Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Breaking News: The Orioles are being aggressive.

In other news: Cashman boarding a plane heading west to meet with Cliff Lee and his family.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104060

But yeah, Dip is just a pessimistic jerk! Got it. :rolleyes:

Right...We make a few phone call and perhaps show some sort of interest...The Yankees fly down to Arkansas and meet with Lee face to face.

Do people not see the difference there?

Say what you want about the Yanks competitive advantage but they also go after what they want and meet with the players face to face. They don't make some bs cursory phone calls and let the market set itself.

Right...We make a few phone call and perhaps show some sort of interest...The Yankees fly down to Arkansas and meet with Lee face to face.

Say what you want about the Yanks competitive advantage but they also go after what they want and meet with the players face to face. They don't make some bs cursory phone calls and let the market set itself.

I don't shop at certain stores because I know I can't afford them.

Agrred ....But something really needs to be done about that. Its easy to do the things they do when money is no object.

Breaking News: The Orioles are being aggressive.

In other news: Cashman boarding a plane heading west to meet with Cliff Lee and his family.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104060

But yeah, Dip is just a pessimistic jerk! Got it. :rolleyes:

Yankees and Rangers have been the favorites to land Lee since God was a small child, but a deal won't get done anytime soon, regardless. The Orioles haven't been, and shouldn't be, in that particular equation. Plenty of reasons to get on the Orioles' (and AM's) case, but this probably isn't one of them.

Agrred ....But something really needs to be done about that. Its easy to do the things they do when money is no object.

This isn't about money...This about showing a player that you want them.

A lot of people got on Jtrea about the whining and dining stuff..However, it would be foolish to think that players don't look for that. Baseball players, like anyone else, want that feeling of being wanted.

There are ways of doing things...Go after what you want.

Funny story along the same lines: this morning, I'm commuting to work, and Dibble is talking about how if he were Cashman, he'd take Posada out to the nicest restaurant in NYC to discuss Jorge's future role on the team and cutting back his time behind the plate - all while running up a nice tab on the Yankees - because JP is a vet and deserves that kind of treatment. His next sentence was, "If it were with the Orioles, I'd probably take him to Chipotle because it would be on my dime, or I'd have to submit an expense report."

Obviously, he was making a joke, but that still tells you what the baseball community thinks about the state of our organization. If you (or any of us) think that that perception is going to land us a premium (**sigh**) free agent, think again.

IMO, if we sign Damon, especially at the expense of Scott, Pie, or Reimold, MacPhail should be fired.

But neither of these guys have ever done anything, despite the GOLDEN opportunities that have been handed to them on a platter.

I like them as prospects, but I think I like the idea of them more than I really like the players that they are most likely going to be.

Yankees and Rangers have been the favorites to land Lee since God was a small child, but a deal won't get done anytime soon, regardless. The Orioles haven't been, and shouldn't be, in that particular equation. Plenty of reasons to get on the Orioles' (and AM's) case, but this probably isn't one of them.
What does this have to do with anything? I am not talking about them meeting with Lee..I am talking about meeting with anyone in general.

This!

SG and I are not neccessarily advocating the Orioles trying to sign Lee. My point is that when the Yankees want something, they throw their resources and energy and focus into accomplishing that goal. When the Orioles have interest, they send a text message to the agent saying ..."we like you, do you like us? Check yes or no?"

This article makes me think about Buck Showalter and why he chose the Orioles over a lot of other good teams with managerial openings. Something convinced him to take this job and being aggressive this off season has to be one of those reasons. What that ends up meaning... I dont know. But Andy McPhail needs to stick with his promises to Buck....

We shall see.

What does this have to do with anything? I am not talking about them meeting with Lee..I am talking about meeting with anyone in general.

You can't say it doesn't have anything to do with anything....I was focused more on Lee and the MFY going to meet face to face. I agree AM needs to do more than what he does. I'm just saying there is no need to waste time and effort on a player you know you won't be getting. regarding Lee....but I agree I want to see more action.

I still think Crawford isn't an impossibility. HE is the guy I'd like for AM and Buck to get on a plane and go meet face to face....they can afford to shop in that store. Will their check out price be more than other teams. yep. Should it matter for Crawford? Nope. get him and it frees up Pie for trade bait.

You can't say it doesn't have anything to do with anything....I was focused more on Lee and the MFY going to meet face to face. I agree AM needs to do more than what he does. I'm just saying there is no need to waste time and effort on a player you know you won't be getting. regarding Lee....but I agree I want to see more action.

I still think Crawford isn't an impossibility. HE is the guy I'd like for AM and Buck to get on a plane and go meet face to face....they can afford to shop in that store. Will their check out price be more than other teams. yep. Should it matter for Crawford? Nope. get him and it frees up Pie for trade bait.

I definitely agree about your thoughts on Crawford. He's the player I'd break the bank for.

This!

SG and I are not neccessarily advocating the Orioles trying to sign Lee. My point is that when the Yankees want something, they throw their resources and energy and focus into accomplishing that goal. When the Orioles have interest, they send a text message to the agent saying ..."we like you, do you like us? Check yes or no?"

You don't think there's a potential difference between pursuing the marquee FA at a given position and pursuing guys whose markets are going to be defined by said FA?

The Orioles aren't going to wine/dine anyone into signing...they're going to have to throw the most money at XYZ player once XYZ player's market is established. And that hasn't happened yet.

Archived