It's official, this offense sucks

brianod

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andino is fine at SS. He's outproduced Hardy and doesn't seem to be as fragile. I'd love to resign Hardy but after this year, Hardy should not cost a ton. I think we can do a Roberts to Machado transition. Brian probably has 2-3 years left.

You really want Andino starting at SS full time? Also I highly doubt we have 2-3 solid years of B-Rob left, he hasn't had a healthy season in the last 2 years and even when he was playing this season his offense wasn't nearly what it used to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have Brian starting for us at the beginning of next season but I highly doubt he'll ever have another season where he plays the majority of games, he just hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy in the last few years.

Andino is fine at SS. He's outproduced Hardy and doesn't seem to be as fragile. I'd love to resign Hardy but after this year, Hardy should not cost a ton. I think we can do a Roberts to Machado transition. Brian probably has 2-3 years left. We could get lucky and get a full year out of him next year. By the time Roberts is done, Machado should be ready, Andino, Hardy or someone else can play 2b. Reynolds is ok at 3rd. Not great, but not even the Yanks have a superstar at every position. Pie is not a starter and never will be. I'm done with him. He's a fine backup. We may get lucky with Nolan, but I don't think so. Give him every shot the rest of this year. He may end up a full time starter. I think we don't resign Vlad and we don't resign Lee. We then sign a big name 1b, hope for the best in Riemold with Pie backing him up and DH Scott with a companion who hits RH. We don't need to blow it up, we need a super investment in the minors with one major free agent for the majors.

w

Roberts has turned into an injury plagued veteran who's production is questionable when he's able to play. That being said, this offense dearly misses him because there is no replacement. Nick has been in a decline for a couple of years now. I keep hearing how he has a hitting streak and I keep watching the games and he keeps doing nothing productive. He is either the worst #3 in the major leagues or a weak #2. Even if he starts producing like last year, that will only elevate him to a below average #3 and an average #2. Derek Lee is like Roberts, aging, injury prone and unproductive when he plays. Vlad is a great #6 hitter batting 4th. Luke Scott is hurt and very streaky. The league seems to have figured out that he can't hit lefties, he can't hit a breaking pitch and he doesn't seem to have found the answer. Adam Jones is a good hitter without a lot of plate discipline. He should be hitting 5-7 like Vlad because his obp doesn't warrant 2 or 3. Wieters has developed into a fine catcher who is about the only guy I want to see up in a clutch situation. That being said, he has displayed little home run power and is one of the slowest baserunners I have ever seen. Today's game where he fails to score with two outs and a gapper that goes all the way to the fence in Oakland is a prime example of how it takes 2-3 hits after he gets on to score him. Hardy shows some offensive promise, but he's injury prone and is currently hitting 247 with little power. Reynolds? He's about what everyone expected, a below average defensive player who has some pop but his pace for 22 home runs is very disappointing. So, will things get better? I think so. Marginally. But, we are who we are. An average offense in a small park and a horrible offense in a large park...

Logic?

You really want Andino starting at SS full time? Also I highly doubt we have 2-3 solid years of B-Rob left, he hasn't had a healthy season in the last 2 years and even when he was playing this season his offense wasn't nearly what it used to be. I wouldn't be surprised to see us have Brian starting for us at the beginning of next season but I highly doubt he'll ever have another season where he plays the majority of games, he just hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy in the last few years.

See, the thing is that, since the main issue is him having a series of significant injuries, he is the kind of player that could put together several full healthy seasons over the remainder of his career. The problem is that there is no way of knowing when those seasons will come around. At this point he is likely untradeable, so we pretty much have to hope that he can be healthy and productive enough to contribute at least another year or two, or (in a worst-case no one should be rooting for) completely fall off the face of the earth and retire.

Logic?

"The offense dearly misses him" "we might get lucky and get a full year out of him next year"

My point is completely consistent. Roberts is an aging vet who can't seem to stay on the field. BUT, he's not done and we may get a year or two out of him. No team, even with an unlimited budget, can address every eventuality. I'm saying we take a chance on Roberts giving us another year or two because we really don't have many options.

The thread is fine, but it's also fair game if and when we win 5 out of 6, or 8 out of 10. I suspect that we will sometime over the next 111 games.

Nah. The fact that we've done already several times this season, or that if you look at the numbers the offense IS improving, means nothing.

Nah. The fact that we've done already several times this season, or that if you look at the numbers the offense IS improving, means nothing.

It's painfully obvious that if the O's don't hit homeruns, they don't score. They lack team speed. They lack plate discipline. When they play in huge parks, they will struggle mightily. They don't get on base and when they get on base, they are required to go station to station. That's a big anchor around any offenses neck. The obp/slg pct of the first four batters today: 250, 333; 319, 327; 320, 440; 325, 419. It gets much worse from there. You can say the offense is improving, and my response is what else could it do?

Well good, as long as it is now official.

Oh, and how someone can start a thread declaring the ineptitude of the offense yet in the same thread claim Robert Andino's offense at shortstop is "fine" is completely insane.

You're credibility should be shot after declaring that you hope Chris Tillman becomes the next Jamie Moyer, clown.

The offense is a joke. Every player under performs in Baltimore after a contract, including the homegrown players.

Sometimes I ask myself, are we in better shape now than when McPhail took over? No. We have no long term plans anywhere, no minor league system and base all hope for the future on a decent starting pitching staff (who's two former prospects were just sent down)

I agree that the offense has improved, and I also think they will get better as the season goes on. There is nothing wrong with being a bit down, but what I see is a team that is playing like a .500 team. They may win 5 or so, then drop a few. I guess alot of folks were allowing themselves to be a little more excited than they should have.

Archived