Orioles Payroll is a Slap in the Face to Fans

CharmCityCrab

I haven't done the exercise in a few years, but if you go back to 1994, something like 70% of the playoff teams are in the top third of payroll, 25% are in the middle third, and about 5% in the bottom third....so yes, money does generally equal talent.

Hey hey don't let the facts get in the way now......all lies I tell ya!

I mean who would think that money=talent=wins?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey hey don't let the facts get in the way now......all lies I tell ya!

I mean who would think that money=talent=wins?

I guess that's true, since free agency, or trading for players about to go into free agency and extending them, are the absolute only ways to build a team. There's no way where you could build a team from the bottom up and, due to the young players involved not be spending what their actual talent may require. That's just preposterous.

I'm not at all saying it doesn't take money, it does. But it takes more than just money. Ask the Mets.

I'm sure there are countless cases of teams with high payrolls that failed to make the post season. I'm not arguing that. But your odds are significantly higher to make the post season if you are in the top third of the league in payroll, and you have about a 5% chance of making the playoffs if your payroll is in the bottom 3rd.

Archived