Manny Machado is the #1 prospect

Tony-OH

Interesting, that would seem to be a place where hay can be made then. How hard would it be to create a centralized secure database where such information could be stored, analyzed and accessed?

I remember AM talking about doing some sort of database work earlier this year, I wonder if it was something like this.

I know of two clubs that do this -- one across the entire scouting department (including international) and one just across the MiL scouting reports.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that the MiL managers file daily reports, but if I were running a MiL organization, those reports would be just a starting point. I would want a daily video digest of every AB by the important prospects, and every pitch thrown by the important pitchers. Even if I didn't have a chance to watch it every day, I would want someone I trusted--probably a MiL coordinator--to review that every day.

Part of it would be simple curiosity; if I were banking on Manny Machado as a future cornerstone of my club, I would want to see for myself how well he is doing, day to day. But there is also oversight I don't care how much you like and trust your MiL staff, set-it-and-forget-it isn't a reasonable approach when there's so much at stake.

A video bank would also be hugely helpful when the time comes to trade for MiL players.

BTW I think that 13 orgs now have Pitchf/x setups at the home parks of their AAA affiliates, just for the value in collecting data.

A number of scouting departments equip their scout w/HD cameras. I know of one for sure in the AL East.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The committee isn’t very good.
    • The craziest thing is I don't normally yell during games because I can just type out my frustrations here. But without it, my expletive laced shouting at McKenna for making such an off line throw, knowing Santander would have most likely made a better throw just annoyed me to know end.  That's the second time McKenna as a defensive replacement has not worked.
    • Like I said, I welcome Hays back here. I think his upside from the right side is needed. That being said, it’s going to be a really interesting decision if he continues to suck for a while.    The Astros sent down Abreu, who has been a far better hitter in his career, because of his suckitude. 
    • Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. 
    • 1.  Kimbrel was dominant the first 2 weeks of the season. 2. His fastball sat around 93 but his command was plus with both his fastball and his curve. 3. He’s throwing 95 now but with little command. 4. I have no idea what the problem is 5. Neither do you. 6. Is Kimbrel available to be interviewed by the media?   I haven’t seen one comment from him in the last two weeks, maybe longer.  Maybe never.
    • He threw a pretty stiff punch at the mound last night. That’s about it. He probably needs the Ubaldo pot hole treatment. There’s not enough consistent low leverage innings going around at the mlb level. Although, I don’t know what a stint in the minors would do other than sharpen his command. He can’t get by with the FB on anywhere near FB counts, and he can’t consistently pinpoint the curve for strikes. Batters are just laying off then teeing off on him.  These dudes pitch their whole life’s so I wouldn’t be surprised if Kimbrel adjusts and incorporates more of a two seamer or cutter. He’s a pro. He’s got to make pro adjustments. 
    • What do you consider late in the season?   Last September he had a 1.50 ERA.  In 12 IP he had 6 walks and 18 strikeouts.
  • Popular Contributors