Lots of well connected people are saying Edsalls name.

PaulBako

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big disappointment. It's still an upgrade, though slight, in my opinion. Younger/slimmer Ralph who seems, from the outside, to be a better recruiter.

The key now is for Anderson/Plank to surround him with good coordinators. I'm fine with Don Brown staying on, but they need either an expert X's and O's guy or they need to bring in someone in the Locksley mold, if not Locksly himself.

Certainly won't sell more tickets next year.

I hate that you fire a well respected coach because he wouldn't sell box seats. I always thought that winning would aid in selling box seats. I liked Fridge and he deserved to stay, the Terps were one win (The Miami game?) away from really getting a nice bowl game.

I thought Leach could have did really well with recruiting and running the offense. He also would have brought some good coaches with him. Firing Fridge to hire Edsall would make little sense to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5981463

Looks like he is the guy...Not sure why people are against him.

He built UCONN from nothing to a good program. Most people felt he was going to be the Miami coach and that is certainly a better program than MD.

Whether he is better than Leach or not is up in the air...but its not some slam dunk IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5981463

Looks like he is the guy...Not sure why people are against him.

He built UCONN from nothing to a good program. Most people felt he was going to be the Miami coach and that is certainly a better program than MD.

Whether he is better than Leach or not is up in the air...but its not some slam dunk IMO.

Because we didn't fire our ACC coach of the year alum to be good. This is a no buzz hire. He beat one ranked team his whole tenure there.

Because we didn't fire our ACC coach of the year alum to be good. This is a no buzz hire. He beat one ranked team his whole tenure there.

Who cares? The question is, can the guy coach and recruit? If he can, the buzz will come later.

BTW, the Sun is making it sound like this isn't a done deal.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2011/01/maryland_to_name_coach_monday_edsall_to_interview.html

So Maryland backed a truck over the ACC Coach of the Year, an alumnus by the way, to hire Edsall?

I thought you all fired Fridge to "excite the fan base". Is Edsall exciting? Man, what a dumb move by your AD.

Who cares? The question is, can the guy coach and recruit? If he can, the buzz will come later.

BTW, the Sun is making it sound like this isn't a done deal.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2011/01/maryland_to_name_coach_monday_edsall_to_interview.html

They need the "buzz" now. The department is short on revenues and many seats/suites at Byrd sit empty. The name Randy Edsall is not going to fill them. And as a coach, Edsall doesn't look like an upgrade to Friedgen either.

So Maryland backed a truck over the ACC Coach of the Year, an alumnus by the way, to hire Edsall?

I thought you all fired Fridge to "excite the fan base". Is Edsall exciting? Man, what a dumb move by your AD.

Unless you wanted to extend Ralph, he had to be fired. Obviously this is disappointing compared to hiring Leach, but I maintain MD is still better for the long haul with Edsall than if they'd stuck with Fridge after Franklin left.

There is no doubt that ANderson now has left himself wide open to criticism. You fire an alum and reigning COY you better hit a homerun. Edsall isn't a homerun. Anderson's seat just got hot in a hurry.

Yes he has. I really wish I could've been a fly on the wall for a lot of these meetings. Anderson may have been all in on Leach but those above him may have nixed it. Either way, we don't look good after this whole thing and it's going to take 3-5 years to figure out if this was a good hire or not.

The next year could get ugly. I've mentioned before on here that next year's schedule is going to be a lot tougher than last year, so Edsall has his work cut out for him. Anything less than 8-4, at least, and the fanbase will be howling.

Edsall is 74-70 as a coach... How is that better than the Fridge? This is a crappy move. Edsall had a few decent years in a downed league. When Louisville had Petrino and WVU had Rodriguez, Edsall's team was horrible. This is not a good hire.

I'm sorry, that doesn't cut it. The whole idea of getting rid of The Fridge, was to fire a good coach and hire a great one. We took steps back in my opinion. Edsall had some decent RBs. We've had decent RBs. You can't be a great team if you can't beat great coaches, Edsall can't. He barely managed to beat acceptable ones. I live in Louisville, right by the UofL campus. Under Kraigthorpe, the Cardinals would've beaten Edsall if it wasn't for a few blown calls.

We'll need more calls like the fake fair catch TD or it's going to be a long few years until Edsall and Anderson are fired!

Look up fake fair catch UConn on YouTube...

Archived