Bowden: O's have made significant offer to Konerko

section36

Then why are they willing to give up draft picks and spend big money for multiple years on guys who aren't worth it? What other than sexiness of name could justify 4/50 and a punted draft pick for Victor Martinez and Paul Konerko?

These guys just aren't that good! There's not much distance, if any at all, between them and guys who will come cheaper and with less risk.

How do you know they haven't also offered Lee? How do you know that Lee hasn't already told them he has no interest in coming to B'More? Do you really think that AM and BS haven't taken in consideration the loss of a pick when analyzing the signing of these players? Maybe they just see it differently than you.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you know they haven't also offered Lee? How do you know that Lee may have already told them he has no interest in coming to B'More? Do you really think that AM and BS haven't taken in consideration the loss of a pick when analyzing the signing of these players? Maybe they just see it differently than you.

I don't know that and my point was that I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. The offer given to Martinez was too much, too early, either way, and if they have truly made a "significant" offer to Konerko, it's likely a bad decision as well.

Re: the bold, I don't doubt that they do. I don't doubt that this organization doesn't properly value draft picks or risk/reward. Their track record supports that idea.

I don't know that and my point was that I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. The offer given to Martinez was too much, too early, either way, and if they have truly made a "significant" offer to Konerko, it's likely a bad decision as well.

Re: the bold, I don't doubt that they do. I don't doubt that this organization doesn't properly value draft picks or risk/reward. Their track record supports that idea.

The bottom line, IMO, is we need a big bat and he should be right handed. If we can hold onto our second round pick -- great. But, if not, so be it. I think it would be far worse to go into next season without the big bat, then lose a second round pick.

The bottom line, IMO, is we need a big bat and he should be right handed. If we can hold onto our second round pick -- great. But, if not, so be it. I think it would be far worse to go into next season without the big bat, then lose a second round pick.

Is Konerko really a big bat? I mean, I guess he is but I don't think he can be classified a big bat anymore than Scott right now.

Give me Lee, the pick and a boatload of money..Just makes more sense for us.

If you watched Derrek Lee in the second half, after things with his thumb seemed to be getting better, I think you would have seen a fairly re-invigorated player. I think he's got plenty left in the tank, and his defense and athleticism give him a higher floor than that of Konerko.

Still, if you're basically arguing that they are similarly valuable, why would you justify giving up the second round pick and committing to the age 37 and possibly 38 season for Konerko when you could Lee without any of those drawbacks?

To me, Konerko shouldn't even be considered until/unless Lee comes off the board. If they sign Konerko while Lee is still available, I'll be very upset.

If I'm off base let me know, but looking at the stats they're very similar players, so it all depends on the deal.

Normalizing their stats from 06-10 and factoring in age and a change to the AL East, I would offer these:

Prediction for normal year

Lee: 20hr, 90 rbi, .285 .365

Konerko: 30hr, 100 rbi, .280 .350

Prediction for bad year

Lee: 15hr, 70 rbi, .250 .335

Konerko: 22hr, 70 rbi, .240, .345

All things being equal I would prefer Konerko. Even with the draft pick I prefer Konerko. If Konerko wants more than a couple years, I prefer Lee.

They're both good options. But I would say it's a pretty safe bet that Konerko will put up my normal year prediction next year, and probably in 2012. anything after that is a question mark.

But I can't say the same for Lee. To me he is right now the question mark Konerko will be in a couple years. He had a good quarter year in Atlanta, but he had a horrible year in Chicago, where he showed he was slowing in just about every aspect of his game.

If Lee can keep the form he showed in Atlanta and is willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal, he would be an absolute steal, if he goes back to the horrible approach in Chicago, he's another stop-gap that didn't work out.

Now, if Konerko is priced out or looking for anything over 2- or 3-with-options years I would have to lean towards Lee.

Essentially I would guess they're offering what they think Konerko is worth/what they can afford. If he doesn't take it I bet they make a big one-year offer to Lee with a reachable mutual option for 2012.

If I'm off base let me know, but looking at the stats they're very similar players, so it all depends on the deal.

Normalizing their stats from 06-10 and factoring in age and a change to the AL East, I would offer these:

Prediction for normal year

Lee: 20hr, 90 rbi, .285 .365

Konerko: 30hr, 100 rbi, .280 .350

Prediction for bad year

Lee: 15hr, 70 rbi, .250 .335

Konerko: 22hr, 70 rbi, .240, .345

All things being equal I would prefer Konerko. Even with the draft pick I prefer Konerko. If Konerko wants more than a couple years, I prefer Lee.

They're both good options. But I would say it's a pretty safe bet that Konerko will put up my normal year prediction next year, and probably in 2012. anything after that is a question mark.

But I can't say the same for Lee. To me he is right now the question mark Konerko will be in a couple years. He had a good quarter year in Atlanta, but he had a horrible year in Chicago, where he showed he was slowing in just about every aspect of his game.

