What is wrong with Nick?

21xxxv

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mentioned the lack of doubles from Markakis earlier today. I also mentioned that he has a .325 average in May, with a .809 OPS for the month.

I imagine we will see the extra-bases shortly.

RISP is the key indicator for me. Nick needs to be a RBi machine down in the lineup. Granted, the top of the order has sucked in getting on base, but went they do, delivery is required out of his slot.

Doesn't this thread appear every year right before Nick goes on a tear at the plate and raises his average like 50 points? He's already in a groove and in the top 10 in hits for the month of May in the AL. Nick just needs time and he'll get to .280 - .300 and an OPS around .800.

Runs, HR's TB's and Slugging have all been trending down over the past few years. We need him to start playing like the Nick of old. Clearly realize some of those stats tell a story about how productive players are around you. We will see....

Last 10 games before tonight:

.326/.408/.419/.827

May before tonight:

.325/.387/.422/.809

He's a career .325 BABIP hitter whose 2011 BABIP currently stands at .274. Time will tell what that means.

So far at least, pitchers are pitching him a little differently. He's seeing fewer fastballs and more changeups than ever before.

FB		CH2006		66.7%		9.5%2007		60.0%		10.6%2008		60.9%		8.9%2009		61.7%		8.4%2010		62.7%		8.5%2011		56.8%		12.8%

EDIT: Source for above is fangraphs' Pitch Type data.

Even if he's about to turn it around it's still disappointing and unacceptable. It's damn near Memorial Day, and we shouldn't be talking about this about Markakis at this point. But we are. He's put together a nice average in May, but still nowhere near the amount of power needed.

Even if he's about to turn it around it's still disappointing and unacceptable. It's damn near Memorial Day, and we shouldn't be talking about this about Markakis at this point. But we are. He's put together a nice average in May, but still nowhere near the amount of power needed.

I am glad you said this, because with Nick's popularity on this board it's hard to be objective. I would love to eat these words, but I don't see a #2 or #3 hitter when it comes to production. W are quick to rip AJ, Weiters, and certainly Lee and Reynolds, but when you compare what Nick has put up, it's very disturbing. We tend to overvalue our own.

Oh please don't tell me Nick's season is "unacceptable" after 46 games. He had an unlucky April, and so far a pretty solid May. I'm a little surprised that his doubles are so low, but I think I'll allow him to play the remaining 116 games before deciding if his season is "acceptable" or not.

Sometimes I can't believe this place.

Markakis's last at bat tonight was indicative of his season to me. Jones had just got a 2-out double w/ the O's down 3-2. Facing a middle reliever, right-handed, Nick goes down on strikes and looking rather lame doing it. I just feel like he's lost his mojo.

He HAS to be better. Period. Not only with all around production, but getting the big hit in the clutch.

I dont know what is wrong with him but he is a guy I really had thoughts was going to be a superstar by now. But it just isnt happening for him for whatever reason. After his sophomore season I thought 30 hr 100 rbi would be our due for the next eight to ten years.

Archived