Lots of well connected people are saying Edsalls name.

PaulBako

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is mostly about what Edsall does' date=' or more accurately doesn't, do in generating interest in the program. Say what you will about valuing style over substance, but I'd be shocked if UM sees a surge in ticket sales over this. And ticket/suite sales matter. And in reference to the Fiesta Bowl, my point wasn't that UConn got blown out. It was merely the style of football UConn plays. It's boring. Contrast that to what Oklahoma does....spread the field, dictate a fast tempo to the defense, and get the ball into the hands of all of your playmakers. That's what we were hoping for at MD next season.[/quote']

I can get behind this argument as to why you would favor Leach over Edsall. I really don't care about MD football and didn't pay a ton of attention to the Fridge stuff but for what I saw, I think he got screwed and if the only reason MD did that is for ticket sales, then I agree that Edsall may not be the best hire for that reason.

What I don't agree with is that Leach is a much better coach.

Pointing to the fact that he won in the Big 12 is great and that is impressive with TT being the third school in that state(and maybe 4th with TCU now) is a good argument...But what it doesn't tell you is that he is better than Edsall. It just tells you that Leach is also a very good hire.

The way i understaood it, Friedgen was let go in the end because he couldn't see Maryland football very well to the public. He couldn't sell out Byrd Stadium, and couldn't get the team into a good Bowl because the fans didn't support his program.

Leach was going to put excitement into the fan base and would have at least intially sparked a huge uptick in ticket sales.

Honestly, I don't know much about Edsell as a person or coach, and he very well may be a great football guy, but by no means does his hire excite me. I was planning on buying season tickets when Leach was named coach. I'll go ahead and keep that money and wait to see how things go.

In my mind, this is a ho-hum choice and typical of a University that is settled on mediocrity when it comes to it's football program.

I can get behind this argument as to why you would favor Leach over Edsall.

What I don't agree with is that Leach is a much better coach.

Pointing to the fact that he won in the Big 12 is great and that is impressive with TT being the third school in that state(and maybe 4th with TCU now) is a good argument...But what it doesn't tell you is that he is better than Edsall. It just tells you that Leach is also a very good hire.

84 and 53 is a hell lot better than 74 and 70. Big 12 south to Big east.

It isn't comparable.

They built some of the best facilities in the country there.

For football? Even if they have, they're still recruiting from an area that doesn't produce talent like other areas do. They have to go down into Maryland and Pennsylvania to recruit into areas that already have traditional schools recruiting there. You're not going to get a top recruiting class up there without a good amount of tradition, consistent winning, national exposure, and outstanding facilities. They were building on those things, certainly.

I get that Edsall doesn't energize the fan base. For me, that wasn't required. I'm fine seeing what Edsall can do with more resources at his disposal. If he doesn't start bringing in recruits, then clearly it was a bad choice. ALL I've been saying is that it's too early to make that judgment yet.

So I'm the one who started the insulting? Sports Guy and J.D. throw out insults but I'm the one who started it because I'm saying the guy isn't a good recruiter and can't win against the GREAT teams, which is the comment that the A.D. made when firing the Fridge.

I don't like this hire. It's garbage. We are at disadvantages when it comes to recruiting too.

I'm sorry if I'm agitated, but I don't like people who can't debate things fairly. They only keep saying "you're not smart enough to know the difference between point A and point B."

We were? I was hoping for wins. Maybe a major bowl appearance. I couldn't give a crap less about how "exciting" the offense looks. If the talent is attracted and the team wins, people will go to the stadium regardless of what offensive style the team's playing.

The Terps won most years under Fridge, and the empty seats tell me the fans wanted more than that. Maybe you weren't among them, by I'm sure I speak for a few people on this board when I say "we" were hoping for a more exciting brand of football at College Park.

So I'm the one who started the insulting? Sports Guy and J.D. throw out insults but I'm the one who started it because I'm saying the guy isn't a good recruiter and can't win against the GREAT teams, which is the comment that the A.D. made when firing the Fridge.

I don't like this hire. It's garbage. We are at disadvantages when it comes to recruiting too.

I'm sorry if I'm agitated, but I don't like people who can't debate things fairly. They only keep saying "you're not smart enough to know the difference between point A and point B."

Show. Me. Where. I. Called. You. Stupid.

The fact is: Edsall isn't a GREAT Coach. We can't bring up GREAT teams who he can't beat, because we're too stupid to know the difference.

The difference is: They're great teams and UConn isn't.

And when you're making a choice between hiring Leach and Edsall, I think it's perfectly fine to debate their record, their conference and all, but apparantly, I'm too stupid to know that's not what should be debated.

The Terps won most years under Fridge' date=' and the empty seats tell me the fans wanted more than that. Maybe you weren't among them, by I'm sure I speak for a few people on this board when I say "we" were hoping for a more exciting brand of football at College Park.[/quote']

All I'm saying is that, if Edsall can keep the better local talent here and keep building on the foundation that's here, then wins and excitement will come with it. If Edsall can't get this team to championship games and major bowls, then sure. But Maryland hasn't played in an ACC Championship game yet. That's the next hump that has to be cleared. I don't know if Edsall is the guy to take them there, but I'm very certain that Fridge wasn't.

A more exciting brand of football would've been nice. I won't disagree there. But if the Terps are playing for Conference Championships and Orange Bowl bids under Edsall, I don't think I'm going to mourn the loss of the air raid offense.

Show. Me. Where. I. Called. You. Stupid.

I think you need to re-read yourself, otherwise don't talk to me dude. You want to debate the hire, fine, but you want to insinuate other people are less intelligent than you, then don't say anything to me.

I've tried to debate why this is a horrible hire, in my opinion, and you've thrown out personal attacks, you and SG, you can both get bent, together, imo.

I think you need to re-read yourself, otherwise don't talk to me dude. You want to debate the hire, fine, but you want to insinuate other people are less intelligent than you, then don't say anything to me.

I've tried to debate why this is a horrible hire, in my opinion, and you've thrown out personal attacks, you and SG, you can both get bent, together, imo.

Right, you can't show me where I did that because I didn't. Thanks for clearing that up.

Archived