Should Pie have plowed into Joba?

NewMarketSean

It's the 6th inning, we are up by 4 runs. Why not put Felix in for defense? What, Luke has anther AB? Luke who is hitting .211 to Felix' .357? Buck had a choice, he just didn't make it. And it's stupid to think that Felix should have tried to knock over Joba on that play. It was an odd play. No one's at fault there. But not going to Koji in the 9th is what lost this game IMO, and I'm not giving Buck a free ride for playing politics.

SSS much?

Let's blame Felix for this loss. The 185 lbs Felix should have bowled over the 260 lbs Joba. :rolleyestf: He's goofy looking and has a( largely undeserved) reputation for having a low baseball IQ. Never mind that Buck blew this game for a) not playing Felix in LF and b) bringing in Gregg in the 9th instead of Koji.:rolleyestf:

Tony and others have said scouts have questioned Pie's baseball IQ. Are you a scout? Are you an expert? How do you know if it's deserved or not? We get it, your bias has never shined brighter than in this instance.

I'll never quite be able to comprehend how someone who adamantly calls out folks for "BS" and bias opinions is essentially the pot calling the kettle black. Your opposite stances are just as bizarre and in most cases you refuse to look for any type of middle ground. BTW, I'm a huge Felix Pie fan, I still think he can put up a few above average seasons defensive & offensively as a regular.

This place would be all the more powerful if more people were willing to be moved off of their opinion from time to time.

Lastly, since I have not opined on this play. I don't think Pie should have plowed over Joba. It was just an extremly odd play.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name call all you want, that was a horrible play, defend your boy all you want, he is a dumb player and made another dumb play. His time is limited.

Pie is rather dense but his time isnt limited. He is the future unless Reimold starts hitting the cover off the ball.

Look, disagree if you want. You're starting to act like a jackass, though, and I would be glad to go down that road with you if you want. But I'd rather focus on the argument itself.

He didn't go in standing up, and he didn't slide. He did some sort of half-assed...thing that ended with his foot sliding and his body in perfect tag position. He didn't go in low, which is the definition of a slide.

Yeah he halfassed it bad. Pie cannot be counted on to make rational split decisions. The play he should of made is go in hard and bring the damn tree down trying to get his foot on the plate. Risk injury? Yeah it would of been rough but it still is the correct baseball play. If the game mattered. If it doesnt really matter then let the Orioles wear dresses of all I care.

SSS much?

Tony and others have said scouts have questioned Pie's baseball IQ. Are you a scout? Are you an expert? How do you know if it's deserved or not? We get it, your bias has never shined brighter than in this instance.

I'll never quite be able to comprehend how someone who adamantly calls out folks for "BS" and bias opinions is essentially the pot calling the kettle black. Your opposite stances are just as bizarre and in most cases you refuse to look for any type of middle ground. BTW, I'm a huge Felix Pie fan, I still think he can put up a few above average seasons defensive & offensively as a regular.

This place would be all the more powerful if more people were willing to be moved off of their opinion from time to time.

Lastly, since I have not opined on this play. I don't think Pie should have plowed over Joba. It was just an extremly odd play.

Yes Pie is low on the baseball IQ. Remember the play two years ago when he tries to advance to third on a popup catch in the dugout and is thrown out by twenty feet? This is the same Pie.

The bigger issue is Pie should have started the game in left field. Scott cost us a few runs IMO. The ricochet off the backstop hurt Pie's chances, but it was the correct move. The way Pie's injury prone history is, I am glad he didn't collide with the fat reliever

I'm with ya on this one.

100% agree with everything you're saying.

Realistically there is no good answer here. If you plow into him, Pie is giving up 40-50lbs easy. If you are going around Joba, that is not an easy task either as dude seriously is big enough to block the sun much less homeplate. From a competitive/ heads up/ instinctual/ good hard-nosed baseball point of view I think he absolutely has to plow into him there. He had his back to him and dude is blocking the plate- its what you do imo.

Pie slid with his foot directed at the back corner of the plate, farthest away from where Joba was coming from. In real time, without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and five replays, that was one of the best decisions he could have made. He could have slid towards the front corner, recognizing that Joba's momentum might carry him towards the back of the plate, but that is splitting hairs and not something you're going to think about in a split second. And if you watch closely it seems that Joba would still have blocked him if he did that.

Yes, he also could have stayed up and collided, but at the time he started his slide Joba was obviously not where he ended up, so now you have not only a larger target but a moving one as well.

Anyone watching this play at full speed who thinks Pie "half-assed" it is, I think, being a little ridiculous. This play was mostly dumb luck and a little bit of skill on Chamberlain's part. We got a horrible bounce.

Archived