Four reason why Schoop didn't lose the game!

BradyBunch

Here is the play again..

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_04_20_balmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=video&c_id=bal

1) The throw was off the line. It tailed towards pitchers mound as it hit the infield. So massively bad throw.

2) For Schoop to catch it, no way he get Pedroia at 3rd. None. As Schoop is already close to 10ft off 3rd and the ball is tailing way. Pedroia is already head back to 3rd.

3) Flaherty is out of position. His job as SS is to be at 3rd to cover it. He wasn't there. He just stopped in the base patch and watched the ball. So Schoop is caught in a position of having to decide what to do, cover 3rd or cut the ball. That's a recipe for disaster with a Rookie.

3) Wieters while standing at home plate sees the whole play in front of him. It's his job to call for a cut or not. By looking at Schoop's movement, the cut was called off by Wieters. Schoop was in position to catch it and pulled out of catching it. So it's the only logical answer.

Wieters was also out of position. He should have been lined up with Schoop and he was not. He just stood at home plate. If he lined up with Schoop (as is his job) he would have moved to cut that ball off from hitting the "back stop" as it was mere feet from him at home plate which still gave him enough time to get back to home if Pedroia was dumb enough to go home. Thus forcing a run down.

So it was mistakes all around.

Could have Schoop cut that ball off? Of course, but he's not getting Pedroia at 3rd if he does and it looks like he was called off from doing a cut off. Did Flaherty not do his job? Of course. And was Wieters standing out on an island twiddling his thumbs? Absolutely.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flaherty was terrible that inning as well although he did at least get that one out at second, that the umps gave to Boston. AGain, if we had Hardy and Manny playing last night and they could have each gone 0-4, we would have easily taken that game, instead of handing it to Boston on a silver platter, gift wrapped.

Yes a better throw could of been made but your other points don't make any sense. The point of cutting the throw off is to avoid what happened not try to get Pedroia at 3rd. Second Flaherty is at double play depth. There is no way he could race over to 3rd that quickly on a screaming line drive. Wieters job isn't to line up with Schoop, it is Schoop's job to line up with him. The catcher has to protect the plate.

Yes a better throw could of been made but your other points don't make any sense. The point of cutting the throw off is to avoid what happened not try to get Pedroia at 3rd. Second Flaherty is at double play depth. There is no way he could race over to 3rd that quickly on a screaming line drive. Wieters job isn't to line up with Schoop, it is Schoop's job to line up with him. The catcher has to protect the plate.

My points do make sense, you just want to blame Schoop for it all. Despite the fact it's not his fault.

1) If no runner is coming is when you cut that throw off. Pedroia already tagged and was a good 20ft down 3rd. Then stopped and went back as the ball came past Schoop.

2) It's not Schoop's call to cut off the throw. The catcher (Wieters) either calls Cut or No Cut. If Wieters doesn't call for the cut, the ball is let go. End of Story. This is stuff you learn in little league.

3) Weiters job is if the cut isn't called is to go after that ball because the pitcher moves to cover at home. It's why you see catchers up the line catching a ball from time to time.

4) Catchers job is not to protect the plate anymore. Rule change. Weiters has to give runners a part of the plate free and clear. So him standing on home is pointless now.

The pitcher backs up the throw not the catcher. If Wieters goes after the throw then who covers home? Wieters would have to run all the way back to the base. I wasn't talking about literally protecting the plate. The pitchers role is to back up the throw. I am not arguing it was a good throw. That throw was off line by a lot, I am not arguing that point. With that being said it was a cuttable throw.

If you think Pedroia was trying to score there then I don't know what to tell you. He had zero intention of going home. Yes, Wieters could of yelled cut but Schoop saw where the runner was.

The O's weren't at double play depth, they were playing in. Lambo covered 2nd as he should. Flaherty was the only one who sat and watched while the throw was being made.

They were in but that doesn't change the fact there is no way he could of gotten to 3rd.

They were in but that doesn't change the fact there is no way he could of gotten to 3rd.

HE STOPPED. He keeps going Schoop can keep move away from 3rd. What doesn't you understand about baseball defense? If a throw comes from LF it is the job of the 2nd baseman to cover 2nd and SS to cover 3rd while 3B takes a cut off role. If nobody covers 3rd it's a failure of defensive shifting.

HE STOPPED. He keeps going Schoop can keep move away from 3rd. What doesn't you understand about baseball defense? If a throw comes from LF it is the job of the 2nd baseman to cover 2nd and SS to cover 3rd while 3B takes a cut off role. If nobody covers 3rd it's a failure of defensive shifting.