If Lee can keep the form he showed in Atlanta and is willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal, he would be an absolute steal, if he goes back to the horrible approach in Chicago, he's another stop-gap that didn't work out.

Now, if Konerko is priced out or looking for anything over 2- or 3-with-options years I would have to lean towards Lee.

Essentially I would guess they're offering what they think Konerko is worth/what they can afford. If he doesn't take it I bet they make a big one-year offer to Lee with a reachable mutual option for 2012.

How did you do this?

Is Konerko really a big bat? I mean, I guess he is but I don't think he can be classified a big bat anymore than Scott right now.

Most Similar by Ages View Similar Player Links in Pop-upHold mouse over #'s to see names 23. John Mayberry (962)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 24. Alvin Davis (971)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 25. Billy Williams (948) * 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 26. Alvin Davis (951)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 27. Justin Morneau (958)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 28. Justin Morneau (958)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 29. Kent Hrbek (946)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 30. Kent Hrbek (956)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 31. Kent Hrbek (952)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 32. Kent Hrbek (949)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 33. Kent Hrbek (946)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C 34. Fred McGriff (936)  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 C
View Similar Player Links in Pop-upCompare Stats to Similars  1. Joe Adcock (921)  2. Tino Martinez (916)  3. Derrek Lee (916)  4. Norm Cash (909)  5. Rocky Colavito (906)  6. Kent Hrbek (903)  7. Frank Howard (902)  8. Greg Luzinski (900)  9. Gil Hodges (899) 10. Carlos Lee (896)Similar Batters through 34 View Similar Player Links in Pop-upCompare Stats to Similars  1. Fred McGriff (936)  2. Derrek Lee (916)  3. Rocky Colavito (906)  4. Kent Hrbek (903)  5. Carlos Lee (896)  6. Gil Hodges (894)  7. Boog Powell (893)  8. David Ortiz (890)  9. Orlando Cepeda (882) * 10. Rafael Palmeiro (878)

You think Lee is a bat though? IMO Konerko and Lee are old and medeocre. Signing Konerko would be like signing Javy Lopez again a guy with a big year that gets paid. Konerko is only going to go backwards and Lee isn't going to get better especially in the AL East. Dunn would be the guy to get and offer a contract to even though he is LH he can hit balls to the moon, what the O's need in a player

Konerko and Luke are close, although I think Konerko is a little more of a threat. The bigger issue is that he is right handed. We have Luke, Nick and Wieters seems to have more power from the left side. I think the O's believe that they need to add power from the right side, and I think their right.

Regarding Lee over Konerko, as I've said before, I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is not adding any right handed power. Give me Lee/Konerko, Reynolds and an upgrade at SS, and I'm happy.

How did you do this?

Nothing scientific. Remove the injury years (Lee 06, Konerko 08) and you'll be right around those numbers from 06-on. Take a look at HR for instance and you'll see most Lee years are right around 20 HR. He had a 35-hr year, but Lee had a very good year all around and you simply can't rely on him repeating it. Konerko regained his 04-05 form last year, but I don't expect him to duplicate it this year. From 06-09 he pretty much posted a 30-hr pace (22 in a year he played 120 games was the low).

Lee's bad year hr prediction came from the fact that he hit 3 HR in 39 games for the Braves. In essence, he improved everything but his power still took a dip. He hit a decent amount -16- of HR in Chicago last year, and I think if he has a bad year his power will go away -eg a down-tick from his typical 20 or so.

But like I said, they're pretty much the same player stat wise, it comes down to how much DLee has in the tank. If he has a bounce-back year he's a very good move.

Nothing scientific. Remove the injury years (Lee 06, Konerko 08) and you'll be right around those numbers from 06-on. Take a look at HR for instance and you'll see most Lee years are right around 20 HR. He had a 35-hr year, but Lee had a very good year all around and you simply can't rely on him repeating it. Konerko regained his 04-05 form last year, but I don't expect him to duplicate it this year. From 06-09 he pretty much posted a 30-hr pace (22 in a year he played 120 games was the low).

Lee's bad year hr prediction came from the fact that he hit 3 HR in 39 games for the Braves. In essence, he improved everything but his power still took a dip. He hit a decent amount -16- of HR in Chicago last year, and I think if he has a bad year his power will go away -eg a down-tick from his typical 20 or so.

But like I said, they're pretty much the same player stat wise, it comes down to how much DLee has in the tank. If he has a bounce-back year he's a very good move.

There is no evidence that he has less in the tank than Konerko.

Konerko will gladly DH when we aquire a better First Baseman in a year or two.

Is he someone who we want to DH though? I mean, Corey Patterson was DH a game or two, I'm sure he'd do it if we paid him.

I'm not against Konerko, but I wouldn't expect too much out of the signing. I'd rather keep the pick.

Archived