Flash Era Coming to an End?

Shabadoo25

Unless the organization focuses more on options than logic, you have to feel like Ryan is headed out of town soon.

Lombo has outhit him and even though Ryan has more power potential, you can't keep 2 of the same type of guy with a short bench. With Machado back, bringing up a Weeks or Casilla makes even more sense.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless the organization focuses more on options than logic, you have to feel like Ryan is headed out of town soon.

Lombo has outhit him and even though Ryan has more power potential, you can't keep 2 of the same type of guy with a short bench. With Machado back, bringing up a Weeks or Casilla makes even more sense.

Bringing up Weeks or Casilla as the reserve SS and sending Flaherty down makes sense? Weeks doesn't even play SS, and Casilla is not as good a defender as Flaherty. Lombo doesn't play SS either.

Yeah, other than Lombardozzi is hitting better than Flaherty right now none of this makes sense. Also Flaherty has options and i'm not sure about Lombardozzi. So any "options logic" would lean towards sending Flaherty down, not Lombardozzi.

If by out of town you mean go to Norfolk, that's possible. The O's are not trading or releasing Flaherty.

Weeks and Casilla are not close to being recalled. Weeks can't play defense and Casilla can't hit.

The guy to watch is Ivan DeJesus. He hits lefthanded pitching which is something that Schoop, Lombardozzi and Flaherty aren't doing. I am not saying DeJesus gets called up soon but if the O's struggle vs lefties, he is someone to think about.

Lombardozzi plays one position, 2B. He doesn't have the arm for SS/3B. Weeks is a 2B only as well. Buck played Flaherty over Casilla at SS. It makes no sense to replace Flaherty with any of these guys. You'd keep him as the UTIF over all of them

Yeah, other than Lombardozzi is hitting better than Flaherty right now none of this makes sense. Also Flaherty has options and i'm not sure about Lombardozzi. So any "options logic" would lean towards sending Flaherty down, not Lombardozzi.

Lombo has options.

Lombo to AAA, Flash is going nowhere.

Manny returns-Schoop starting 2nd baseman, Flaherty-super utility, Lombo to AAA. Lombo will probably work on other positions at Norfolk.

I feel so strongly about this-I will place a friendly wager with someone on this. No running naked though....:)

Premature thread.

That and Lombo is woefully inadequate anywhere outside of 2B. And even at 2B he's nothing to write home about.

Listen, Lombo is a career 268/300/344 - 643 OPS hitter. Now, granted he's only 25 this year...so maybe he's still improving. But his minor league numbers were nothing to write home about. Over his career he has accrued zippy WAR. Actually negative.

I think, ultimately, Schoop is our long term bet at 2B and Flash will end up being a utility IF/OF option...something like a Ben Zobrist Lite.

Lombo is merely a stop-gap for the O's, IMHO.

We will need a back up at SS for Hardy and his back and at 3B to give Macahado's knee some rest, Flaherty is the perfect fit for that. Schoop as full-time 2B, Flash as utility infielder and some 2B starts against right-handers.

Bench: Clevenger ©, Flaherty (Util), Young (DH/OF), Pearce (DH/OF/1B)

Manny returns-Schoop starting 2nd baseman, Flaherty-super utility, Lombo to AAA. Lombo will probably work on other positions at Norfolk.

I feel so strongly about this-I will place a friendly wager with someone on this. No running naked though....:)

My thoughts are that when Manny returns Schoop goes down to work on his defense and hitting. He's still very raw. His approach at the plate is extremely aggressive and he needs to work on his fundamentals.

I think it's more likely that this our IF (barring injury) when Manny returns:

Machado - 3B

Hardy - SS

Flaherty - 2B

Davis - 1B

Lombardozzi - Utility...mostly at 2B if Flaherty spells Manny, Hardy, or Davis.

Premature thread.

That and Lombo is woefully inadequate anywhere outside of 2B. And even at 2B he's nothing to write home about.

Listen, Lombo is a career 268/300/344 - 643 OPS hitter. Now, granted he's only 25 this year...so maybe he's still improving. But his minor league numbers were nothing to write home about. Over his career he has accrued zippy WAR. Actually negative.

I think, ultimately, Schoop is our long term bet at 2B and Flash will end up being a utility IF/OF option...something like a Ben Zobrist Lite.

Lombo is merely a stop-gap for the O's, IMHO.

I think the O's put Lombo on a Brady program his winter to get stronger. A stronger Lombo could be a weapon.

My thoughts are that when Manny returns Schoop goes down to work on his defense and hitting. He's still very raw. His approach at the plate is extremely aggressive and he needs to work on his fundamentals.

I think it's more likely that this our IF (barring injury) when Manny returns:

Machado - 3B

Hardy - SS

Flaherty - 2B

Davis - 1B

Lombardozzi - Utility...mostly at 2B if Flaherty spells Manny, Hardy, or Davis.

So do we have a "friendly" wager? :scratchchinhmm: :beerchug1:

Archived