Dumbest challenge ever?

O's84

o

Unlike football, managers are never really out of challenges in baseball, even if they officially are.

This is because managers are allowed to ask umpires to "review" a questionable call after they have lost their challenge. And in the 1-plus years that I have been watching baseball with challenges under the current system, I have NEVER seen an umpire deny a manager when he requests a "review" of a call ...... although I finally saw it for the first time when we played the Blue Jays, but I'm giving that a mulligan, and I'll tell you why ......

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons was out of challenges, and he asked for a review. He got it. LATER THAT SAME INNING, he came out and asked for another review. The umpires promptly told the Orioles to stay on the field. They were about to give Gibbons a second review IN THE SAME INNING !!! Only when they realized how egregious this was in regard to managers being out of challenges did they finally tell the Orioles that they could leave the field without them reviewing the call.

So ...... technically, did I FINALLY see a manager denied a "review" when he was out of challenges ??? Yes, technically, they I did finally see it ...... but only because it was the manager's 2nd "review" request of the inning, and only after they initially told the opposing team (the Orioles) to stay on the field until they finally thought better of it.

So in my rat's ass of an opinion, managers essentially are never really out of challenges ...... so there really is not much risk of asking for one, even very early in the game, because you can always get another one by asking for a review.

Archived