Why (and When) did You Become an Oriole Fan ???

OFFNY

tilgaham said:

I became an Orioles fan in the summer of '05 when we had that excellent first half. I would sit down and ice my ankles after football practice and watch the games. Great memories.

o

Great choice, Texan.

Trust me, you did the right thing. llll :awesome: 

The coolest thing in the world (to me) is to be an Oriole fan even though you're not from the Baltimore/northern VA/ Washington DC area. ) :cool:

o

• 1 year later...
OFFNY said:

o

OK, the why for many posters is the obvious ......... some of you grew up in Maryland/Northern Virginia/etc, so you chose the home team. For some of us others, we have different reasons. But for all Oriole fans, at least share with us when you became an Oriole fan. Here is my story. I'd love to hear some more (I'm sure that many are quite interesting.) :)

I have lived my whole life in Brewster, NY, and I love the Orioles (and I hate the Yankees.) I started rooting for the Orioles in October of 1971, when I was a six year-old boy in 1st grade. My whole family was rooting for the Pirates in the World Series because they liked Roberto Clemente ......... so naturally, I rooted for the Orioles)¬¬  )I remember that we won Game 6 when an Orioles runner slid home underneath the Pirates' catcher who had leaped in the air for the throw (I later learned that it was Frank Robinson sliding underneath Manny Sanguillen.) I remember all of the Orioles hugging each other at home plate. The next day was a different story. It was a close game. My family was really excited with the Pirates having a 2-1 lead with only one out to go. I still remember the final out of the ninth inning. It was a groundout. My family whooped it up in the living room, while I went outside and pouted on the swing-set in our back yard in Brewster Heights. I've been bleeding orange and back ever since, and I haven't regretted my decision for one minute of my life. ) :cool:

O

o

In light of the recent thread about Yankee fans calling Oriole fans "band-wagoners," I thought that this would be a fun bump.

Anyone who hasn't chimed in already, please feel free. ) :)

o

After my Gram passed away, my family moved in with Pop to "take care" of him. (That old buzzard was perfectly capable of caring for himself.) As a "tween" and teen, I spent countless hours with Pop watching the O's on HTS. I remember Cal hitting for the cycle in Texas, and Pop explaining to me what "hitting for the cycle" meant. :)

I became a bigtime O's fan after the "Why Not?" season. In '90 and '91, I had MANY random "I feel like going to the ballgame tonight" moments. I think I hit 30-35 games in '90, and probably 40 or so in '91.

I camped out at Memorial Stadium for Final Weekend tickets and attended all three games of the Final Weekend. Despite the loss on Sunday, that final game was just magical. Flanny coming out to get the final outs.....I have no words. I was bawling like a baby during the Field of Dreams segment. Amazing.

I became a 29-game season ticket holder at Camden Yards starting in 1992. Attended the "Open House" workout the Orioles hosted that Friday (?) before Opening Day. I remember stepping through the portal in one of the upper deck sections, seeing the entire ballpark, and quite simply - losing my breath for several seconds.

I attended Cal's 2131 game at Camden Yards as a season ticket holder. Another magical moment. I was also in attendance for the Saturday night 2632 game. No one knew at the time that we were once again witnessing history that night.

I attended playoff games at OPACY in '96 and '97. Was heartbroken when Davey.....ahem...."resigned" after winning MoY.

In 2005 (I think?), I discovered the Hangout. In early 2006, I "met" my future husband via Hangout PM. We eventually met face-to-face, dated several months, got engaged, married, and now have two little Oriole fans we are raising. :D

The life changes these past 4-5 years have minimized my participation in the Hangout and in following the Orioles. I did not renew my season tickets for the 2007 season. We (as a family) have been a few games here and there over the past five seasons, but nothing like my heyday of going to 20+ games a year.

I will admit that I have not fully enjoyed this 2012 season. I spent a large part of it "waiting for the other shoe to drop." September 1st was it for me. I am fully "back on board" the bandwagon. :D

Tonight, I'm attending my first playoff game in fifteen years. :boogie:

• Upvote 2

When I was 6 in 1986. When to an Orioles v. Indians doubleheader. I was obsessed with baseball and so angry that my parents made us leave because my brother (who was 1) was crying.