On a screaming line drive you want him to run 50 feet in 3 seconds? He ducked his head so he wouldn't be near the line of the throw. You aren't trying to get an out at 3rd on that play you are trying to keep the runner from scoring. That wasn't a fly ball, it was a screaming line drive. Schoop's job on the play is to be the cutoff man, covering third is irrelevant.

Schoop did not break into the cut off position when the ball was hit. Essentially he was late setting up. He needs to anticipate setting up the cut off on a ball in the air in that situation. Granted, it was a line drive, but looking at the video, it's not Wieters' fault that he did not get into position in time. IMO, this play shows shows Schoop's inexperience at third base.

The pitcher backs up the throw not the catcher. If Wieters goes after the throw then who covers home? Wieters would have to run all the way back to the base. I wasn't talking about literally protecting the plate. The pitchers role is to back up the throw. I am not arguing it was a good throw. That throw was off line by a lot, I am not arguing that point. With that being said it was a cuttable throw.

The throw passed by Weiters, literally just feet from him going thru the home plate area of dirt. He made no call for a cut off so it's his responsibility to get that ball. If the ball goes by Weiters, it's the pitchers job to get it. But Weiters made absolutely no attempt for the ball which is why it went to the back stop.

If Weiters didn't call for a cut, it's not gonna get cut, Period. It's all on the catcher to make that call. Just cause Schoop says, "I should have cut it" doesn't mean he was wrong in letting it go. It means it's a Rookie covering for another player. A Rookie isn't gonna call out a Veteran and if you do, your gonna hear about it.

If you think Pedroia was trying to score there then I don't know what to tell you. He had zero intention of going home. Yes, Wieters could of yelled cut but Schoop saw where the runner was.

I never said Pedroia was trying score, but he forced a throw by tagging and bluffing. But Schoop's back is turned towards Pedroia when Pedroia starts his bluff so Schoop has absolutely no clue he's bluffing and HAS TO assume he's going.

Schoop did not break into the cut off position when the ball was hit. Essentially he was late setting up. He needs to anticipate setting up the cut off on a ball in the air in that situation. Granted, it was a line drive, but looking at the video, it's not Wieters' fault that he did not get into position in time. IMO, this play shows shows Schoop's inexperience at third base.

Schoop has to cover 3rd until Flaherty gets over and make sure the ball is not thrown to 3rd. With the OF playing in, that's a direct from OF to Home throw.. Every day of week and twice on Sunday that throw will not be cut off with out the catcher calling for it.

The throw passed by Weiters, literally just feet from him going thru the home plate area of dirt. He made no call for a cut off so it's his responsibility to get that ball. If the ball goes by Weiters, it's the pitchers job to get it. But Weiters made absolutely no attempt for the ball which is why it went to the back stop.

If Weiters didn't call for a cut, it's not gonna get cut, Period. It's all on the catcher to make that call. Just cause Schoop says, "I should have cut it" doesn't mean he was wrong in letting it go. It means it's a Rookie covering for another player. A Rookie isn't gonna call out a Veteran and if you do, your gonna hear about it.

I never said Pedroia was trying score, but he forced a throw by tagging and bluffing. But Schoop's back is turned towards Pedroia when Pedroia starts his bluff so Schoop has absolutely no clue he's bluffing and HAS TO assume he's going.

I think that you need to look at the video that you posted. Lough's throw hits about 40 feet up the left field line and skips to the left. That is a good 15 to 20 feet to Wieters' left. There is no way that he could have stopped it. Further, while O'day was backing up the play, there was nothing that he could do because the throw was so off line. Schoop was not able to cut the ball because he was late setting up the throw for Wieters. Further, all infielders have the right to cut off dying or off line throws on their own. I'm not blaming Schoop for the loss, but his late set up contributed to Lough's errant throw more than anything else on this play.

On a screaming line drive you want him to run 50 feet in 3 seconds? He ducked his head so he wouldn't be near the line of the throw. You aren't trying to get an out at 3rd on that play you are trying to keep the runner from scoring. That wasn't a fly ball, it was a screaming line drive. Schoop's job on the play is to be the cutoff man, covering third is irrelevant.

Doesn't matter, YOU DON'T stop. Flaherty didn't duck, He kneed down and watched as the throw wasn't coming of SS position but 3rd base. You keep moving in case of a run down.

Schoop's job isn't to be a cut off man when Flaherty is on his knee watching the play and NOT moving towards 3rd. What if Weiters stopped the ball or O'Day got it and nobody was on 3rd and Pedroia was stuck in no man's land. That's why Flaherty has to keep moving.

OF is playing in. Cut offs aren't gonna happen on an assumed play at the plate. It all comes down to Lough's throw.

Archived