Four reason why Schoop didn't lose the game!

BradyBunch

The O's weren't at double play depth, they were playing in. Lambo covered 2nd as he should. Flaherty was the only one who sat and watched while the throw was being made.

I think the play there is actually for Flaherty to slowly circle to the bag behind the play and for Schoop to cover third. At least, that's how I've seen that late inning scenario drawn up at the advanced collegiate level. There isn't a spot for a cut because it's such a shallow throw from the outfield and there really isn't adequate time for or utility in the shortstop and third baseman swapping spots. Throw comes into home with catcher charging out to field well in front of home if there is no play and another runner tries to advance. Throw generally comes into home.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't argue who IS at fault, but I'll tell you who isn't....Lough. He threw the ball DIRECTLY at Schoop, which is what outfielders are trained to do. In fact, has Schoop not dodged out of the way (instead of, ya know, catching the ball) it would have probably hit him in the head. The reason the ball was so far off course from home is because Schoop was not in the proper position. He is supposed to be lined up between the outfielder and the catcher, so that he is in position to either cut it, or let it go through to home. Schoop was not in the right position, so when he decided not to catch it and let it go through, the ball was off line.

Like I said, I won't get into who was at fault for letting the ball go through, whether that was Schoop or Wieters, but Lough did exactly as instructed on that play.

I won't argue who IS at fault, but I'll tell you who isn't....Lough. He threw the ball DIRECTLY at Schoop, which is what outfielders are trained to do. In fact, has Schoop not dodged out of the way (instead of, ya know, catching the ball) it would have probably hit him in the head.

I think this illustrates your point nicely.

13948694441_cc01763a23_o.png

I won't argue who IS at fault, but I'll tell you who isn't....Lough. He threw the ball DIRECTLY at Schoop, which is what outfielders are trained to do. In fact, has Schoop not dodged out of the way (instead of, ya know, catching the ball) it would have probably hit him in the head. The reason the ball was so far off course from home is because Schoop was not in the proper position. He is supposed to be lined up between the outfielder and the catcher, so that he is in position to either cut it, or let it go through to home. Schoop was not in the right position, so when he decided not to catch it and let it go through, the ball was off line.

Like I said, I won't get into who was at fault for letting the ball go through, whether that was Schoop or Wieters, but Lough did exactly as instructed on that play.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lough confirmed his throw last night was meant to be cut off. Never should've gotten past Schoop, but he was charged with a throwing error</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesn't matter, YOU DON'T stop. Flaherty didn't duck, He kneed down and watched as the throw wasn't coming of SS position but 3rd base. You keep moving in case of a run down.

Schoop's job isn't to be a cut off man when Flaherty is on his knee watching the play and NOT moving towards 3rd. What if Weiters stopped the ball or O'Day got it and nobody was on 3rd and Pedroia was stuck in no man's land. That's why Flaherty has to keep moving.

OF is playing in. Cut offs aren't gonna happen on an assumed play at the plate. It all comes down to Lough's throw.

What your describing is exactly why you don't have a third baseman unnecessarily run into the shallow infield for a cut, and the shortstop run all the way over to third. Schoop assignment there is to stand on the bag, or at least that's what it should be at this level of ball.

Or he didn't hear over the crowd going absolutely insane.

It never looked to me that Pedey ever tagged up - but Schoop said he thought he had. Machts nichts now but Show asked the umps about it after so they said.

It never looked to me that Pedey ever tagged up - but Schoop said he thought he had. Machts nichts now but Show asked the umps about it after so they said.

I didn't think he had at first, but I'm pretty sure he did. He headed down the line, back to the base for the catch, down the line, back toward the base, and then back to home. The second time back toward 3rd he doesn't tag, but it looks like he did his first time back and it didn't look like he left until after Lough made the catch.

So when in that situation does an OF'er EVER try to make the play at 3B ???

This play was a 100% on Schoop.

Trying to put it Lough is just silly. Yes the throw was not the best and not on line but he did what he was suppose to do.

A lot more can go wrong when an OF does try to get cute at 3B in that situation.

Exactly. Which is why I don't get why Schoop was even thinking there would be a play at 3B ??

So frustrating.

He's there as a backstop -- if the runner falls down or gets too far down the line, you have a chance at a play. He needs to go somewhere, and 3B is the only place where he could have any utility.

He's there as a backstop -- if the runner falls down or gets too far down the line, you have a chance at a play. He needs to go somewhere, and 3B is the only place where he could have any utility.

Seems like he might have had some utility catching that ball that almost took his head off.

Archived