Orioles Payroll is a Slap in the Face to Fans

CharmCityCrab

I saw a November 25th blog post from the Baltimore Sun posted in another thread on another topic, and didn't want to derail that thread with the tangent I'm about to go off on.

Here's the relevant excerpt:

A recent Baltimore Sun article projected the Orioles' current payroll for 2010 at about 45 million dollars. That is looking at players already signed for next season and projecting arbitration-eligible players and other contract renewals.

$45 million dollars is an insult. Even after the Reynolds trade, we're maybe talking $50 million. That's an insult. That would have been an insult 15 years ago, today is absolutely ridiculous.

Didn't I read an article in the last year or so that said that the Orioles revenue from MASN alone is like $40 million a year? Never mind ticket sales, radio rights, merchandise sales, concessions, parking, etc..

If you (Angelos) refuse to spend enough to field a competitive team with the Yankees or the Red Sox, you need to sell to someone who will. Sports franchises are public trusts, and aren't supposed to be run on the cheap as revenue generators without regard to wins and loses.

This is all the more frustrating because it does have to do with professional sports. If Coca-Cola were to double their prices or start producing an inferior product, people could switch to the Pepsi or RC Cola or whatever. But with sports, your team is your team. It's a loyalty issue by tradition and culture, so fans are kind of stuck with whatever some jerk owner wants to do.

What baseball really needs is a hard salary cap and a hard salary floor -- not only to adjust for revenue disparities, but also to ensure that all owners spend roughly the same amount to avoid situations like what's going on in Baltimore right now. After losing a World Series in '94, the owners should have just dug in their heels until the end of time if necessary to get that salary cap (And, yes, I did say so at the time, if I recall correctly).

Barring that, though, Angelos should spend or sell. Stop inflicting this stuff on the loyal fans of Baltimore.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw a November 25th blog post from the Baltimore Sun posted in another thread on another topic, and didn't want to derail that thread with the tangent I'm about to go off on.

$45 million dollars is an insult. Even after the Reynolds trade, we're maybe talking $50 million. That's an insult. That would have been an insult 15 years ago, today is absolutely ridiculous.

Didn't I read an article in the last year or so that said that the Orioles revenue from MASN alone is like $40 million a year? Never mind ticket sales, radio rights, merchandise sales, concessions, parking, etc..

If you (Angelos) refuse to spend enough to field a competitive team with the Yankees or the Red Sox, you need to sell to someone who will. Sports franchises are public trusts, and aren't supposed to be run on the cheap as revenue generators without regard to wins and loses.

This is all the more frustrating because it does have to do with professional sports. If Coca-Cola were to double their prices or start producing an inferior product, people could switch to the Pepsi or RC Cola or whatever. But with sports, your team is your team. It's a loyalty issue by tradition and culture, so fans are kind of stuck with whatever some jerk owner wants to do.

What baseball really needs is a hard salary cap and a hard salary floor -- not only to adjust for revenue disparities, but also to ensure that all owners spend roughly the same amount to avoid situations like what's going on in Baltimore right now. After losing a World Series in '94, the owners should have just dug in their heels until the end of time if necessary to get that salary cap (And, yes, I did say so at the time, if I recall correctly).

Barring that, though, Angelos should spend or sell. Stop inflicting this stuff on the loyal fans of Baltimore.

:bangwall:

I hope you realize that that article was from November 2009. And your quote clearly states that that was looking at 2010, before we added Millwood, Gonzalez, Atkins, and Tejada.

EDIT: Added more :bangwall:

I'd rather have a payroll of 45 million then give a guy like Werth 120 million. Its about how you use the money, not how much you spend. Look at the Mets high payroll, bad record. Then there is a team like Tampa, low payroll, successful squad. You can't just throw money away.

Well spoken. The other point is the team is not ready to contend. With the moves they made they have put themselves in a position to take on significant contracts when it is time.

You are absolutely correct about the hard salary cap!

Baseball would be much better with it.

As long as Dud Selig is impersonating as the comish it will never happen.

It will take some brass ones to get it done and he has anything but.

Guys like PA and Loria, etc., don't want it. They are making too much $$$$$$.

Skanks and Sux would never go for it.

Butt, it would be the best thing to happen to baseball in the past 30 years!

C Wieters (400K)

1B LaRoche/Lee (8m) *PROJECTED*

2B Roberts (10m)

3B Reynolds (5m)

SS Hardy (6m)

LF Pie (700K)

CF Jones (3m)

RF Markakis (10.6m)

DH Scott (6.5m)

C/CI Fox (400K)

C Izturis (1.5m)

MI Harris (1.75m)

OF Reimold (400K)

Hitters: 46.25m (Including $8m for LaRoche/Lee: 54.25)

SP Guthrie (5.5m)

SP Matusz (1.4m)

SP Bergesen (400K)

SP Arrieta (400K)

SP Tillman/Britton (400K)

RP Simon (400K)

RP Berken (400K)

RP Patton (400K)

RP Johnson (600K)

RP Vanden Hurk (400K)

RP Uehara (5m)

RP Gonzalez (6m)

Pitchers: 21.3m

Roster Total: 66.45 (including $8m for LaRoche/Lee: 74.45)

Buyouts:

Hendrickson (200K)

Atkins (500K)

Received $500K from Twins

2011 Projected Payroll: $66,650,000 (including $8m for LaRoche/Lee: $74,650,000)

2010 Actual Payroll: $73,812,500

Add to this the fact that the Orioles have allegedly offered Kevin Gregg $8-10m for two years.

Check out Cot's if you seek any more information on salaries.

I'm shocked people are finding ways to bash this team. After what they did this past week and the money made through the trades, I'm giving them a lot of rope now. AM impressed me this week.

Clearly you don't read WNST's twitter feed. :P

And no, I'm not suggesting you start.

I'm shocked people are finding ways to bash this team. After what they did this past week and the money made through the trades, I'm giving them a lot of rope now. AM impressed me this week.

Yeah, there are about 5 or so that are clueless. They refuse to acknowledge anything positive, and/or cite articles written over a year ago, like this guy.

Archived