Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

FYI

Peter Gammons was on the Mike Francesa show today (fka Mike and The Mad Dog) and Mike was running down a list of free agents. Carlos Pena came up and Peter immediately said he has heard the O's are very interested. Mike asked about another team and Peter again stressed the O's are very interested. Unfortunately I tuned in at the end of the list and only caught a few names. Did hear Wiggy's name and it sounded like Peter was not prepared for that one. He hesitated and said Atlanta maybe but then said strong possibility O's re-sign him.

Sorry if this is old news and interest in Pena is discussed in another thread. Have not been on the Hangout in a while

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see a ton of people on here wanting Dunn. I don't understand why there isn't more of a movement to get Konerko. This guy puts up great #'s every year, plays a solid 1b and will DH if you need him to. No brainer to me.

Nov. 9, 2010 - 3:32 p.m. ET

The White Sox are expected to have a chance to match any offer made this offseason to free agent Paul Konerko.

Konerko has a great relationship with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and that bond should make for fair and reasonable contract negotiations this winter. The 34-year-old first baseman batted .312 with 39 home runs and 111 RBI over 149 games for the Sox in 2010 and is expected to draw interest from teams both in the American and National League.

Source: ESPN Chicago...Go O's!!!

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=2493

I don't care if he K's more, if he also walks alot more. Give me the walk and K rate of Rasmus any day.

Jones K Rate is like 19% 119 K's/621 AB If you add BB's 23 the K rate is 18.4 %

Rasmus was at like 27.7% 148k's/ 534 AB If you had the 63 bb's the K rate is 24.7%

Gotta tell ya ...I much prefer Adams numbers. I think theres reason to believe that Rasmus will improve that K Rate since he K'd 50 less times in nearly the same # of ABs last season.

Jones K Rate is like 19% 119 K's/621 AB If you add BB's 23 the K rate is 18.4 %

Rasmus was at like 27.7% 148k's/ 534 AB If you had the 63 bb's the K rate is 24.7%

Gotta tell ya ...I much prefer Adams numbers. I think theres reason to believe that Rasmus will improve that K Rate since he K'd 50 less times in nearly the same # of ABs last season.

I'm pretty sure the K rate is based on PA, not AB. So, BB would already be factored in.

FYI

Peter Gammons was on the Mike Francesa show today (fka Mike and The Mad Dog) and Mike was running down a list of free agents. Carlos Pena came up and Peter immediately said he has heard the O's are very interested. Mike asked about another team and Peter again stressed the O's are very interested. Unfortunately I tuned in at the end of the list and only caught a few names. Did hear Wiggy's name and it sounded like Peter was not prepared for that one. He hesitated and said Atlanta maybe but then said strong possibility O's re-sign him.

Sorry if this is old news and interest in Pena is discussed in another thread. Have not been on the Hangout in a while

Wow really ...Geez I hope not ...I like the homers ..But the guy hasn't hit above .250 avg in three years.

Whats funny is 1 in every 3-4 times he gets a hit its a homer...Talk about all or nothing.

Nov. 9' date=' 2010 - 3:32 p.m. ET[/i']

The White Sox are expected to have a chance to match any offer made this offseason to free agent Paul Konerko.

Konerko has a great relationship with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and that bond should make for fair and reasonable contract negotiations this winter. The 34-year-old first baseman batted .312 with 39 home runs and 111 RBI over 149 games for the Sox in 2010 and is expected to draw interest from teams both in the American and National League.

Source: ESPN Chicago...Go O's!!!

http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=2493

Konerko hit .259, .240 and .277 in the three years prior to 2010. Then he suddenly surged back to .312, thereby hitting .300 for a season for only the second time since 2002. He'll be 35 before Opening Day next year. Depending on him for anything resembling his 2010 numbers would be foolhardy, IMO.

Konerko hit .259, .240 and .277 in the three years prior to 2010. Then he suddenly surged back to .312, thereby hitting .300 for a season for only the second time since 2002. He'll be 35 before Opening Day next year. Depending on him for anything resembling his 2010 numbers would be foolhardy, IMO.

I agree with your point ...How do you feel about Pena?

Until last season, even with fairly low batting averages, Pena's OBP and OPS had still been decent to very good. Last year was pretty poor across the board. I guess the question is can he bounce back? If they can get him on a one-year deal with an option if he does well...yeah, I'd take a flyer. But I'd be afraid to offer someone with that big a question mark a multi-year deal.

I agree with your point ...How do you feel about Pena?

TBH, he strikes me as a better fielding, older, less offensively reliable and less offensively talented Adam Dunn. The difference between the two comes down to price vs. performance, IMO.

Of course, even with a better glove, Pena's WAR has declined for 3 straight seasons. At this point, unless his price tag is rock-bottom, I wouldn't look at him as a viable 1B option.

TBH, he strikes me as a better fielding, older, less offensively reliable and less offensively talented Adam Dunn. The difference between the two comes down to price vs. performance, IMO.

Of course, even with a better glove, Pena's WAR has declined for 3 straight seasons. At this point, unless his price tag is rock-bottom, I wouldn't look at him as a viable 1B option.

Agreed ... I laugh at the idea that the Orioles are very interested. I hope Gammons is dead wrong on this one.

Archived