The 4-32 meltdown / Final 40-game predictions

Uli2001

It was many years ago on this exact date, Aug 22, that the Orioles got to .500 and then embarked on the infamous late season 4-32 meltdown, which became a symbol of the "dark years."

So what is your prediction for the next 40 games?

It was many years ago on this exact date, Aug 22, that the Orioles got to .500 and then embarked on the infamous late season 4-32 meltdown, which became a symbol of the "dark years."

Do you seriously want to use as your opening premise comparisons to the 2002 team? I get it. Real cute. Throw darts, and pick the worst case scenario.

How about at least using a team managed by Buck Showalter such as the 2010 team? That one went 23-17 in the last 40, after a 32-70 start before Buck arrived. Not enough gloom and doom?

I think anything could happen over 40 games. It's a relatively small sample size. No I don't think it's likely they will go 4-36 or anything like that. I would be happy with 20-20 and a winning record.

But I will say one thing: if Buck S proves capable of turning this mess around and go 25-15 or better, which is what is going to take for the playoffs, then he deserves consideration for manager of the year.

Considering how tough their schedule is the rest of the way, I'll say they'll win 17-19 more games to finish with a record of either 79-83, 80-82 or 81-81. I just don't see this team finishing above .500.

Not finishing above .500 would be really disheartening and a black eye on the DD-Buck S era.

Not finishing above .500 would be really disheartening and a black eye on the DD-Buck S era.

Not really. They still have the best record in the American League over the last four seasons. Now if the Orioles struggle next year as well, that's another story. The hot seat should start warming up for Dan and even Buck if the team doesn't show improvement next year.

Not really. They still have the best record in the American League over the last four seasons. Now if the Orioles struggle next year as well, that's another story. The hot seat should start warming up for Dan and even Buck if the team doesn't show improvement next year.

LOL come on now. The front office blew it this year and I seriously doubt that they will spend the money to bring in any significant free agents in the offseason. Unless they get a little lucky they will be lucky to go .500 next year. DD's bargain bin shopping, platoon players and rule 5 players are not sustainable.

LOL come on now. The front office blew it this year and I seriously doubt that they will spend the money to bring in any significant free agents in the offseason. Unless they get a little lucky they will be lucky to go .500 next year. DD's bargain bin shopping, platoon players and rule 5 players are not sustainable.

I seriously doubt you have any knowledge of their plans, but your negativity sure is catching on. Congrats.

We'll have quite a bit of money coming off the books this year. So why would we not go out and get some quality guys? Unless you're implying that we're going to shrink the payroll.

28-12. We'll come alive against the AL East teams. Minn has our number. See them in the playoffs, possibly. We're too good to not make at least the wild card.

Archived