Four reason why Schoop didn't lose the game!

BradyBunch

Flaherty could of ran over to 3rd to get into a rundown play. We will never know.

You keep bringing up covering 3rd, your main concern is the run scoring or not, not covering 3rd.

You have to cover 3rd. Lough made a mistake throwing home. Lough could have threw it to 3rd. But Lough decided to throw home.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to cover 3rd. Lough made a mistake throwing home. Lough could have threw it to 3rd. But Lough decided to throw home.

You can't throw behind the runner with the potential winning run attempting to score. You have to throw home. He made a bad throw.

OF was playing in.. It was a OF to home throw.

Then why would Schoop want to be closer to 3rd base then? If Schoop sees the runner then he should cut the throw. You call out Flaherty but let Schoop off the hook. You are not trying to double off the runner there, not important.

I also disagree with where you think O'Day should be. He was in the perfect spot. If the ball gets by Wieters on a normal throw from that angle I think he should be towards the first base side a little. I am enjoying debating you on this though. I love the nuances of the sport.

No you don't. Trying to double off the runner isn't relevant. Lough made a bad throw. If he was trying to go to 3rd I am even more mad about it

No you don't. Trying to double off the runner isn't relevant. Lough made a bad throw. If he was trying to go to 3rd I am even more mad about it

Okay, not cover 3rd and say Matt gets the ball and Pedroia is in no man's land but gets back 3rd. Next hitter loops a single for a win.. Wonder if you'd be *****ing about the miss run down.

Then why would Schoop want to be closer to 3rd base then? If Schoop sees the runner then he should cut the throw. You call out Flaherty but let Schoop off the hook. You are not trying to double off the runner there, not important.

Cause Schoop isn't gonna cut that ball of. Schoop stays at 3rd to cover 3rd in case of a "Cut 3" from Flaherty if Lough threw it to Flaherty (not saying it was likely but possible). Schoop is a rookie who has something less then 50 games (if I remember correctly) total at 3rd over his MiLB and MLB career. It's up to the Weiters to make the call.

I also disagree with where you think O'Day should be. He was in the perfect spot. If the ball gets by Wieters on a normal throw from that angle I think he should be towards the first base side a little. I am enjoying debating you on this though. I love the nuances of the sport.

Umm, He was in a perfect spot? I remember him having run all over gods green earth to get to that ball. :beerchug1:

I played OF positions for 18 years, obviously, little league through college (not that it matters) and have spent another 8 years (that I can remember) of watching these types of plays and 9/10 times (including many of my throws when playing) with plays like that the ball will trail or bounce glove side of thrower. That's cause it's typically "over cooked", either spin because the snap of the wrist is 100% on, not a typical 4 seam grip cause you are doing it blind.. or you aren't 100% on top of the ball. So many things to go wrong. Lough over cooked it and gripped it like a cutter.

But yeah.. baseball what ifs are fun.

Cause Schoop isn't gonna cut that ball of. Schoop stays at 3rd to cover 3rd in case of a "Cut 3" from Flaherty if Lough threw it to Flaherty (not saying it was likely but possible). Schoop is a rookie who has something less then 50 games (if I remember correctly) total at 3rd over his MiLB and MLB career. It's up to the Weiters to make the call.

Umm, He was in a perfect spot? I remember him having run all over gods green earth to get to that ball. :beerchug1:

I played OF positions for 18 years, obviously, little league through college (not that it matters) and have spent another 8 years (that I can remember) of watching these types of plays and 9/10 times (including many of my throws when playing) with plays like that the ball will trail or bounce glove side of thrower. That's cause it's typically "over cooked", either spin because the snap of the wrist is 100% on, not a typical 4 seam grip cause you are doing it blind.. or you aren't 100% on top of the ball. So many things to go wrong. Lough over cooked it and gripped it like a cutter.

But yeah.. baseball what ifs are fun.

Schoop should be in a cut off spot on that throw. He hardly moved on the play. You think Flaherty should of been at 3rd but you have no issue with Schoop being on no man's land. He has to run to the cut off spot and get deeper on the play, he hardly moved from where he was when the ball was hit. He has zero business going to 3rd base on that play. It serves no purpose. The runner isn't going to be doubled off there.

O'Day wasn't near he throw because it was way off line.

I have to disagree. His errant throw had everything to do with Schoops' late set up.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

That is the part that I wonder about but don't know. I don't know if Lough would admit to it or not. Lough has to get up right away and throw, he can't assume the runner is holding. It makes no sense to have a cut 3 play on there. Schoop was not in the proper position at all on the play, I don't think he knew where to be.

I have to disagree. His errant throw had everything to do with Schoops' late set up.

Schoop didn't even make an attempt for the ball. He looked shocked a ball was coming. Just awful. It was def a bad throw by Lough but a worse play by Schoop IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's baseball 101 to hit the cut off man. Loughs' cut off man in this situation was not properly aligned. He was late getting into position. It's also Baseall 101 for an outfielder to throw to a properly aligned cut off man. Had Schoop been in position, Lough may have made a throw that Schoop or Weiters would have been able to handle. You don't air mail a throw to the plate without a cut off man in that situation. Unfortunately, the worst thing occured with the winning run scoring on a line out.

Archived