Texas back in on vlad ...not happy with os offer

Guest Hayden2004

This is not the first time that Vlad had an offer from the Orioles that he sat on, just patiently waiting for something he liked better to come along. Back in 2003, it must have been about a month between when we made our initial offer and when another team put something on the table. And then -- poof! -- he was gone. There's a pretty decent chance that history is going to repeat itself.

It's not 2003 anymore. I bet he's desperate, and I bet we're seeing what value our other guys have and weighing our own options, slowly.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else get the feeling that Vlad and the O's are the last two in a room full of teenagers making out to pair off. Neither is really interested in the other but if you have to it is better than just sitting there watching. But the truth is it would be great if some more people came over.

Re: Texas, and Vlad's prefernces in general, and why he doesn't want to be an O.

"•The high percentage of Latino players on the Rangers' roster helps the team to maximize on the potential of its prosects, general manager Jon Daniels told Julio E. Castro at the Dominican paper El Caribe. "[Latino players] are the ones that are in charge of advising our prospects, especially those from the Dominican Republic," Daniels said. "Thanks to them, we were able to advance to the World Series last season, and this year, they're key to our goals once again." The Rangers' current 40-man roster includes eight Latino players, down from 12 on last season's roster. Vladimir Guerrero noted last year that the Latino "heart and soul" of the team and its Spanish-friendly clubhouse were key attractions to him as a free agent."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/spanish-links-garcia-belaguer-rangers.html

I find this obsession with "Latino" clubhouses or "white" clubhouses or "place ethnic label here" clubhouses annoying. If Vlad is really that caught up in it, then whatever. Do your thing, bro. Still, I think $2 million is a ridiculous offer. For some reason, I don't feel the same way about $3 million... and $5 million seems quite fair as at least a starting point.

Regardless, I'm starting to turn against the Vlad signing in my heart... Reminds me of the days I would convince myself that the hot girl in class who didn't want to go out with me wasn't really hot anyway... She probably had scabies, etc.

My memory of 2003 is different than some other posters. I remember the Mets heavily involved on Guerrero. The Marlins were also trying to do a creative "Pudge-like" contract with him and we were involved. Anaheim then came in and took him from the other three. I'll go back now and check the old papers, but that is my memory. I don't remember it being like this current scenario.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Vlad and the O's are the last two in a room full of teenagers making out to pair off. Neither is really interested in the other but if you have to it is better than just sitting there watching. But the truth is it would be great if some more people came over.

HA! Perfect analogy... Maybe they just need to get really drunk and take their clothes off.

I find this obsession with "Latino" clubhouses or "white" clubhouses or "place ethnic label here" clubhouses annoying. If Vlad is really that caught up in it, then whatever. Do your thing, bro.

The ethnic issue is pretty important to Vlad. Like it or not, that's the way it was in 2003, and perhaps it is still that way. You'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a team with fewer Latinos than the Orioles.

My guess is that he's waiting for us, not the other way around.
Beware of waiting for the sweater vest. I doubt he's that dumb. He's waiting for the LAAA to give him an offer, any offer, to save him from having to play for the O's. I wonder if his mother will make him retire first.

My memory of 2003 is different than some other posters. I remember the Mets heavily involved on Guerrero. The Marlins were also trying to do a creative "Pudge-like" contract with him and we were involved. Anaheim then came in and took him from the other three. I'll go back now and check the old papers, but that is my memory. I don't remember it being like this current scenario.

I don't think the Marlins were in it at all. The Mets did show up briefly, but only after the Orioles had been in it for several weeks already. My recollection is that about 2 days after the Mets rumor began circulating, the Angels swept in and signed Vlad.

Edit: it was reported as early as December 17 that the O's had offered Vlad 5/$65 mm. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2003-12-16-guerrero_x.htm The Mets' offer was made on January 9, but on January 11 he signed with the Angels. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/sports/baseball-guerrero-turns-his-back-on-the-mets-modest-offer.html

I don't think the Marlins were in it at all. The Mets did show up briefly, but only after the Orioles had been in it for several weeks already. My recollection is that about 2 days after the Mets rumor began circulating, the Angels swept in and signed Vlad.

I am finding the O's made an offer on Dec 30, 2003 and the Mets followed with one on Jan 10th 2004. I'll look for the Marlins thing that I thought I remembered.

Saturday, January 10, 2004

ESPN.com news services

While Vladimir Guerrero continues to be available, an unexpected team may have jumped to the head of the line.

The World Series champion Marlins have made a one-year offer for more than $10 million, and Guerrero's first choice is believed to be Florida, according to Saturday's Newark Star-Ledger.

I am finding the O's made an offer on Dec 30, 2003 and the Mets followed with one on Jan 10th 2004. I'll look for the Marlins thing that I thought I remembered.
Saturday, January 10, 2004

ESPN.com news services

While Vladimir Guerrero continues to be available, an unexpected team may have jumped to the head of the line.

The World Series champion Marlins have made a one-year offer for more than $10 million, and Guerrero's first choice is believed to be Florida, according to Saturday's Newark Star-Ledger.

I forgot about the Marlins' offer, which was pretty pathetic. The O's offer was made much earlier, see my last post (at least Dec. 17, maybe earlier). So, it was more than 2 weeks between the Orioles' offer and the Marlins' pathetic offer (which nevertheless Vlad preferred), and more than 3 weeks between the Orioles' offer and the offers made by New York and Anaheim.

It is so obvious, looking back, that Vlad absolutely did not want to play in Baltimore.

I don't want to get into a discussion of 2003... I've argued that enough over the years on this board.

That said, I never totally bought the argument of Baltimore's limited Hispanic population as being the number 1 reason of why Vlad did not become an Oriole then.

For those that fear it was/could still be an issue, I would suggest that lots of things are different between then and now, including the Hispanic population growth in Baltimore:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12078114

My only point in bringing up 2003 was that I think Vlad's reps knew he was going to have numerous options (4 offers were apparently made). Why he didn't choose us??? This time, IMO it isn't about him not wanting to come here as much as it is pure business. I just don't believe the posts that seem to suggest he is avoiding Baltimore at all costs and has done that in the past, too.

I forgot about the Marlins' offer, which was pretty pathetic. The O's offer was made much earlier, see my last post (at least Dec. 17, maybe earlier). So, it was more than 2 weeks between the Orioles' offer and the Marlins' pathetic offer (which nevertheless Vlad preferred), and more than 3 weeks between the Orioles' offer and the offers made by New York and Anaheim.

It is so obvious, looking back, that Vlad absolutely did not want to play in Baltimore.

Just because he didn't take the first offer, I can't say that he had no interest in playing here. His agents were obviously right in believing other viable options were out there. He ended up with two other very legit offers - one on each coast and one in each league. Obviously we weren't his first choice, though. I'll admit that.

I have always taken exception to the argument that Guerrero was unwilling to play in Baltimore.

That simply is not true, as his agents did provide a counter offer to Baltimore.

The Baltimore FO deemed it too expensive, and never moved off their offer.

Baltimore was not his first choice, but he was willing to play here - at what he determined the 'right price.' Eventually he signed for more $ per year than the O's offer.

Obviously a huge difference now is his age... but one similarity is that I think Vlad will come here for the 'right price', but that we are likely not his ideal option. I'm sure he would like to go a team that he thinks is more likely to contend. He will have to decide what matters most to him... playing everyday or playing PT with a more 'likely' contender.

Agreed on all counts. It apparently just took Nick Green a month to decide to sign here. Now, that offends me much more than any hesitation on Guerrero's part...:)

Archived