Current team/payroll figures

Sports Guy

2010 includes Lugo's $9+ million dollars, with the Orioles only on the hook for $400K and Millwood at $12M, with the Orioles only on the hook for $9M

EDIT: and what's the story with Matusz? Cot's also has his salary over $1M on their 2010 spreadsheet. It was my understanding that his 'salary' is ~$400K and that the 7 digit number comes from his bonus averaged over 4 years???

You are correct, that reference is way off.

Regarding Matusz, as was explained to me by Jeff at COTS, while the signing bonus was technically paid upfront, his bonus is evenly split up across his contract for luxury tax purposes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Captain Obvious...Where I have said anything different? My point was that because they have wasted resources over the years, we have put poor teams on the field and are not able to generate the resources we should have...resources that would be there if we were winning. Since that has happened, the Orioles can only afford to pay so much on their payroll for 2011. That should be obvious to anyone. Start to win, bring the fans back, profits go up and payroll should go up. All of this is common sense.

Just because you think the Orioles have the resources doesn't mean they do. They should have them and the potential is there for them to be there but they aren't there now. PA wants to win by doing as little as he can.

You and your personal insults...it speaks volumes. It really isn't needed...but regardless. Carry on.

No offense but you are a moron. I have never even remotely hinted at this..You just can't comprehend simple thoughts.

I have consistently said that PA is the #1 problem with this organization and has been for a while.

I love when people think saying "no offense" gives them free reign to say anything they want. It doesn't negate calling someone a moron. Stick to the topic at hand and lay off the personal attacks.

Yea, when I did that, i hadn't realized Pie was up for arbtiration. Just didn't pay much attention there.

Jones got too much IMO.

I agree with the Jones comment.

I have a feeling Guthrie will get more then you estimated, Scott may get a little more, and Hardy may get a little less.

Jones got too much IMO.

Having looked at the comps, and recognizing that Jones barely missed Super-2 status last year (he has 3.139 years of service now), I don't think his salary is way out of line.

- Curtis Granderson signed an extension when he had 2.077 years of service time. He received $1 mm in the year before he would have been arbitration-eligible, $3.5 mm in the first year that he would have been arbitration eligible.

- Alex Rios earned $2.5 mm as a Super-2, then signed a deal for $4.8 mm the next year before negotiating an extension that superceded that contract.

- Denard Span is scheduled to make $3 mm in 2012, when he'll have 3.111 years of service.

- Delmon Young made $2.65 mm last year, with 3.034 years of service.

- B.J. Upton made $3 mm last year after losing in arbitration, with 3.126 years of service.

- Franklin Gutierrez got a signing bonus of $1.25 mm and a salary of $2 mm last year, when he had 3.080 years of service.

- Matt Kemp made $4 mm last year with 3.049 years of service.

I have a feeling Guthrie will get more then you estimated, Scott may get a little more, and Hardy may get a little less.

I have a feeling that the negotiations with Guthrie and Scott are going to be difficult. They are exchanging figures this evening.

Archived