

The difference between Izzy & Hardy is about .13 point in batting average & 15 extra base hits over a season. I doubt Hardy's defense is equivalent to Izzy's.

And this is why people question your methods. Average is not one of the better ways to determine a player's value.

Over their career, Hardy has a .09 higher average, but a 0.27 higher OBP, and .100 higher OPS, for a total .127 higher OPS.

You really are selling 15 more XBHs short, which would double what Izturis had in 2010 (also 15).

And this is why people question you methods.

Over their career, Hardy has a .09 higher average, but a 0.27 higher OBP, and .100 higher OPS, for a total .127 higher OPS.

You really are selling 15 more XBHs short, which would double what Izturis had in 2010 (also 15).

So we agree that Hardy would be a small upgrade right?

Archived