I became a strong Orioles fan because of Cal Ripken. He maintained my interest in the O's.

When Cal retired, my interest wained. Then I found this place and you could say I'm obsessed again.

I moved to Baltimore in 2005 for school, and really tried to discover the city. Didn't really plan on a new phase of baseball fandom in my life. Camden was as perfect as I'd heard - that and the hot start got me hooked. Bruce Chen, the PanamAsian, was my man. July 9 2005 was the first and only time I sprung for Field Box - it was a glorious day, Bruce dominated the Red Sox, it was the best ballgame I'd ever been to. That offseason I got a Chen #27 jersey. After his 13-win '05, as you know, Bruce hung an 0-fer in '06. I wore that jersey to the ballpark, to Dizzy Issie's in Remington (where I watched games I didn't go to), and around town, and I never saw another Chen jersey, leading me to believe I owned the only one in town. Also, I lived on Yolando Rd. in Ednor Gardens, two blocks from the old Memorial Stadium site - as I passed by I always marveled how small the footprint seemed.

It was a short degree program (looking back I'm amazed how much baseball I squeezed in) and by June 2006 I'd moved to Texas. After a year here I knew I'd be staying a long time and (bracing for the boos) decided to choose a team here to follow. Being roughly equidistant from Houston and Dallas, I gave both ballclubs a chance to win me over. The Astros had a recent pennant and air conditioning. Thank god I picked the Rangers. I'm a pretty serious fan now, and they're my team for life, even if I should move again.

Is it b.s. that you can have a "second" team? I have such great memories of my brief flirtation with the O's. I saw so many current O's as Rangers or at Round Rock (AAA). I still have that Chen jersey - too bad Wei-Yin isn't #27! I'm really happy for you guys, and hope you win it all.

Benny the K said:

I moved to Baltimore in 2005 for school, and really tried to discover the city. Didn't really plan on a new phase of baseball fandom in my life. Camden was as perfect as I'd heard - that and the hot start got me hooked. Bruce Chen, the PanamAsian, was my man. July 9 2005 was the first and only time I sprung for Field Box - it was a glorious day, Bruce dominated the Red Sox, it was the best ballgame I'd ever been to. That offseason I got a Chen #27 jersey. After his 13-win '05, as you know, Bruce hung an 0-fer in '06. I wore that jersey to the ballpark, to Dizzy Issie's in Remington (where I watched games I didn't go to), and around town, and I never saw another Chen jersey, leading me to believe I owned the only one in town. Also, I lived on Yolando Rd. in Ednor Gardens, two blocks from the old Memorial Stadium site - as I passed by I always marveled how small the footprint seemed.

It was a short degree program (looking back I'm amazed how much baseball I squeezed in) and by June 2006 I'd moved to Texas. After a year here I knew I'd be staying a long time and (bracing for the boos) decided to choose a team here to follow. Being roughly equidistant from Houston and Dallas, I gave both ballclubs a chance to win me over. The Astros had a recent pennant and air conditioning. Thank god I picked the Rangers. I'm a pretty serious fan now, and they're my team for life, even if I should move again.

Is it B.S. that you can have a "second" team ??? I have such great memories of my brief flirtation with the O's. I saw so many current O's as Rangers or at Round Rock (AAA). I still have that Chen jersey - too bad Wei-Yin isn't #27! I'm really happy for you guys, and hope you win it all.

o

Perhaps to some, but not to me. I love the White Sox.

o

From birth, it was always about baseball in my house.

My love of the game and the O's grew to obsession because of the 83 post season. Despite being a few months shy of my 6th birthday, I hung on every pitch.

My dad taped every game of the 83 playoffs and I watched them over and over again. I listened to the WFBR highlight tape till I wore it out. The 89 Why Not? video is in my VCR right now.

Words can't express the pride, excitement and emotion as I prepare to attend my first post season game since the 97 ALDS clincher.

December 14 1979, the day I was born. I grew up in Little Italy until we moved to Bel Air when I was 14. The O's were always a strong presence in my family I remember going to games with my grandfather and father and going to a few Colts games as well.