What is Hobgood up to?

NickStckMattBat

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Sun:

You’ll also be happy to know that Tillman has been extremely impressed by the work ethic shown by Hobgood, whose conditioning was very much an issue this past season. Tillman said Hobgood does conditioning work both before and after the workouts. “That kid is so strong,” Tillman said.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/12/before_the_meetings_begin_stuf.html

I spoke the other day to Chris Tillman, who has been the subject of many trade rumors this offseason. Tillman doesn’t pay much attention to any of it, but he did say that he strongly wants to remain on the Orioles and redeem himself following his difficult 2010 season.

To that end, Tillman has been working out daily at the Athletes’ Performance in California. Other players training there include the Philadelphia Phillies’ Chase Utley and the Seattle Mariners’ Milton Bradley, and Tillman’s workout group includes teammate and best friend Brian Matusz, Orioles’ 2009 first-round pick Matt Hobgood and Toronto Blue Jays’ ace lefty Ricky Romero.

“My whole body feels different,” said Tillman, who is trying to add upper body strength. “It feels really good.”

Tillman, who communicates with Orioles’ strength and conditioning coach Joe Hogarty, said that this is really the first time in his life that he’s been on a strict lifting regime. Asked if it’s been tough to stay motivated, Tillman said, “After last season, are you kidding me?”

Tillman, 22, went 2-5 with a 5.87 ERA in 11 starts with the Orioles after going 11-7 with a 3.34 ERA in 21 starts at Triple-A Norfolk.

You’ll also be happy to know that Tillman has been extremely impressed by the work ethic shown by Hobgood, whose conditioning was very much an issue this past season. Tillman said Hobgood does conditioning work both before and after the workouts. “That kid is so strong,” Tillman said.

Chris Tillman talks about him at the end of this.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/12/before_the_meetings_begin_stuf.html

I think some folks here are too caught up in a number. For me, the question is, "is he in shape or not in shape?" With "in shape" meaning in shape to pitch. Hobgood has the strength. Does he need to lose a few lbs? Probably, but how many is a few is debatable. But the biggest deal is athleticism and flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2010/12/dave-schmidt-talks-about-hobgoods-fastball.html

"I see some potential. Obviously, we have not seen the raw physical, that part of it. I have seen some intangibles of work ethic and some things during the year that he is pretty determined. I see a certain maturity for a young kid,Schmidt said. "I am certainly hopeful. I think he does have potential and he's a competitor. When a competitor gets knocked down, they go about getting back to work. That's what we expect and will see.

"We can't sugarcoat it. We haven't seen the fastball velocity or the break on the curveball - no, we haven't seen that. But I have seen other things that lead me to believe that he is going to get that back. That, together with some things I have seen mentally and competitor-wise. I think when he puts that whole package together, we'll see the real guy that we drafted. I'm still in a positive frame of mind about Matt and I'm rooting hard for him."

Well as much as I would prefer Manny to be a little more mature than that, remember, he is just a kid. Hopefully he will do some growing up here soon. I think the maturity level of most kids this age is basically what you would expect from most highschoolers. The social netwoking of the past few years has just made it more visible to the rest of us.

That's an odd quote from Schmidt. It pretty much belies the idea that Hobgood has a poor work ethic and confirms the good stuff Jordan said about him when he was drafted. But what's with his lack of velocity and bite on his breaking stuff? It just seems very strange that he's lost what he had in high school.

That's an odd quote from Schmidt. It pretty much belies the idea that Hobgood has a poor work ethic and confirms the good stuff Jordan said about him when he was drafted. But what's with his lack of velocity and bite on his breaking stuff? It just seems very strange that he's lost what he had in high school.

I guess it is strange, but you see it a lot with prep arms. Now, Hobgood is more extreme than most cases, but he gained weight while losing flexibility and also had his mechanics tampered with. Some may not realize how important flexibility is to a pitcher and his ability to get all moving parts going with good timing. If everything was working just right for him including a 95 MPH FB when he was in tip top shape with maximum flexibility, then you could imagine how he could lose velocity/torque with less flexibility with his muscles not necessarily working together in the same "well tuned" way.

We can't sugarcoat it. We haven't seen the fastball velocity or the break on the curveball - no, we haven't seen that.

I think most of us are smart enough to realize the rest is fluff, and the chances of him living up to his draft position are tiny.

I think most of us are smart enough to realize the rest is fluff, and the chances of him living up to his draft position are tiny.

I wouldn't say they are tiny. I mean, if the weight gain is the true culprit, I can definitely imagine a world where he makes a comeback to his former self. He did show flashes apparently last year, but if he comes to ST in great shape this year and the velo is still down, then I will agee with you, but right now, I am not giving up hope.....

Archived