Trading Adam Jones

Scrat1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? Farm systems not good?

The Rangers dropped Julio Borbon and have Endy Chavez in CF. He's tearing it up in a small sample size, but he's little more than a replacement player. I would think they'd be thrilled to get Jones.

The Brewers have Carlos Gomez in CF.

The Giants OF is horrible.

The Brewers have Niger Morgan currently and he's doing well. As a contender they need pitching. same for Texas, think Guthrie not Jones. The Giants need a SS, before they need an OF, they'd be a good fit for Hardy..

I'm just saying if you trade Jones, who do you build around?

What's left other than Wieters? Nick is gone after 2014. Reynolds is gone after 2013.

I think the point is Jones isn't likely a great candidate to build around and he'd net more back than he's probably worth.

The Brewers have Niger Morgan currently and he's doing well. As a contender they need pitching. same for Texas, think Guthrie not Jones. The Giants need a SS, before they need an OF, they'd be a good fit for Hardy..

Yes...and SF could use some offense that Hardy would provide as well. He seems like a perfect fit for them.

You build around the starting ptching you get back.

Who is going to hit and catch the ball?

We have no minor league positional depth nor will you get much back in the trades that are proposed.

Our players simply aren't attractive enough to bring back multiple quality position players.

What's left other than Wieters? Nick is gone after 2014. Reynolds is gone after 2013.

Clearly you build around the minor league talent you've amassing.

Hold on a sec.....

Nevermind, I just checked the MiL rosters. I guess you build around Wieters, the arms, Reynolds as your DH, Markakis for the remainder of his K and of course anything you are getting back in the various trades. Giving a questionable deal to Jones just because there don't seem to be better options is not an example of good decision making.

And what is Pie going to show us that he hasn't been able to show before?

While I agree that Pie isn't the answer, when it comes to Jones I think it's time to sell while the value is high. With as many holes as this club has now and the forseeable future, it's time to start plugging holes. Of course, if you decide to move Jones, it better not be the only significant move they make.

Jones is one of the players who's probably overrated both among Orioles fans and around the league. He's not the type of guy you build around. He doesn't have great defense. He doesn't hit for average. He doesn't get on base at a great clip. He doesn't have great power.

Why would we build around him other than image?

The Brewers have Niger Morgan currently and he's doing well. As a contender they need pitching. same for Texas, think Guthrie not Jones. The Giants need a SS, before they need an OF, they'd be a good fit for gHardy..

Well, every team needs pitching and a lot of teams could use Hardy. Still not sure that Jones wouldn't be sought after by those teams. Good point on Morgan though, I didn't realize how well he was doing. Oddly enough, I'd more in favor of extending Hardy than Jones at this point.

Clearly you build around the minor league talent you've amassing.

Hold on a sec.....

Nevermind, I just checked the MiL rosters. I guess you build around Wieters, the arms, Reynolds as your DH, Markakis for the remainder of his K and of course anything you are getting back in the various trades. Giving a questionable deal to Jones just because there don't seem to be better options is not an example of good decision making.

You give the deal to Jones because he's your Torii Hunter, the guy that is the core of the team.

Wieters is not that guy, Markakis is not that guy.

You can't just assume you'll find that guy in the trades you make, especially for the little talent we have to offer.

I think this is all moot though because Showalter loves Jones and the team has him as one of their faces so I doubt he's going anywhere.

You give the deal to Jones because he's your Torii Hunter, the guy that is the core of the team.

What besides looks, position played and poor OBP do Hunter and Jones have in common? Hunter was a much better defensive player and had more power. He also had a better personality, frankly.

Archived