It's official, this offense sucks

brianod

April 30th' date=' Top 8 vs. CHW: bases loaded, no outs, the Orioles score three runs with a 2-run single by Guerrero followed by a sac fly.

May 1st, Top 5 vs. CHW: bases loaded, no outs, Markakis clears the bases with a 3-run double.

May 12th, Bot 12 vs. SEA: bases loaded, no outs, Wieters lines out, but Hardy follows with the game-winning 2-run single.

May 15th, Top 6 vs. TAM: bases loaded, no outs, Hardy hits a grand slam.

May 26th, Bot 11 vs. KC: bases loaded, no outs, Scott and Wieters ground out and GIDP, no runs.

May 27th, Top 2 vs. OAK: bases loaded, no outs, O's get one run on a Reynolds walk, then strikeout and GIDP.

May 29th, Top 5 vs. OAK: bases loaded, no outs, O's get 4 runs on a single, walk, and two groundouts.

I can't guarantee the list is complete, but I did my best.

Seven occurrences

Four times all three runners scored

One time two runners scored, ending the game

One time one runner scored

One time no runners scored[/quote']

Thank you for looking that up.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha. Baltimore Terp is one of the most self satisfied members of this community. He'll find a stat somewhere to refute what we all see with our eyes. After he "proves" whatever lame point he's trying to make, he's more then likely to call the rest of us that can actually see what's going on, ignorant and ill informed. So be it. The offense sucks. I don't need calculus to figure it out.

Yet when the numbers go your way, you happily post them.

I backed it up with opinion, refute it, feel free, otherwise debate it. Your call big guy, but you remind me of a play yard bully. Can't debate it, so you ask for proof. If there was a stat for that, I would gladly yield. I admit I don't know if there is such a stat, can you recall a team with more futility scoring with bases juiced and nobody out? I know I can't.

As O'sFanThruJune showed, you can't recall it because you are wrong.

Almost every single player on the team is hitting below their career averages. The only exceptions are Jones, Wieters, and Andino, who are just above their career numbers and, in the case of Jones and Wieters, still below where they should be. Reimold too, but obviously SSS there.

It's not at all surprising that a few of these players are struggling, but the fact that the entire team is struggling--Guerrero, Scott, Reynolds, Markakis, Hardy, Lee, Roberts, all of whom are good hitters--is just mind boggling. You can lay some of the blame on the front office, but this is mostly on the players. They have the ability, but collectively they are just crapping the bed. Outside of Reimold and maybe Andino, every single player on the team is below where they should be. That's not a management problem. That's a God-hates-the-Orioles problem.

I hear you. I don't necessarily disagree with you. But you will be much better off from a personal health standpoint if you understand now that neither of those guys are going to be playing for us next year.

Yep. I don't see that happening. But it will be interesting to see how this season develops. I could almost see us bringing back two or three of Lee, Vlad, Reynolds and Hardy if they all got healthy and produced for the second half, say.

Almost every single player on the team is hitting below their career averages. The only exceptions are Jones, Wieters, and Andino, who are just above their career numbers and, in the case of Jones and Wieters, still below where they should be. Reimold too, but obviously SSS there.

It's not at all surprising that a few of these players are struggling, but the fact that the entire team is struggling--Guerrero, Scott, Reynolds, Markakis, Hardy, Lee, Roberts, all of whom are good hitters--is just mind boggling. You can lay some of the blame on the front office, but this is mostly on the players. They have the ability, but collectively they are just crapping the bed. Outside of Reimold and maybe Andino, every single player on the team is below where they should be. That's not a management problem. That's a God-hates-the-Orioles problem.

I was pretty excited about this lineup going into the year, hoping that we'd stay healthy, stave off father time for a year, and get a bunch of bounce-back years. (But) this one really can't be blamed on God too much. I mean, much as I hoped this lineup would produce, clearly

Vlad and Lee were aging.

Roberts was aging and a health risk.

Hardy was a huge health risk.

Reynolds had huge holes in his game.

Markakis had been in decline since 2008.

Scott, as it turns out, has been playing injured. Did we know about that in spring training?

Anyway, the point is, there's really nothing going on here that couldn't have been anticipated - meaning that the front office could've come out smelling like roses if everything broke well, or it could've come out smelling like goats if things went this way - but there's nothing apocolyptic going on here. Markakis' fall from grace is the closest thing, and so far I'm hoping that there's some kind of Nolan-esqe explanation (physical, emotional, or both). Apart from Markakis, which player's season couldn't you have anticipated? I don't mean that any of us would've projected this set of results, but I think every player's season so far is perfectly reasonable.

I was pretty excited about this lineup going into the year, hoping that we'd stay healthy, stave off father time for a year, and get a bunch of bounce-back years. (But) this one really can't be blamed on God too much. I mean, much as I hoped this lineup would produce, clearly

Vlad and Lee were aging.

Roberts was aging and a health risk.

Hardy was a huge health risk.

Reynolds had huge holes in his game.

Markakis had been in decline since 2008.

Scott, as it turns out, has been playing injured. Did we know about that in spring training?

Anyway, the point is, there's really nothing going on here that couldn't have been anticipated - meaning that the front office could've come out smelling like roses if everything broke well, or it could've come out smelling like goats if things went this way - but there's nothing apocolyptic going on here.

Of course there were some risks and, as you mentioned, each individual player's sub par performance could have been anticipated. Individual being the key word. No it's not that strange that Guerrero isn't hitting that well. Nor is it that strange that Markakis is having a down season. Or that Reynolds has struggled. But the fact that all of them have struggled is something more.

Yes, you could have anticipated, even expected, that a few players would struggle. You would also anticipate, however, that a few players would play up to their ability level, and, in one or two instances, even surpass their career numbers. That's what's so mind boggling. That virtually everything, at least on the hitting end of things, has broken against the Orioles. Not only have the position players been bad to very bad at the plate, but we've been gutted by injuries.

To list the faults of individual players and suggest we could have anticipated these problems is to miss the point. If you were to flip a coin 10-11 times, obviously you would anticipate a number of them to come up heads. But you wouldn't anticipate them to all come up heads, which is what is happening.

You dont think the fact the Orioles aquired Guerrero, Lee, Hardy and Reynolds for a song had something to do with other team executives opinions on these players? Its not like they were expected to dominate and make the Orioles a wild card contender. At least no one outside the team thought so. Besides Lee not hitting at all, they have all pretty much fulfilled expectations. Its Markakis, Roberts, Wieters who have failed to do much of anything this year, IMO.

I know no one likes to talk about 2010, but I should point out that none of those free agent aquisitions worked out either (Atkins, Tejada). If anything, they could have brought back Corey Patterson, who did play ok after signing after the season started. But they didnt.

Yes...managers and coaches don't mean that much. Maybe now and then you get a Dave Duncan, but not often.

So, even the results produced are awful and awful on a consistent, long term basis, managers and coaches should never be fired?(unless they commit some kind of a crime or something like that)

So, even the results produced are awful and awful on a consistent, long term basis, managers and coaches should never be fired?(unless they commit some kind of a crime or something like that)

But we've changed coaches many times, and it hasn't had an effect. How do you explain that?

We've fired plenty of managers, a lot of coaches. The only one who stayed was Crow, and when we replaced him the results were worse. I'd say it's not the managers and coaches, it's the crappy players.

Archived