Heyman: Orioles being aggressive

Moose Milligan

The OP states that the Orioles are being aggressive, which is stated to be out of character.

Then everyone declares they will believe it when they see it. Most of MacPhails acquisitions have come with little build up. That is fact. Yet people get bent out of shape when there is a puff piece about the Yankees flying to Arkansas. They want an article to state that about the Orioles, when nothing like that has been printed under MacPhail.

Let me be clear about this...When Heyman says nothing, good or bad about the team, you believe it, correct?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moreover, something that just struck me...

...if the Orioles went out and signed Dunn tomorrow for something like 4/64 or higher, I'd wager that you'd be all over the boards about how the contract is terrible.

Classic no-win...IMO, unless the Orioles do precisely what you want/acquire who you want, you're not going to be satisfied. This aggressiveness stance is directionless venting.

Yes, i would be upset by it because that is an idiotic contract that we will regret.

But I would respect the fact that they identified what they wanted, were aggressive about it and got it done.

I am looking more at the trade market this offseason.

Do you guys think AM has been aggressive calling up teams about players he wants?

(of course, this assumes that there are guys he wants via trades)

This is a subjective question with no evidence to back up either side.

I am inclined to say he has been aggressive, at least identifying targets and laying the ground work.

This is a subjective question with no evidence to back up either side.

I am inclined to say he has been aggressive, at least identifying targets and laying the ground work.

I am aware...Just asking what you guys think, that's all.

Also, you didn't answer me..Do you always believe Heyman?

Based on the tier of FAs BAL is likely to be approaching, I tend to agree with Frobby. However, I think SG is correct that BAL under MacPhail has been incredible passive and reactive in the off-season. That's good for finding deals and bargains, but it would also be nice to see a proactive plan put into motion. I think the end of November/beginning of December is a reasonable time to expect some aggressive moves. I don't expect it, but it would be nice to see.

I basically agree. I'm just reluctant to put an artificial deadline on it like end Nov/beginning of Dec. I don't care what we do in Nov or Dec. I'm more concerned with the offseason as a whole (as I'm sure everyone else is). If no free agents have signed and no trades have been made by the end of the month for the league as a whole, i'm not going to be particularly concerned because it will indicate that the market is still being established. If on the other hand, other teams have filled holes, I'll be concerned that we do not have a clear plan in place.

My hunch is this will be a slow market. Some teams may be hesitant on trading if they think they can fill a hole via free agency and free agents may be slightly slower to sign as teams try to estimate the impact of the economy on the market. No one wants to overpay. Obviously, i could be wrong and Lee, Crawford and Werth could be off the board in a week.

Archived